I really wouldn't mind the power and feel of an electric drivetrain, although I would miss the auditory pleasures that go with a nice IC engine. My problems with electric cars are related to the batteries:
- The manufacturing process is extremely dirty.
- The power production for charging can also be extremely dirty. You're simply moving the pollution away from you.
- Range is limited unless you have room for a large battery pack. I can't see that being the case in a Speedster. Having a large battery pack quickly increases weight, to the detriment of handling and performance.
- Charging time is extremely long - hours versus minutes for a gas fill-up. This may be my biggest gripe.
- The currently predominant lithium battery technology seems prone to devastating fires.
- Batteries require replacement after a few years, at considerable cost. This reduces resale value considerably.
A lot of progress has been made in recent years, and the momentum toward electric dominance will ensure that it continues, but for now I'll stick with suck/squeeze/bang/blow.