Reply to "Maui garage find Intermeccanica rebuild"

I did my top end over the summer. I didn't bother splitting the case, great oil pressure, no knocks, and 0.005" endplay. When Jake built the engine 45,000 miles ago, it was fully blueprinted and balanced. I replaced the pressure plate(as it had some bent fingers) and crank pulley(JayCee with hidden spark trigger wheel from the Dub Shop, machining and fabrication by me). So the whole assembly of pulley/crank/flywheel/pressure plate was no longer a balanced/indexed unit. Some people gave me flack for not splitting the case and re-balancing. It runs like a top, and I can discern no imbalance whatsoever, as smooth as it always was.

However, I did change the pistons and cylinders. New Brazilian Mahle 94mm "B" pistons for mild stroke(78mm). They were off a bit, I ended up removing 2 grams from one piston, and almost 6 from another to get them all the same. I used a grinder then a flexible small disc sander to smooth on the 2 gram heavy piston. On the 6 gram heavy, I took it to my friend Mike's and removed the 6 grams on a Bridgeport mill. All material was removed from the underside of the crown. 6 grams of aluminum was better than 1/16" deep and about 2 square inches and included the grinding boss.

Rods were already end-balanced when Jake built it, and all my piston pins were right on the money, no weight to remove there. Also had the heads redone so I'm basically back to a new engine again.

Keep going Mike, you got this! I really enjoy your posts.

Last edited by DannyP
×
×
×
×
×