I'm like you, I tend to over do things at times. It took almost four years, but I built my Speedster with everything new or refurbished down to the last bolt and wire, except for one part. I used a transaxle that came with the unassembled pile of parts that I purchased. The PO told me that he had gotten it in a trade and that it was a rebuilt unit. It had nice black paint and the remnants of a tag and I assumed it was in good condition. It was not. The one part that I took at face value is the only failure that I have had in my car. It has popped out of 3rd gear when I let off the gas ever since day one and now whines like crazy in 1st and 2nd.
I guess the moral of this story is to leave no stone unturned. Now is the best opportunity to make sure that every last part is right. Besides, on a VW platform, almost everything is pretty easy! Looking good!