Skip to main content

I'm just curious about how fast these super light cars are. Anyone have an idea of these times with different sized motors? I'm looking at either a spyder kit or speedster to build myself. I'm a Porsche nut and race vintage 911's. If you caould post times that would be great. Also any new infor for a newbie that I should know before ordering. Thanks,
Chad

FYI if you want to see our racecars (911's) goto www.plavaracing.com
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm just curious about how fast these super light cars are. Anyone have an idea of these times with different sized motors? I'm looking at either a spyder kit or speedster to build myself. I'm a Porsche nut and race vintage 911's. If you caould post times that would be great. Also any new infor for a newbie that I should know before ordering. Thanks,
Chad

FYI if you want to see our racecars (911's) goto www.plavaracing.com
Chad,

I have not timed my spyder. But, I raced against a new Corvette Z06 about 1 month or 2 ago. The guy could not beleive that a 2.3l VW Type1 engine left his brand new red Z06 in the dust, of course he did catch up, but not before we reached 100 mph :-D My car's weight is 1150 lbs with approx 180hp and the 0-60 is somewhere in the lower 4 seconds and it tops at about 135 mph with a 4 speed transaxle. I highly recommend to restudy the aerodynamics of the Spyder if you want to go faster, because it may take off without adding wings.

550 Spyder => "Giant Killer"

Martin
Hey Chad,

I am one of the guys that enquired about your old red RS clone. Anyway, I have not "formally" timed my Vintage 550, but can say my experience is pretty much like Martin's. I have a 2.1 liter Type 1 in my car and am running at about 1200lbs. Zero-60 is somewhere around 5.5 seconds by my reckoning. I can also echo Martin's comments about hanging with other cars with heavier iron at least up until around 90-100mph (I have personally done so against a Viper). However, the front-end begins to get really light and it is serious white-knuckle time from there on.

Chris
I would think traction would be the biggest accelleration problem for a Spyder replica if you have over 150 BHP and a 1,200 lb. car. Of course a ZF limited slip or torque-biased differential would help if you have wheelspin problems.

My new (in process) IM Speedster will weigh in at about 1,800 lbs. and have a 200 to 215 BHP 2,387cc type 1 engine hooked up to a custom close ratio 901 5-speed and torque-biased LSD. Hopefully 0-60 will be in the low 5 range and 1/4 mile in mid to high 12s.

A Spyder with IRS instead of swing axle rear suspension would be nice...
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.