Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Of course you have flat spots and hesitation under acceleration. The 34 PICT carbs has a vacuum port. Said vacuum port is intended to work with the vacuum advance in a stock dizzy.

You will note that a 009 dizzy does not have a vacuum advance (mechanical only). This incompatibility is the root of the problem.

If you play with richer jets, you may actually get the combo to perform in some sort of acceptable fashion. But Why? (In addition to some remaining hesitation problems, you shoot your gas mileage in the head. Also you will shorten engine life because the rich mixture tends to wash the oil off the cylinder walls. Thus you can pay it now AND pay it later.)

If you use a vacuum advance carb, use a vacuum advance dizzy. If you want to use the 009, try a nice set of dual Webers in the appropriate size for your engine. The boys/girls/freaks at perhaps CP performance or Total Performance Parts will be happy to talk you through a practical setup. KEEP YOUR HAND ON YOUR WALLET AT ALL TIMES!
I have been running this combination on my 62 beetle. No problems. This problem could be many things; timing, plugged/dirty carb, plugs, wires, distributor cap, points. Make sure that you use a small hose and plug for the vacuum port on carb. Vacuum runs advance on distributor. The vacuum port has no affect on carbs unless the port is not plugged up.

009 distributors have a small lag. Use the Pertronix electronic ignition kit for the 009.

(Message Edited 2/12/2003 9:27:19 AM)
Aloha,

Yes, the 009 is not the best dizzy for stock carb applications. However, your problems seem to be more related to a dirty carb. Like stated above, take out the jets and blow compressed air through them. Make sure they're good and clean. Is this a new carb or rebuilt? If its rebuilt, it sounds like it is still clogged somewhere in the progression circuits.

If you run a 34 PICT carb, it is best to run a vaccum advance dizzy. You can use a stock one, or for the best results, use a Mallory Unilite vaccum advance dizzy. Completely adjustable for any carbs that have vaccum ports stock or have vaccum ports added. Dual Webers won't necessarily make an 009 run any better. For the ACVW as a daily driver, a vaccum advance dizzy is the way to go for any carb setup. If you want a racecar...then you can go with other options.

aloha,
Joel
i just had a new pair of 40 idf webers put in, along with a petronixII ignition and flamethrowerII coil on a basically stock 1776. i believe i have the 009 dist., and it also hesitates under acceleration and idles near 1100.

the guy who installed and synced the carbs supposedly has years of mechanical experience and he told me it's normal.

i'm no tech guru, but this seems a bit strange.

any thoughts?
-Antonio
I don't think it's normal. With careful setup of the Webers and correct ignition timing you probably shouldn't have any flat spots. Email me which venturis, emulsion tubes, and jets are installed, your ignition total advance setting, and I'll see if I can make a recommendation that may work.
ok,
i brought the engine up to a decent operating temperature, tinkered with the timing, and drove the car around. i didn't notice the hesitation anymore. i advanced the timing "blindly" because i have no way of determining the "total advance" measurment.

do i need a special gague to measure this, or it this better left to those who know exaclty what they are doing (not my non-mechanical hands)?

thanks guys!

-ab
Antonio, there should be a notch (or several) in the outer pulley rim if it's stock; the first one (rightmost) would be idle advance and the second or last would be TDC. Measure the diameter of the pulley accurately in inches, then multiply by pi (3.14159) to get pulley circumference. Then divide that by 360 and you have fractions of an inch per degree. You can measure off on the pulley rim and mark with masking tape to get an idea, but better you should have someone with a timing light that knows VWs check it for you.
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.