Skip to main content

After returning home from a GREAT West Coast Cruise, I confirmed my SHPEEDY's problem was a dying alternator. Unfortunately, the unit's identifying model numbers have worn down and become illegible. Do any of the knuckleheads out there, with a "sister" engine to mine (12v 1915cc built late 2008), know exactly what alternator woulda/coulda/shoulda replace my dead one?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@Napa Paul posted:

After returning home from a GREAT West Coast Cruise, I confirmed my SHPEEDY's problem was a dying alternator. Unfortunately, the unit's identifying model numbers have worn down and become illegible. Do any of the knuckleheads out there, with a "sister" engine to mine (12v 1915cc built late 2008), know exactly what alternator woulda/coulda/shoulda replace my dead one?

@GomerPk  and @Gordon Nichols: Thanks for the replies! I've found the correct unit (Bosch AL82N) on Amazon and it'll be delivered next week.

They do sell the internal voltage regulator for the VW Bosch alternator - there are 2 versions though.  The least expensive is $22 and the other is $40.  (Aftermarket ones are about 1/2 that price). The one that fits up front doesn't require the often-laborious removal of the whole alternator - it's a 5 minute job (3 screws out in the open on top of alternator).  Not sure if these fit the Chinese knock offs. A quality Bosch alternator is over $200!

Voltage Regulator for Bosch AL-82 Alternator (Internally Regulated), 9190087003 - Aircooled.Net VW Parts

AL-82 Voltage Regulator WITH HIGHER VOLTAGE SET POINT (14.5V), Fits Bosch AL-82 Alternators - Volkswagen Aircooled.Net VW Parts

AL-82 Voltage Regulator WITH HIGHER VOLTAGE SET POINT [14.5V), Fits Bosch AL-82 AlternatorsSee the source image

Last edited by WOLFGANG
@wombat posted:

Most of the newer alternators I've seen have built in regulators/converters. Gotta swap out the whole unit.

Yes, they're built-in, but still replaceable. Did I buy a $400-600 dollar alternator for my Cayman?

Nope. I bought the $35 regulator with new brushes and replaced it myself.

That's probably an easy $1000 at the dealer, maybe $800 at an indie shop.

Last edited by DannyP
@WOLFGANG posted:

They do sell the internal voltage regulator for the VW Bosch alternator - there are 2 versions though.  The least expensive is $22 and the other is $40.  (Aftermarket ones are about 1/2 that price). The one that fits up front doesn't require the often-laborious removal of the whole alternator - it's a 5 minute job (3 screws out in the open on top of alternator).  Not sure if these fit the Chinese knock offs. A quality Bosch alternator is over $200!

Voltage Regulator for Bosch AL-82 Alternator (Internally Regulated), 9190087003 - Aircooled.Net VW Parts

AL-82 Voltage Regulator WITH HIGHER VOLTAGE SET POINT (14.5V), Fits Bosch AL-82 Alternators - Volkswagen Aircooled.Net VW Parts

AL-82 Voltage Regulator WITH HIGHER VOLTAGE SET POINT [14.5V), Fits Bosch AL-82 AlternatorsSee the source image

Now the question is; would they be in stock? And on top of that the almost inevitable price increase.....

I think we started with a “Bag Phone” in my wife’s Jeep somewhere around 1992 and shortly after that I ended up with an early Moto flip phone that seemed about the size of a half brick.  

Interesting Motorola background story:  Way back in my career I worked at the Data General Computer Company and the Marketing Manager for my stuff was Ed Zander.  He went on much later (after running Sun Systems for a while) to become the CEO of Motorola and credits himself with introducing the Motorola Razr cell phone.  Ed was sharp but had a lot if internal Motorola problems to overcome (like a lot of “warring tribes” and late adoption of 3G).   He is credited with giving Steve Jobs the idea of integrating an iPod and music into a phone (unconfirmed by me) and creating a “smart phone” which Apple did and sold the ITunes software to Motorola, which they did very little with (they couldn’t integrate it with their chips/operating system on the Razr).

Meanwhile, Apple introduced the iPhone with iPod and internet integration (thanks, Ed, but we just killed your product!) and a horde of apps and Ed rode the Motorola Razr into the sunset like Slim Pickens riding his Nuke from the bomber in “Dr. Strangelove”.  Shortly after that, Motorola dumped something like 10 million non-iTune Razr phones on the market with no follow-on product.  Ed was ousted in 2008 and been mostly retired ever since, serving on a Board here and there.  He was the only marketing guy I knew back then who actually understood how computers worked but paid too much attention to the “No” people around him.

Last edited by Gordon Nichols

Mike, people with regular old twisted-pair copper service are STILL using 5ESS switches throughout Verizon.

Cell-phones though: In 1989, I worked for Cellular One, who eventually were bought by AT&T. We were part of the analog cell network. We were reselling NYNEX Mobile service, then got our own network up and running, but don't ask me what switch we were using. I had almost zero network knowledge back then.

Cutover day was a MARATHON. We had to re-program EVERY phone that day with new phone numbers. Some brands still used an EPROM to retain the information. So we had to get to the phone(which was a HUGE brick mounted in the trunk), take it out, remove the chip, burn a new one, replace it all, then TEST the phone to make sure it worked. The programmable phones were much easier.

I went to both Uniden and OKI technician schools, learned how to take the phones apart and fix them or alter them(handsfree echo and feedback problems). By the time I worked there, handheld phones were prevalent but not ubiquitous. We installed the phones every day. I had a transportable with a car-kit. It slid into a bracket in the trunk, screw the antenna cable on, and take the handset up front and plug it into the cradle. FCC limit was 3 watts, my personal phone put out 3.8 after I tweaked it. I NEVER dropped a call.

Two years later I got my forever job at NY Tel/NYNEX/Bell Atlantic/Verizon in 1991.

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.