Skip to main content

Bob: IM S6 posted:
Bill Prout posted:

I've said it many times, 17's just don't look right for how short a speedster is. 16's are perfect. guys running rubber band wrapped 17's are not driving their cars daily. One bad pot hole and your rim is done!

Bill:  17 inch wheels with 50 series tires look okay.  30 series tires would be extreme, IMHO.

Consider that a 17" wheel is only 1/2" more than a 16" wheel at each spot around the circumference...

Well that sounds about right, 1/2 in on top and 1/2 in on the bottom for an whole inch in total  

Wow...Really late to this rodeo (been elsewhere, practicing my 7 memorized words of Quechua) and I have a real keyboard for the first time in over two weeks, but you've done your homework, Bob - 17" wheels with intriguing spokes are the bomb on a Speedstah, just avoid the "thick-rubber-band" tire look.  

(Look! Easy new-lines!!)  My Nissan Rogue came originally with 18", Z-Rated short-sidewall 40 series tires.  Looked cool as Hell.  Rode like Hell, too.  Can you say "WICKED STIFF"????  

Replaced those with "H"-rated 50-series rubber to a dramatic improvement in ride while handling remained almost the same.  Besides, where am I ever gonna take a NIssan Rogue on the track?  Did it really NEED tires rated for 160 mph?  Hell, NO!  Looking forward to seeing what you end up with later this week when I'm back.  

I had 17s on a wide-body for awhile. Too harsh a ride. Went to 15s (Empi rims) and something like 65 series tires and the ride improved big time. Lousy roads in Mass. though.  Plenty of tires to choose from and fairly inexpensive as well. I really don't believe that the VW chassis was made for such big tires anyway. My .02.

Frank C. posted:

I had 17s on a wide-body for awhile. Too harsh a ride. Went to 15s (Empi rims) and something like 65 series tires and the ride improved big time. Lousy roads in Mass. though.  Plenty of tires to choose from and fairly inexpensive as well. I really don't believe that the VW chassis was made for such big tires anyway. My .02.

He's not on a VW chassis.

Add Reply

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.