Skip to main content

I've wanted different wheels for my car since Henry built it, and am ready to order a set.  But, I need some advice from the collective intelligence on this site.  Currently, I am running 16" wheels on my IM6, but am looking at ordering a new set of wheels.  I am considering going to 17", but I am not sure of the advantages of doing so.  Of course, lower profile tires may give better handling, etc.  Staying at 16" means I can use the current tires which are in decent shape, but that's not a major consideration.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?  I like the look of this IM6 with 17" wheels.  This is Matt Stoich's IM6. (copy and paste)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/65579473@N08/8404051541/in/album-72157632580459327/

Last edited by Bob: IM S6
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You have enough suspension, Bob, to make 17" wheels work and not destroy the ride, so if you've found some you like, have at it! As Lane said, the selection of high performance tires is greater for the larger size, and with time 16" wheels and tires may start to go the way the 15" size has, so it's probably the smart move in the (maybe not so) long run. And I agree with Lane- Matt's car looks great with those wheels. Whether like that or paint detailed (either black or your car color only darker) it'll look stunning!

How's it in the center of the country? btw- spring's been here for about a week... - your Wet Coast buddy Al!

Bob,

Normally I'm not a fan of 17s, as they generally look pretty big (to my eye at least). But Matt's car completely nailed it. Those wheels are the mac-daddy. And as Lane pointed out, the selection of really good rubber (Pilot Sports, etc.) really starts at 17".

I'm old enough that I still remember rolling 14s on Camaros, etc, so 16s seem like they ought to be big enough for good rubber, and while the selection is better in 16" than 15", it's still nowhere near as good as in 17".

Stan: Unfortunately, the place Matt got to make his wheels no longer makes them, but I think I can get close with Image Wheels.  I think it's the full silver colour on the wheels that hits the right spot.

http://www.imagewheels.co.uk/b...c-build-alloy-wheel/

Yes, I'd go with Michelin PS, as I can get them in the two sizes I will need (front and back).  205/50 17 front and 225/45 17 rear.

Last edited by Bob: IM S6

I do think that 17 would be max in my opinion as the ride gets stiffer and stiffer. When IM built the KARdashian and put 18 inch low profile it gavr it a roller skate look 

I for one do not want to ride that over a lot of rough roads I already find that bilstein gaz all around is stiff enough when i go over a rough patch on city streets 

Bob it is  too bad you cant try something out

just saying

The 15's give the smoothest ride for sure.

As I mentioned with 16's and the 911 front end sway bars front and rear, and the trailing arms, with full bilsteins... on a rough surface road in the city the ride in my opinion is roughish... but when your on a good road or at speed it really hold the road well.  So for me 16's are all I would tolerate for highway driving.  Now the 17's with the proper sidewall, and you recalibrate the speedo could do fine as well but it will be stiffer

As for Too harsh a ride with a low profile 17 to me it is the same as with Jonathan 18 inch low profile that I posted above it would be impossible to go for a long trip with those and not get beat up  Ah Bob, you will have two sets now 17inch for track and the 16inch for travel  

calmotion posted:

@MusbJim how did they fit all that  rim in a non wide body / flared  tub. Those are almost non existent side wall. What’s your thought on the ride quality. 

I think you mentioned awesome grip and handling. 

Kevin describes his and Doug's cars as as smooth riding as it gets and handling like go carts (I'm paraphrasing here). Both have front and rear Mendeola suspensions which are more compact (especially the rear) and allow more wheel/tire under the fenders. I believe both guys are running 205/45's (24.3" tall) on the front and 215/45's (24.6") on the back, all on 7" rims. The 911 and Mendeola front suspensions both ride nicer than a VW beam and trailing arm assembly so you can run less sidewall, but whether a wheel/tire combo is acceptable for you is going to be rather subjective. 

And yeah, with summer performance tires in those widths, 'awesome grip and handling' probably doesn't begin to describe the experience... Al

As with anything regarding outfitting our replica Speedsters (color, engine, wide-body, classic body, wheels, tires, etc.), its all a matter of personal preference and budget. 

@calmotion I believe that ALB's explanation best answers your question about the wheel/tire fitment.

I'm curious as to how many have actually ridden in a Speedster with finely tuned A-arm suspension. 

Last edited by MusbJim

It appears to me that there are different types of Fuch style 17" wheels.  Matt's car in the photo at the top of this thread has 17" wheels, but the spokes don't extend all the way to the rim and they look good.  Other 17" Fuch style wheels have spokes that are much longer and extend all the way to the rim, like these Empi 17s and in my opinion they just don't look right.wheel

Attachments

Images (1)
  • wheel
Troy Sloan posted:

It appears to me that there are different types of Fuch style 17" wheels.  Matt's car in the photo at the top of this thread has 17" wheels, but the spokes don't extend all the way to the rim and they look good.  Other 17" Fuch style wheels have spokes that are much longer and extend all the way to the rim, like these Empi 17s and in my opinion they just don't look right.wheel

You are right, Troy; some copies do look better than others, no matter what the size. The wheel pictured is also not detailed like an original 15" Fuchs. To look more like an oem wheel, the sides of the spokes, or petals, should not be painted, but polished, and have a softer, or more radiussed top to side edge.

And what @MusbJim said is right- I'm looking forward to one day getting my first ride in a non-VW suspended Speedster! 

Last edited by ALB
Bill Prout posted:

I've said it many times, 17's just don't look right for how short a speedster is. 16's are perfect. guys running rubber band wrapped 17's are not driving their cars daily. One bad pot hole and your rim is done!

Bill:  17 inch wheels with 50 series tires look okay.  30 series tires would be extreme, IMHO.

Consider that a 17" wheel is only 1/2" more than a 16" wheel at each spot around the circumference...

Add Reply

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.