Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thank you both. What type/brand of carbs is/are the preferred choice?
I have read about Kadrons, Weber (different types) etc. but it's good to hear of anyone's experiences. The car does have an Ansa exhaust. Comments on that?

Here I am - I've just owned the car since Saturday and already I'm investigating modifications!

What is it about these cars that is so addictive/wallet depleting?

Robert
Hi Robert,
Remember, that motor started life in 1966 as a single port 1300cc. Dual port heads would be nice. My suggestion would be, for what it would cost to put dual port heads, dual carbs, nice distributer with electronic ignition and a better exhaust on that motor, you might be able to find a nicer, newer motor already built. I'd say, drive it like it is until you buy or build a better motor, and you could swap them out in an afternoon, minimizing your down time. That was the plan. I'm sure whatever you do to it, it will be a huge improvment.
Ed
Rob, I agree with Ed. Drive it and put together a new motor. Right now California Imports is having a smoking deal on Weber carbs. I just bought a pair of IDF 44s for $685.95 Canadian (which includes cleaners, manifolds, velocity stacks and hex bar linkage). Also, check out the deals at Air Cooled Net. By putting it together over time you can build what you want.
Ron
Ed and Ron:

That was the long term plan, but I was just curious as to what could be done cheaply for the short term. Ed, I guess I did not realize it was a single port engine.

I probably will just drive it this summer, and then decide what to do over the winter. It's the 'winter' syndrome - while waiting to get the car safety checked and licensed (which will take a week or so and some windshield wipers), and not being able to drive it, I start to look at the car in the garage, and wonder what if...

Thanks, guys.
Robert,

Most of us; "Enjoy Just Driving" the Car and additional power or handling makes it bettter.

Save your money; learn about your car and the power your engine offfers and stay within its "Power Band".

Once you are further along and decide to increase the "Power and inprove the Handling"; you can invest into a larger Displacement engine and "Disc Brakes, Exhaust Systej, Ignition, Oil System, Charging System, Wheels/Tires, Sway Bars, Modified Transaxel and Stireo - last", "The Engine Sound it the Best Sound of All"

Have fun and enjoy!

Good Luck,

Jack Blake
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.