Skip to main content

Classified postings do not allow for discussion (replies are not allowed).  Direct message the member if you would like to discuss the item.
The Classified section is open to any individual (non-commercial firms) posting of items for sale. Members posting commercial advertisements must be enrolled in a Supporting Merchant program. 
Postings without relevant details (PRICE, location, condition, etc.) will be deleted.

Hi - First post. Thanks for allowing me to participate in the discussion and tap into what looks like a wealth of information.

Been in the market for an weekend cruiser for some time now. Have primarily focused on the Karmann Ghia. Replica Spyders and Speedsters recently came to my attention. My knowledge is growing but limited. I've located a car that interests me. Hoping to get some input.

Is anyone familiar with this car? Is it a Vintage? Any feedback on Park Place Ltd? Any thoughts on what something like this should sell for?

Thanks in advance.

Ron

http://www.parkplaceltd.com/us...plica/995/1102980811

Last edited by Ron P
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Finally, an Intermecchanica owner has defined an "entry level" Speedster and it's appears that Vintage Speedster owners are all driving "entry level" cars.

Reminds me of the nose in the air comments that some Porsche 911 owners made about Porsche 914 cars.

A Vintage Speedster is a less expensive Speedster than some of the others, but there are far less expensive Speedsters that could be classified by the term "entry level" if someone REALLY needs to use that term.

A Vintage Speedster is not an "entry level" car and the vast majority of Vintage Speedster owners have just as big a smile on their faces as any other Speedster owner.

Your question could have just as easily been answered like this, without the "entry level" comment. 

"This would be a decent car if the pictures are any indication. $26K for a used Vintage with 6k mi. and not a ton of options is about where the market is right now." 

To answer your question, yes the Parkplace Speedster is a nice looking Vintage Speedster. @Ron P

Last edited by Troy Sloan
Troy Sloan posted:

Finally, an Intermecchanica owner has defined an "entry level" Speedster and it's appears that Vintage Speedster owners are all driving "entry level" cars.

Reminds me of the nose in the air comments that some Porsche 911 owners made about Porsche 914 cars.

A Vintage Speedster is a less expensive Speedster than some of the others, but there are far less expensive Speedsters that could be classified by the term "entry level" if someone REALLY needs to use that term.

A Vintage Speedster is not an "entry level" car and the vast majority of Vintage Speedster owners have just as big a smile on their faces as any other Speedster owner.

Your question could have just as easily been answered like this, without the "entry level" comment. 

"This would be a decent car if the pictures are any indication. $26K for a used Vintage with 6k mi. and not a ton of options is about where the market is right now." 

To answer your question, yes the Parkplace Speedster is a nice looking Vintage Speedster. @Ron P

Here's a nice example of an entry level Intermeccanica. Older model, 8,200 miles fairly reliable, sold for $6,500 in 2010. Boise, Idaho.    :-)

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Boise, Idaho Sept. 2010
  • Boise 2010
Last edited by David Stroud IM Roadster D
David Stroud posted:
Troy Sloan posted:

Here's a nice example of an entry level Intermeccanica. Older model, fairly reliable, sold for $6,500 in 2010. Boise, Idaho.    :-)

Wow. I haven't seen anything near that price.

Jethro posted:

Troy, I think what Stan meant was that mid $20,000's is a good entry level price, especially if that car is as nice as it looks.   Not that all Vintage cars are "entry level." 

Yep

... but yeah, my nose is pretty stuck up in the air, as is plainly evident. Busted.

Troy,

I’m not sure where all this is coming from, but unless I’m mistaken, it was you who pointed out that with the recent realignment with builders, the market has taken a hard turn upward. The mid-20s seems to be the new “entry level” for any car not needing significant work since the first of the year. Maybe you are seeing nice cars for less, but I’m not.

David,

I will always marvel at what you are able to do and find for pennies on the dollar.

Last edited by Stan Galat

Troy:

Thank you for the education on how someone should express their opinion on the forum. I will take that under advisement.

I happen to have a 2002 Vintage Speedster.

In my opinion, like it or not, it is an entry level car in comparison to those coming off the line at Special Edition or Intermeccanica with tubular chassis', Porsche or Subaru  drive trains, roll up windows, and various other features. That is reflected in the price differential between those and some other brands and Vintage.

I define entry level, again ,like it or not, as a pan based, no frills, reasonably reliable, Type 1 drivetrain Speedster. That could also define a CMC as well.

Far from being ashamed of my car, I rather like it. I too get a great deal of pleasure from it. I don't care how others characterize it, or what it is compared to or where it falls in the "hierarchy". But it isn't an Intermeccanica or Special Edition car. If I wanted one, I would go buy one. 

I am pretty secure in most of my decisions, and I think I've removed most of the chips from my shoulders. 

You certainly have the right to have, and express your opinion, and so does everybody else.

If you are saying that "entry level," as you said in your original post "not a ton of options," is referring to the number of options a car has, it still doesn't apply to this car.  This car has a 1915cc motor rather than a 1600 or a 1776, Freeway Flyer trans, bumper guards, stone guards, Cocomats, Nardi wheel, full tonneau, bucket seats, stereo.  There aren't too many upgrades it doesn't have.

I apologize if you really were just referring to the price, but we had this same discussion several years ago and you were definitely referring to manufacturers at that time, so I'm sorry for assuming you were doing the same thing this time, but I still perceive it as a left handed compliment. 

Regardless, this car is a steal for $26,000 and Ron should jump on it. 

I’m a simplistic dude, and I value everyone on the SOC site’s opinion, expertise, experience, and gracious willingness to share all of that with new guys like myself. I take everyone’s input and opinion and technique with a blunt, matter-of-fact, grain-of-salt perspective.

Having said that, for me owning and driving a Speedster is simply an emotional endeavor. I don’t own my car for any other reason than it puts a huge S-E-G on my face! No rational or intelligent reason, and I don’t pretend there is.

At the end of the day, I understand how our collective ‘passion’ and opinions can get a little sideways at times, but really, it’s the diversity of opinion and perspective and discussion that - in my humble opinion - make this site great!

David got a great deal - but that was 8 years ago - and seems even then the low was more like $12-14k.  If you are motivated, handy with tools, have the time and willingness to learn and get greasy with the Speedster hobby then there are cars out there for 1/2 that VS price.  David was brave and jumped in and drove his all over the country (think with his wife at his side - brave man indeed).  I would not think that is feasible for a $12k car today.  I'd have a tow bar and credit card for sure. 

Here's a $15k one but clear in FL and a FF/CMC -

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/cl...etail.php?id=2192242

If you aren't willing to get greasy and just willing to sort out a low mileage but still 7-year-old car this is probably one for you.  With near 8 years and not driven much - I'd want to replace rubber lines for brakes and fuel.  I'd also look at tires for cracks and dry rot. We all cringe at the 50 cent plastic fuel filter in the engine bay - as it is a fire hazard.  I'm sure side skirts are actually side curtains (i.e. side windows).

Here's a nice looking VS probably of same year in CA for $23.5k

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/cl...etail.php?id=2133730

WOLFGANG posted:

David got a great deal - but that was 8 years ago - and seems even then the low was more like $12-14k.  If you are motivated, handy with tools, have the time and willingness to learn and get greasy with the Speedster hobby then there are cars out there for 1/2 that VS price.  David was brave and jumped in and drove his all over the country (think with his wife at his side - brave man indeed).  I would not think that is feasible for a $12k car today.  I'd have a tow bar and credit card for sure. 

Here's a $15k one but clear in FL and a FF/CMC -

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/cl...etail.php?id=2192242

If you aren't willing to get greasy and just willing to sort out a low mileage but still 7-year-old car this is probably one for you.  With near 8 years and not driven much - I'd want to replace rubber lines for brakes and fuel.  I'd also look at tires for cracks and dry rot. We all cringe at the 50 cent plastic fuel filter in the engine bay - as it is a fire hazard.  I'm sure side skirts are actually side curtains (i.e. side windows).

Here's a nice looking VS probably of same year in CA for $23.5k

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/cl...etail.php?id=2133730

I've spoken with the owner of this car and based on that conversation, the color combination (my own issue) the fact that it has been for sale at that same price for more than a year I have not looked at it.  You never know, it could be a diamond in the rough, but I certainly would not recommend buying it sight unseen.

RonPr posted:

Thank you for your input. Your time is appreciated.

That deal out in Washington sounds like a good one. I wonder if we have any friends on the list that may be in that area or close enough and could take a look and provide Ron with a PRIVATE opinion. That's how I bought my IM in Boise....had a local buddy look at it for me. I knew a local prof at Boise State from my airplane contacts and he happened to be a Bug enthusiast too. 

Now having said that Ron, if you do buy something far away then please be aware of the ins and outs of shipping a car across the country. Could be risky at the best of times and if you don't have the time to go out and get it yourself, you should consider providing an experienced Speedster driver a one way flight and a small per diem plus fuel cost to get the car safely to your hometown. Good luck with the search. 

David Stroud posted:
RonPr posted:

Thank you for your input. Your time is appreciated.

That deal out in Washington sounds like a good one. I wonder if we have any friends on the list that may be in that area or close enough and could take a look and provide Ron with a PRIVATE opinion. That's how I bought my IM in Boise....had a local buddy look at it for me. I knew a local prof at Boise State from my airplane contacts and he happened to be a Bug enthusiast too. 

Now having said that Ron, if you do buy something far away then please be aware of the ins and outs of shipping a car across the country. Could be risky at the best of times and if you don't have the time to go out and get it yourself, you should consider providing an experienced Speedster driver a one way flight and a small per diem plus fuel cost to get the car safely to your hometown. Good luck with the search. 

David - thanks for input and good ideas. I'm trying to arrange an inspection with a local, independent inspector. The guy I found isn't available until next Thursday, however, and the dealer thinks the car will not be around that long (what else would anyone expect him to say?!) Working on several options some of which are close enough to drive home.

Joe Fortino posted:

@Ron P I live in the (far) west suburbs (Batavia) and have a 2016 Beck. I am around Friday if you want to make a trip out to take a test drive. I will say the research is 1/2 the fun right up to the point you put your right foot down.  

Ha. Thanks for the laugh and the incredibly generous offer. Would take you up on it if I could get out of work. Saw pics of your Beck. WOW! That is one nice ride.

And if you are taking Thursday, why would you want to go back to work on Friday?Nobody goes back to work on Friday ... Seriously, when I worked all day and then drove all night to have a look at the JPS Coupe that I now own, well, that is one of the best memories I could have in this hobby (Outside of cruising in it).

Brian

"there aren't too many options it doesn't have"  for a VS I think is what your meaning. 

I liked that comments.

There is a wide range of offerings out there. 

I live in the north and I need/want heated seats, and for the 100 degree weather I like AC, roll up windows, weatherproof/rain proof roof.  

Now those options are available only from other vendors I think... If you were to compare to other vendors.  Would that not make this car an entry level car?

just saying.  

@Ron P  - I live in Seattle and would be happy to stop by ParkPlace ( know the dealership and owners well) if you want pictures, and a personal opinion from a total stranger.  (I'm just a hobbyist, not a mechanic or auto industry professional).  Unfortunately I'm in Frankfurt on business travel through next Wed, so I would not be able to take a look at it till after Aug 29th.

i have owned several VS,  still own one today.  Love it, basic, reliable, miles of fun, fits my needs!

do you feel comfortable sharing who will be inspecting the car?   There are a couple reputable guys around town that both own replicas ( VS and IMs) and  their own VW speed/service shops that may also be interested in doing a PPI.

the car is a relatively new listing at ParkPlace, though it has been for sale for about a year ( as someone else mentioned in this thread).  ParkPlace services many of the cars they had built at VS, and resold under their "brand", until The big P served them with a letter threatening their ability to service sell original P cars.  They had 6-10 cars built by VS per year until 2016. They would sort the car, put 300-500 miles on the car, make them as reliable as possible,  clean up the paint, and resell.   They can arrange shipping and help facilitate registration.  They are very experienced with these type of cars.

IMhO,  test driving any car you are considering buying is a must.  Specially one of these special cars... they are like nothing else out there.  Nothing beats first hand experience... and a weekend getaway with a loved one  in Seattle in the summer/fall is not exactly money wasted ;-)

Feel free to send me a private Message if you rather chat off line.

happy shopping. 

luis

Last edited by Lfepardo

My .02....Park Place (right across the Lake from me) gets absolutely, positively, fer shure top dollar for their stuff. Prices here in the NW seem inflated, even though we can really only drive these 5-6 mos out of the year (particularly w/ pan based cars, some of which are notorious for filling up with water from the bottom up.) In private hands, this is about an $18k car in this area. I just scored a beautiful 2005 Beck in June, right in your hood for $23k.....This season's almost over. Hold on to your cash and cruise Craigslist diligently and you will score a deal. Try to park your butt in one to try it on....The first thing you'll note about a pan based car is that, there's nowhere for your left leg (or passenger right leg to go)....A tube frame (Beck or Intermeccanica) car can be had  for a good price. Your patience will be rewarded.

I have tried to buy cars at Park Place for more than 10 years with no luck.  They always ask a full price and will not budge (much).   I suspect it is because that area has thousands of very wealthy young men who can simply buy whatever they want for the asking price.  

I did get some measure of " satisfaction " when I was able to sell one of the family/owners a Boston Whaler jet boat for a few thousand more than appraised value.

I do not know, but I suspect that their cars and service are expensive  but first class.

Last edited by bart

In addition to the Park Place car, these two have been listed for sale in SEA.  I have not seen either in the flesh.  

The 1st for 25k- probably negotiable as the add whent up at the same time as the PP one ( which is also listed on Craigslist) ,

..and the 2nd is 34k- car has been for sale for +1yr.

https://seattle.craigslist.org...ster/6680102670.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org...ster/6676036962.html

A white one sold at an auction in Arlington 6 weeks ago for $16k....a dealer in Auburn marked it up to $28k... A couple sold recently near Olympia for $24 and $18.....They pop up all the time on CL....gotta be diligent.....I continue to chuckle at the one in Everett for $34k....approaching 2 years on CL.  To really have some choices, expand your search....A lot of these owners are very honest and meticulous. Select one, fly there on SW Airlines for a couple hundred, drive it home or ship it. I shipped mine for only $1200, from Philadelphia.

Troy Sloan posted:

@skippythedog

You would be doing all SOC members a big favor by posting here when you see deals like that. 

Especially Troy Sloan............who buys Speedsters....

Really Troy, do you post purchase opportunities on this list before you snatch them up for embellishment and resale ?  I don't remember you doing so. 

I've scheduled for Monday a PPI with the Vintage at Park Place. If all goes well there is a chance I'll start negotiating a deal having not driven the car...never even driven a Speedster. I figure if it doesn't agree with me I can sell it and not lose my shirt. There seems to be quick turnover with a good chunk of these cars. When people sell are they breaking even, losing a little, or losing a lot? Thanks.

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.