Skip to main content

Classified postings do not allow for discussion (replies are not allowed).  Direct message the member if you would like to discuss the item.
The Classified section is open to any individual (non-commercial firms) posting of items for sale. Members posting commercial advertisements must be enrolled in a Supporting Merchant program. 
Postings without relevant details (PRICE, location, condition, etc.) will be deleted.

1956 FiberFab (CMC) Speedster Replica For Sale9E9DDC00-C52E-446D-B422-B061B01336D3122C1E04-1757-4B4C-B671-237F99EBCB411CFA6894-1D26-4287-910F-3B0303BCB7A7     

This week a neighbor asked me if it was for sale and I gave him a ridiculously high price of $40,000, and after he looked it all over, he offered me $30,000 for it on the spot! However, I told him my wife and I are taking it to Monterey Car Week for our 49th anniversary which has been planned for a year and including Hotel reservations and so we’re going to see what happens down there when I put a for sale sign on it. I’m taking the pink slip with me.  I have blurred out all badges & references to that manufacture of fine German automobiles whose name starts with a “P” so that I don’t get a letter from a lawyer! (I’m confused as to whether not I’m allowed to say my engine is an actual Porsche engine?) I’ve only added thumbnails of pictures I have because it takes too long to put them all in but I can send them to you if you want to see them larger.

Anyway, there are a lot of features that make this Speedster Replica fun to drive and it has countless upgrades for improved comfort, handing, and rigidity. This beautiful recreation has comfortable seats from a Triumph Spitfire and they have springs! This makes a huge difference in comfort. Another major upgrade is that this Speedster is powered by an actual rebuilt 1966 Porsche 912 1600ci engine. A Porsche pressure plate and clutch match the 1971 IRS transmission with spent exhaust exits through a modified Porsche 912 muffler so this recreation looks and sounds like an actual early Speedster.

A beautiful folding black canvas convertible top comes with the car, as does a unique and classic canvas tonneau cover. The triple black color combination on this classic Speedster is both striking and classic. The paint is the original 1987.

There are many Speedster items on this car to help this replica look like an original Speedster. The front turn signals double as running lights, and they are the classic amber style beehive Speedster indicators, which are authentic OEM parts. The rear brake lights / turn signals are actual OEM lenses. The headlights are standard sealed beam. The rear deck lid features an original Speedster 356 grill, a modified-to-fit luggage rack from Vintage Speedster in LA, and a license plate light that turns on when the car is in reverse. 

There have been several hidden modifications to the body to help with safety, handling and rigidity. Steel reinforcement has been fitted to both the front lower lip and to the tail of this Speedster. On some fiberglass speedsters the front and rear of the car can flex if pressure is applied to the area. This car has been treated with specially fitted steel that strengthens the nose and the tail. The bumpers have been tied to this reinforcement and the bumpers are connected to the frame. The bumpers are extremely firm and sturdy. Additionally the areas behind the doors on both sides have been reinforced with steel to help in the unlikely event of a side impact. These improvements also help firm up the car to reduce the risk of cracking or spider-webbing. 

The reinforced black body sits on a shortened 1971 Volkswagen chassis with an independent rear suspension (IRS) transmission, this style transmission in this car is more superior than a "swing axle" rear suspension. Earlier swing axle transmissions (used through 1968) had the risk of the rear wheels tucking under the car during tight cornering. In addition to the improved stability with this type of rear suspension, the addition of thick anti-sway bars both front and rear really help this Speedster corner well. To maintain the look of the original 1956 Speedster, the brake drums were changed to the 5 bolt pattern correct for an original 1956 Speedster, and CB Performance disk brakes were recently installed on the front by Anthony’s Classic Car Works of Auburn, CA. The car uses standard brake lines, and all the parts you see are still readily available.

There is a Pioneer X6800BT CD Radio in the car, and speakers are conveniently and tastefully located behind the door panels. The gauges are VDO and include fuel, oil temperature, head temperature, volt meter, tachometer and speedometer. The odometer quit working at 11,151 miles and I estimate now that I’ve driven about 1000 miles since then, however the speedometer still works. The dash pad is as new and the entire interior is in great condition, and has extra black front carpet mats with white embroidered Speedster logos. The front seat belts are classic Corvette with Speedster badges and they retract when not in use. The wood trimmed Moto Lita style would steering wheel also has a Speedster badge on the horn button. Additionally there are amber fog lights and headlight rock guards installed on the front.

The underside of this Replica is as nice as the top. The tube frame of the body has been tied into the chassis, and everything is clean and detailed in black. This is a beautiful Speedster Replica inside and out, top and bottom.

The “P” 912 1600ci engine has an electronic 7,000 RPM DUI Delco-Remy distributor with built in coil, so there is no need to worry about maintaining or adjusting points. Webber IDF 40 carburetors were modified to fit on the stock intake manifolds. Like many classic cars, the engine does drip a bit of oil but the engine has been upgraded with new valve guides, teflon valve seals, Moly type chromium rings, and other improvements to help it run reliably. (I have recent leak down  and compression test results if wanted).

The original stock bypass filter has been replaced with an external oil cooler and spin on bypass filter which helps keep the oil temperature under 190 even on 100°F Northern California summers. I will also throw in the original stock bypass oil filter canister, new filter, and braded oil lines. The engine compartment also has a BlazeCut Automatic Fire Suppression System installed that will immediately put out an engine fire in that unlikely event. (Better safe than sorry!)

Besides the drop-in door windows for use when the top is up, there’s also included a set of shorter custom Cruz’n windows for freeway driving when the top is down, which cost over $300 a pair.

The 30+ year old paint is very nice and it shows in the photos. There are a few small imperfections (small stone chips) And some light scratches from our stupid cat but you have to get up very close to the car to see them. This Speedster not a show car, it’s a driver, & the car looks great from even just 3 feet away. There’s also a small chip on the edge of the driver’s door,  however, the paint looks excellent. As it is now, it shines even in very low light. With the running lights on this is one of the nicest silhouettes in all of automobile history. 

This is a car you can jump in and drive exactly as is. This would make a great gift or a spectacular addition to any collection whatever the reason. Please take a moment to view the thumbnail photos & I can email you any of them that you want to look at bigger. Thank you for looking at our 1956 Speedster Replica!

JW.org

Attachments

Images (3)
  • 9E9DDC00-C52E-446D-B422-B061B01336D3
  • 122C1E04-1757-4B4C-B671-237F99EBCB41
  • 1CFA6894-1D26-4287-910F-3B0303BCB7A7
Last edited by IndianBob
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.