Hello Folks, This is my first posting. I have lovingly upgraded this Speedster and just posted it on my local Craigslist. This forum has been beyond helpful in my experience and I thank all of you who have kindly taken the time to impart your wisdom, knowledge and experience. It has been invaluable!
It is downright crazy how the JPS, Vintage and IM's are moving these days on sites like Bring-a-Trailer. BaT did accept mine BUT wanted a no reserve sale... I am not into playing games so I have listed mine at a reasonable, if not a STEAL of a price for a quick sale. Terry's "Penny" has been quite the inspiration and my hope is that our car will go to an enthusiast that supports this forum.
Here is the Ad copy ad CL link in Sacramento;
Classic Motor Carriage / CMC Speedster
Sorted and ready to DRIVE!
- New 1641cc Chico Performance Racing Engine / Built and installed in March 2020 (see specs below)
- Dual Solex 1bb Carburetors (Brazil)
- Compu-Fire Electronic Ignition
- New Clutch / Dankin Racing Disk / Sachs Pressure Plate
- Front Disc Brakes
- New rear drum brakes, complete brake system service with brake fluid flush and emergency brake adjustment
- Independent Rear Suspension
- New proper ethanol safe fuel line and new fuel filter
- Freeway Flyer 4 Speed / 3.88
- New Vintage Speed short shifter
- Fuchs 914 Custom Polished Wheels
- New tires (Installed March 2020, Date coded 2019)
- 1 3/8” Dual Custom Performance Exhaust with stainless tips
- New Optima Battery
- Custom large Derale oil cooler with fan and added full size, spin-on oil filter.
- Auxiliary engine cooling system that forces a cool ambient/positive air charge into the engine bay. Aids in fresh combustion air for the carburetors, expelling hot air downward and out of the engine bay for improved engine cooling (addresses rarely mentioned/discussed airflow design limitations on the original 356 and replica Speedster’s). See pictures for details.
- Recently service by a reputable German-only shop (oil change, valve adjustment and carburetor adjustments)
- A multitude of spares, Speedster/VW/Porsche specific parts and tools. Bring a truck or SUV when picking up your spares.
- Current California registration and title. Registration is good till March 2021
- All receipts from our period of ownership. Totaling over $11000 since August 2019
- Engine swap and most servicing completed by a German-only (Mostly Porsche) specialty shop with experience working on JPS & CMC Speedsters. Much thought, experience and engineering know-how expended on repairs, upgrades and servicing.
- Documentation also includes an initial oil analysis report completed by Blackstone Labs on the new engine’s first oil change.
- Multiple Tonneau’s, Convertible Top and Side Curtains (only used one of the Tonneau’s infrequently, vinyl convertible top appears to be complete and in new condition, buyer to utilize/install/test-out as he/she wishes)
- CMC build manual (paper copy).
- Vintage VDO Gauges via a 914, all working
- Hella Dual Note Air Horns / 120db
- Vintage Alpine Stereo CD with Pioneer door speakers
- VW Heater headers and passenger compartment heater
- Cocomats, custom-made, of course…
- Extra keys, 2 cut, 2 uncut. Various “far too expensive” marque-specific key chains.
- This reinforced (internal tube steel) CMC fiberglass body is on an 11” shortened 1973 VW Super Beetle pan/chassis, no rust anywhere.
- Great straight body in beautiful Guards Red
- Palomino interior, custom matching sport seats with red piping, german-style proper square-weave carpet
- 11500 miles on chassis, engine has around 500 miles since installation
This CMC Speedster was originally built in 2004. It is State of California titled as a “1957 SPCNS SPEEDSTER”. The only emission requirements are a functioning PCV system. The PCV system is intact and operational. An emissions certification will be provided to the new owner should they reside in California.
Engine Specifications from Chico Performance Racing/CPR (CPR was personally referred as an engine builder by VW air cooled performance engine builder Pat Downs of CB Performance):
1641cc TM-10 Turnkey Package
- C.W Crankshaft Forged Chromoly 1 piece
- NEW Case AS41 taped for full flow
- Stock OEM VW Connecting Rods / Heavy Duty Bolts
- TM10 Chico Custom Grind Scat Racing Lifters
- Aluminum stock cam gears
- New stock flywheel 8 dowel
- Gene Berg Chromoly Racing Gland Nut (torqued to 550lbs)
- 8mm Chromoly Head Studs (Made for Chico Performance ONLY)
- 87mm AA pistons/cylinders with Grant rings
- NEW 043 Heads with 35.5 x 32 stainless steel valves steel push rods hemi cut chambers
- VW Rocker shaft with VW 1.1to1 Rocker arms 9mm adjusters with solid rocker shafts
- Stainless steel windage push rod tubes
- German powder coated valve covers with HD bails
- Perfect fit sheet metal / Satin Black
- 26mm HD oil pump modified for full flow with oil filter base and oil filter
- New Alternator
- New Fuel Pump
- New 009 Distributor with Compu-Fire ignition
- Sachs Pressure Plate with Dankin Racing Disk
- Dynamically Balancing Crank,Rods,Pistons,Flywheel,Pressure Plate,Front pulley
- Doghouse shroud
- 7.5 to 1 compression
- Shipping to your German specialty shop for professional installation
- One year / unlimited mileage warranty
This Speedster has been lovingly built, upgraded and maintained by enthusiasts that have owned Porsches, Classic & Performance VWs and many other makes and models of enthusiast automobiles. There are many tasteful performance and functional upgrades that have been done. We are sure some have not been noted in this description. Take a look for yourself and be impressed in person…listen to the engine sing…then drive it, you’ll buy it! OR, just buy it now & enjoy driving a sorted Porvolksche Speedsterwagen.
No matter what you do, make sure you buy the right Speedster for YOU…Life is short, none of us have as much time or ability as we think.
As far as work to do; The stainless trim was removed on one side to test out an outlaw Speedster look and the holes were filled and painted to match. We have the perfect trim with clips and suggest that an experienced bodyperson reinstall it. We prefer the classic look of the trim installed. The center caps on the rear Fuchs wheels were originally adhered with an adhesive and are not on the car. We have both center caps. We would rather these caps be fastened properly or some other type of proper center cap be utilized on all four wheels. The emergency brake boot needs to be either reinstalled or replaced with a matching vinyl or leather boot. The emergency brake is functional. The rest is up to your personal taste; the car is completely functional and ready to be driven.
We are motivated to sell this fine machine to another enthusiast who is ready to enjoy it as intended. Any questions, feel free to ask.