Skip to main content

Classified postings do not allow for discussion (replies are not allowed).  Direct message the member if you would like to discuss the item.
The Classified section is open to any individual (non-commercial firms) posting of items for sale. Members posting commercial advertisements must be enrolled in a Supporting Merchant program. 
Postings without relevant details (PRICE, location, condition, etc.) will be deleted.

SOLD SOLD SOLD Feb 28 2021

Let the shock sink in to those who never thought this post would come...

My Fellow Madness Friends,

The time has come for me to pass the torch to a fellow mad man (or woman) member or someone who is looking to join the fun. Don't be mistaken, I still have my Coupe to finish and will still be joining the SLO Cruise every year :-)

You can go to this link to see (Just Saying Hi...) and read about every little thing you can imagine about this absolutely "one of a kind" Speedster (I can show you all the cuts and scares on my hands from the joy of putting my Eleanor together).

Main highlights:

- 1957 Speedster 356A tribute build (I tried to match an original as best as possible) (titled in CA as a 69 VW I believe - need to look)

- 2110cc (low mileage) dual carb engine (built by the late Rolland - I still miss catching him and chatting with him at Greg's shop ) - engine has <5000 miles on it, full flowed, external oil color, vintage speed carb intakes, fan shroud painted to original grey, etc... etc... (ALB if you want engine details, read the thread link above ), I have driven this Speedster home from SLO in the heat of downtown LA stop and go traffic  and it has NEVER overheated, exhaust is custom made by Greg and is one-of-a-kind, no heater boxes, and I have NEVER had a drop of oil hit my garage floor (happy to take a picture of the engine underside if needed)

- Transmission: Free-way flyer (not 100% sure on gearing ratios, I'd have to ask Greg). When I cruise at 75 mph on the freeway, the rpm's sit around 3400

- Vintage Motorcars (silver) 190 rims, tires have <5000 miles, 4 wheel disc brakes, SS brake lines, HAND MADE 1/4" copper/nickel brake lines I hand flared myself, baby moons, body is from Vintage Motorcars, the spare tire is a Vintage Motorcar 190 rim (small version used on the 550 Spyder) and it works! Just ask a fellow SLO Cruise member that I helped when he got a flat a few years ago... he also gave me a nice bottle of wine as a thank you (super nice guy!!!)

- ODO: <5000 miles

- Exterior Color: Aquamarine Blue (Paint Code: 5707) (don't ask me if it's metallic or not... you all should know what paint code 5707 looks like compared to the 56 version) paint by Greg at VM, body was mounted by Greg's Team too, the top is tan and works perfectly, side curtains are tan as well

- Interior Color: Tan German Square Weave, tan vinyl (yes, I HAND picked this interior color to match the original - it is not a standard color offer by any builder), frunk has truck bed liner painted on, gas tank is paint MATCHED to exterior color, gas cap is painted gloss black, the wiring harness is from Greg, but I HAND wrapped it in German auto cloth tape, dual USB port added too, door sills have the period correct trim that I riveted in, original VIN and PAINT CODE plates from Sierra Madre are rivtted in and I HAND stamped the color code and VIN numbers

- Cosmetic Stuff: Original Twin Grill Reutter Luggage Rack, ALL emblems are from Sierra Madre (the expensive ones), Leather luggage straps in tan, spare tire leather strap in tan, Banjo Steering Wheel, Sun/Moon Horn Button, Interior was hand painted (yes it took me forever) in "almond" to match the off-white color (steering column, shifter, under dash support beam), DUAL horns with period correct Bosch emblems and placed properly behind the horn grill, ENTIRE interior has sound deadening material under the carpet, wipers are original Speedster wipers (they work),

I am missing a TON of stuff, but you all can go through my build thread and look at all the details. The Speedster has NEVER seen rain or water. There are a couple of tiny rock chips up front... guess what... I drive the car so it will happen

Feel free to ask me anything. Everyone on this site knows I'm an open book.

Now for the price. After seeing that silver 30,000+ mile Speedster go for over $50K, it got me thinking. I could probably go the BaT route and maybe command a pretty penny... but you never know... Then I started thinking... I want Eleanor to go to someone that will care and enjoy it as much as I have... so I am going to start here first, be very picky, and see where it goes. Do I "need" to sell it - nope. So let's see what happens :-)

Is there wiggle room on that price, yes, but let's be honest with each other and not waste time. You could take my build and add all the little items and end up paying a LOT more for a turn key (and wait several months for it too). I could also spend the time to do all the photos and videos, post it on BaT or some other auction site and likely clear the $50K mark (I would be shocked if it didn't). I'm not going to sell it to someone who will then turn around and sell it on BaT to make money - I get to be picky with this sale since I'm not in a rush nor need the money.

Like a said... I'm an open book ;-)

Ok... now lets have all the crazy SOC, sometimes if not all the time off topic, discussion! GO!

8CE0C740-221D-45BC-AE0E-5C7C5F1E5D5D6ACD8264-EE8F-464B-8B6A-9AC82D11E437_1_201_aAF1E475F-669D-4704-A5B9-0BB79E73E91D2123DF55-AE10-44B1-A524-912AD7EC3221AF9A97CE-E9CC-4F10-A220-4FFA46941E7B4726F78D-A3CE-4C0C-8EEF-94BF96126F1F

Attachments

Images (6)
  • 8CE0C740-221D-45BC-AE0E-5C7C5F1E5D5D
  • 6ACD8264-EE8F-464B-8B6A-9AC82D11E437_1_201_a
  • AF1E475F-669D-4704-A5B9-0BB79E73E91D
  • 2123DF55-AE10-44B1-A524-912AD7EC3221
  • AF9A97CE-E9CC-4F10-A220-4FFA46941E7B
  • 4726F78D-A3CE-4C0C-8EEF-94BF96126F1F
Last edited by Theron
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@*LongFella posted:

Usually in June? Might be changing because of the zombie apocalypse...

AS of now, the West Coast Cruise in SLO is scheduled for the first weekend in June   (4th, 5th, and 6th).  Stay tuned, of course, because "do-do" happens and things change! You might reserve a room at the Quality Suites Downtown SLO with no $$ upfront, and if those zombies do rise up, you can always cancel and, hopefully, reschedule for when they've been controlled.

@Napa Paul posted:

AS of now, the West Coast Cruise in SLO is scheduled for the first weekend in June   (4th, 5th, and 6th).  Stay tuned, of course, because "do-do" happens and things change! You might reserve a room at the Quality Suites Downtown SLO with no $$ upfront, and if those zombies do rise up, you can always cancel and, hopefully, reschedule for when they've been controlled.

Second weekend of June. I asked for the first weekend but there's a wedding party that weekend so we were relegated to the second weekend.

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.