Skip to main content

Classified postings do not allow for discussion (replies are not allowed).  Direct message the member if you would like to discuss the item.
The Classified section is open to any individual (non-commercial firms) posting of items for sale. Members posting commercial advertisements must be enrolled in a Supporting Merchant program. 
Postings without relevant details (PRICE, location, condition, etc.) will be deleted.

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hello all,

We built this car last year , this car has more then just "The Engine" to build this car again today you would be in the mid $60k + . 

Engine $15k

Gearbox $5k

wheels $5k 

so we are $25k in the engine trans and wheels alone...things start to add up when you do the build correct with quality parts, you cant compare this car to a normal Vintage Speedster built with 4 lug wheels and a 1600cc engine... just saying. 

Greg

www.vintagemotorcarsinc.com 

Jim Kelly posted:

Regarding the wrong tail lights: This replica is listed as a 1957.  Porsche changed from bee hives to teardrops in mid-year 57, so both types are correct.  

I was under the impression that the change from beehives to teardrops was mid '56?

@VSpyder wrote-"things start to add up when you do the build correct with quality parts, you cant compare this car to a normal Vintage Speedster built with 4 lug wheels and a 1600cc engine..."

Yeah, you start customizing things and it adds up really quickly. That is a very nice car you've built, Greg!

And I agree with what Lane said below- sales like this never hurt resale values!

Last edited by ALB

Mid-March 1957 for tail light changeovers, per my Porsche restoration book by Dr. Alan Johnson IIRC.  I even had the chassis numbers for last bee hive vs. first teardrops.  This seems to be a date that generates lots of discussion, so there may be sources that disagree.  I'll try to dig out my source book.

ALB posted:
Jim Kelly posted:

Regarding the wrong tail lights: This replica is listed as a 1957.  Porsche changed from bee hives to teardrops in mid-year 57, so both types are correct.  

I was under the impression that the change from beehives to teardrops was mid '56?

They also changed from shine up to shine down plate/reverse lights somewhere mid-1957. Not sure if it's possible to have an OG Speedster with beehives and a shine down, or teardrops and a shine up, but I'd guess the answer is probably.

Last edited by Stan Galat

Dr. B. Johnson, The 356 Porsche, A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity, Oct. 1997, p. 72:

"At coupe 100001, cabriolet 61701 and Speedster 83201 (March 1957), the teardrop unit appeared, combining tail light, turn signal and brake light.  This configuration continued throughout the remainder of the production.  The only variation was the difference in all red U.S., red-amber European and amber-red Italian lenses."

Johnson has a few other items of reference to those changes in his book, with corresponding dates, when the T 2 body changes came into existence in mid-year 1957, including lower positioned striker plates on the doors, modified rear cowling and front vent windows on the Cabs, along with chrome-plated tubular overrider bars on the bumpers (p. 4).

Last edited by Jim Kelly
VSpyder posted:

Hello all,

We built this car last year , this car has more then just "The Engine" to build this car again today you would be in the mid $60k + . 

Engine $15k

Gearbox $5k

wheels $5k 

so we are $25k in the engine trans and wheels alone...things start to add up when you do the build correct with quality parts, you cant compare this car to a normal Vintage Speedster built with 4 lug wheels and a 1600cc engine... just saying. 

Greg

Greg, the more I look at it, the more the price on this car is justified.  It's just beautiful.  All of the subtle things that set this car apart makes it a lust worthy object.  I showed my wife the pictures, and while she is usually not impressed with other cars (she only likes her CMC Widebody)  she told me that if we got another one, this would be it.  mmmm tempting.

BTW with 8 hours left one the clock $56,356!  worth every penny!

R3d

VSpyder posted:

Hello all,

Engine $15k

Gearbox $5k

wheels $5k 

Greg

Oh...forgot to ask- what would make the gearbox work $5k- all aftermarket gears?

DannyP posted:

Agreed Al. It's not a Berg5. I can't see the trans being more than $2500. But I could be wrong.

"I could do a Berg5 for that" was my first reaction too, Danny, but if you used a new hd case ($300?), aftermarket mainshaft ($1100+- it is type 4 powered, so a longer 1st would be nice), 3rd and 4th gears (no, the 'Sportsman' ratios won't work, so 800 instead of 600), either 3.88 or 3.44 r&p (350? 400?), super diff (250?) or Quaife (1200?), new syncros, bearings and misc. new parts (200-250), core charge (300? 400?) and shipping (300?) it adds up pretty fast. 

A far cry from a stock ($899) or Pro Street ($1195) build, but you know as well as I do- you get what you pay for.

Last edited by ALB

If you have Rancho start with a brand new gusseted Rhino case, add all Weddle gearing in non-stock ratios with the appropriate welding, hardened Weddle shift forks, heavy duty aluminum side covers, IRS 930 or Vanagon axle stubs, 3.88 R&P, and a Quaiffe or Peloquin Torsen differential you can get to $5,500 easy. It'll be bullet proof, too (that's the theory anyway...)

I got to see this car when I was at Vintage visiting Greg last spring.  The pictures don't do it justice.  It's a total kid-in-a-candy-shop build.

JMM (Michael) posted:

If you have Rancho start with a brand new gusseted Rhino case, add all Weddle gearing in non-stock ratios with the appropriate welding, hardened Weddle shift forks, heavy duty aluminum side covers, IRS 930 or Vanagon axle stubs, 3.88 R&P, and a Quaiffe or Peloquin Torsen differential you can get to $5,500 easy. It'll be bullet proof, too (that's the theory anyway...)

I got to see this car when I was at Vintage visiting Greg last spring.  The pictures don't do it justice.  It's a total kid-in-a-candy-shop build.

Yeah, that's about as bullet-proof as you can get, but a little overkill for a Speedster- the gussetted case isn't needed unless you're seriously drag racing and have the power AND suspension to pick the front wheels up off the ground. Type 1 axle stubs and cv's have gone 11's in street cars and survive, and there are trans builders who say that stock side covers (if in good shape) are all that are needed at our level as well.

$81,000 for that car- WOW! and it's a 4 speed...

DannyP posted:

I thought it was, or may have read that. Because 5th is outside of the main bearing in the gear carrier?

A lot (if not all) of oem 5 speeds are like that, Danny, including Porsche. It's not an issue. I don't think you'd want to hang 1st off of the shafts like that (with no support on the other side), but there aren't enough forces placed upon the 5th gears to be problematic.

A properly prepared Berg5 will be just as durable as a comparable type 1 4 speed. They have proven to hold up in numerous 12, 11, and even 10 second street cars as well as numerous drag race cars. There's a guy locally with a turboed oval window 'street' bug  (I really don't know how much he drives it on 'the street' these days, but it does have plates and all the equipment to make it street legal) equipped with a Berg5 and I believe he's run 9.80's in the quarter mile at the local track- and the trans shifts flawlessly (once they got the weight thing figured out).

Last edited by ALB
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.