Skip to main content

Classified postings do not allow for discussion (replies are not allowed).  Direct message the member if you would like to discuss the item.
The Classified section is open to any individual (non-commercial firms) posting of items for sale. Members posting commercial advertisements must be enrolled in a Supporting Merchant program. 
Postings without relevant details (PRICE, location, condition, etc.) will be deleted.

MotoCarlo posted:

On a tangent question, isn't 5th gear the same ratio as 4th on a 4 speed. So all that is gained by 5th is a faster transition.  ??

It can be. What a lot of people don't understand is that 4th gear in the type 1 transaxle is already an overdrive (.89). Because of the cooling limitations of  aircooled engines, using an even lower top gear in a 4 speed when not changing 3rd (for eg.- dropping 4th to a .82) will create a 3-5 mph 'zone' (2200-2400 rpm) where, if under full power going up a hill and the car is not actually accelerating, creates so much heat that the fan isn't turning fast enough to properly cool the engine. When I was much younger, old time VW owners and mechanics would always warn you about 'lugging the engine'.

When gearing a 5 speed, as long as you keep proper gear spacing you can lengthen 5th gear a little. With a bigger (over 2 liter) engine the only other limitation is how much you're willing to pay for speeding tickets...

PS- Almost forgot- to answer your 2nd question- if you've never driven a VW with close ratio 3rd and 4th gears you can't begin to appreciate what they do for the car. It's so much more than 'a faster transition'. Think of it as being of the magnitude of going to a bigger engine and adding 50 hp- it really changes the feel of the car that much. And you still have that top gear for highway cruising.

If you were to ask me what would do more- upgrading the displacement and horsepower a bunch or doing a 5 speed I'd say do the 5 speed first- it makes the car just that much more fun to drive. 

Yoda out- go brave the Costco lines I have to!

Last edited by ALB
DannyP posted:

Carlo, the 5 speed is about closer ratios rather than "faster transition". Keeping the engine firmly IN the torque band is the point, at whatever corner you're coming out of.

THAT'S what I was trying to say. It just makes the driving experience that much more fun. My oldest has a 2012 Honda Civic SI with a manual close ratio 6 speed- it is heaven on wheels!

Of course, he won't let me drive it any more because he's jealous of the things I can make it do...

ALB posted:
MotoCarlo posted:

On a tangent question, isn't 5th gear the same ratio as 4th on a 4 speed. So all that is gained by 5th is a faster transition.  ??

PS- Almost forgot- to answer your 2nd question- if you've never driven a VW with close ratio 3rd and 4th gears you can't begin to appreciate what they do for the car. It's so much more than 'a faster transition'. Think of it as being of the magnitude of going to a bigger engine and adding 50 hp- it really changes the feel of the car that much. And you still have that top gear for highway cruising.

True dat. The experience is spectacular. And if you have a nice exhaust the sound of those short throws beats the best stereo you can buy.

If you bought your car to drive, I mean more than a little 20 mile jaunt now and then, the best improvement you can make on your clown car is a 5-speed.

Proud Berg-5 owner for 44,000 miles.

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.