Skip to main content

Classified postings do not allow for discussion (replies are not allowed).  Direct message the member if you would like to discuss the item.
The Classified section is open to any individual (non-commercial firms) posting of items for sale. Members posting commercial advertisements must be enrolled in a Supporting Merchant program. 
Postings without relevant details (PRICE, location, condition, etc.) will be deleted.

Saw this posted 20 min ago https://orangecounty.craigslis...-356/7279294146.html, legit ad or scam?

I just have suspicion hackles raised whenever I see a deal too good to be true, especially if on Craigslist (actually I almost hope it's untrue if it means the story behind it is fake...).

Porsche 356 - $45,000 (Huntington Beach) - 1961 Porsche Cab
Wife's car and she passed away from Covid and I want the car gone. Car has set and only driven 3 or 4 times is the last 20 years. I have had the car for over 40 years so it has an old restoration and the motor is a 1962S. First $45,000. takes it, current lic. and Pink slip. 714-six two five-77two8

1961 1961

condition: good
cylinders: 4 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 1
paint color: blue
size: compact
title status: clean
transmission: manual
type: convertible

01212_8VO2vP88e2Az_0iC0cu_600x450

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Craigslist photo 01212_8VO2vP88e2Az_0iC0cu_600x450
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@Sean Seena posted:

Right, I was thinking about that, I'm sure it was mentioned as an explanation for the low price.  But for a scammer, it also creates a very awkward environment to start asking tough questions because you'd feel awful being a stickler if you felt the story was true.  I'm sure that's some known con man angle

It's right up there with, "Selling my late husband's jeep. He was in the military and killed during the (Insert whatever conflict suits you). I'm practically giving it away because it pains me to see it........blah blah blah." There are very few new scams anymore they're just updated versions of old scams.

exactly. No legitimate seller would waste words by splicing a death announcement into a classified ad. It's there to create sympathy, forestall normal questions and, most of all, to attract the kind of folks who would like to take advantage of a grieving person by stealing their valuable car.

Every good scammer wants the mark to thinks he's the shark. It's scam 101.

via GIPHY

Last edited by edsnova
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.