Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

As per usual, Greg has hunted down a weird replica. I'm wondering when the "cease and desist" letter is coming from the VW group, who are generally humorless about this sort of thing. I'd guess pretty soon.

I'm also wondering what makes this a "1971" body, though. It's an impact bumper body, not a longhood. If I were guessing, it looks a lot more 1981 than 1971.

I really like the food truck.

I'm skeptical. Enlarge the photos, and the one from the left rear quarter shows a van with a European long license plate in the background. In an outdoor shot on their Facebook listing taken from the right rear quarter, again are cars with Euro long plates in the background, car makes not sold in the US, and cars with Euro-spec side amber fender marker lights.

The photos with a shop area in the background have a distinctly European look, and if you look up the address of their LLC place of business in Hallandale, its a house. Of the two principals, one is based in Argentina, the other in Florida at the house.

If it IS made in Argentina, I don't see how they can make it there, import it here, and sell it for $4950.

Other than that, a total void of information on this body (and the IH Metro van project) that I'd hope they'd be a little more proud of.

Slightly less confidence-inspiring than the 911 body by PanchKits, in Bangkok, Thailand:

PanchKits 911 body

Although PanchKits will make it in carbon fiber for $20K, and they have a 'glass VW microbus body, as well as a Mazda RX3 and possibly a Skyline and a CarreraGT body also.

By the time you buy the body, get it shipped to your place, build a rolling chassis (either Pan or tube frame, I don't care) with decent disk brakes and a stout (read that Type 4 or Suby) engine, then add an interior and all of the trim bits (that are so hard to find these days), you could have bought a great used 996, probably saved $10-20K in the process and be driving it now, instead of after the year or two it'll take to build it from scratch.

I do like that Metro Milk/Ice Cream Truck a lot, though.....

@Theron posted:

Don't overlook this disclaimer. "This kit car is ideal for building exhibition cars, it is also intended for advertising on thematic sites or for movie sets."  There appears to be no structural supports, it's not made for driving.
-=theron

That’s why you put it on a monocoque or tube frame with 1/4 turn fasteners or pins, like a 935 or a 924GT.
9831716E-CBF1-4CC3-8B91-4AF8B6E285B13DAA91B4-C246-4C9C-BC36-CA7F21F3B4EFD6A07110-26F0-4A67-A2F0-0AA6221A6911Given Carey’s Super Coupe chassis is probably pretty close to 911 dimensions, it’s probably an ideal candidate.

Attachments

Images (3)
  • 9831716E-CBF1-4CC3-8B91-4AF8B6E285B1
  • 3DAA91B4-C246-4C9C-BC36-CA7F21F3B4EF
  • D6A07110-26F0-4A67-A2F0-0AA6221A6911
Last edited by dlearl476
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.