Skip to main content

Classified postings do not allow for discussion (replies are not allowed).  Direct message the member if you would like to discuss the item.
The Classified section is open to any individual (non-commercial firms) posting of items for sale. Members posting commercial advertisements must be enrolled in a Supporting Merchant program. 
Postings without relevant details (PRICE, location, condition, etc.) will be deleted.

Vince,

If YOU wanted to know the price, you could have emailed and asked as a couple of other interested and potential buyers did. There was nothing to hide, only privacy to be maintained.

Oh, and Vince, that is ONLY one of the places you are different from some others. ;-)

Cory and others.

I kept the "IMPOSTR" plate, whether I use it or not, I don't know. JohnB is not a vanity plate kinda guy and will probably go with a Yellow/Black, vintage look CA plate.

So, the car is NO LONGER mine and should now be known as "JohnB's IM" or "JohnB'scar". And Cory, I too was thinking of "Sloop" for the obvious reasons. However, JohnB is British and since it is NOW JohnB's IM...

I have to tell you all that JohnB is a great guy. We had lunch and a few beers before getting to it and even if he would have passed on the car, we both had a great time! I know all of you SoCal folks will really like him and his sense of humor.

Enjoy your IM JohnB!

Okay, let me get this straight...
A guy lists his car for sale on 4/27.
It is a very well known car on this site and very well documented.
There are a ton of photos to look at, numerous awards won/articles written.
Everyone knows the guy.
And you guys are bitching that he didn't list the price?
Anybody who was interested could have emailed/called Dale to get that info.
Obviously an interested party did just that and the car was sold in four days!
I would say that the car was probably sold at a bargain price.
I would also say that Dale obviously knew what he was doing by leaving the asking price out of the ad.;)
I know what he got and I'm not telling......;-)

Dale is a good friend and a truly standup guy in EVERY way. I think people are just looking to see what the market is for a VERY fine award winning Intermeccanica. If you paid Dales price you would know. If JohnB chooses to tell you fine. But I would respect the privacy of the Buyer and Seller and just know they are both happy with the deal.

"Nuf said"
It's not a matter of what Dale got and it's certainly not an assessmant of his car. There is no doubt Dale is every bit of the stand up guy people say he is. What I was saying is that normally when someone sells something they post a price. I don't care what Dale got for his car, it doesn't matter, as long as Dale and John B are happy screw everyone else. But to play this like it's some coveted collectors item and ooooh and ahhhh is silly. It's a replica speedster plain and simple and a very nice one at that.
No, no, no Terry, thats not what I'm saying, ugh! I guess my point isn't being made. It was the "air" of the post (call to discuss, etc...) was one of those things that came across as "this car is a 'select vehicle' and if you have to ask you don't understand what you're dealing with here." It's a frickin replica speedster, not a collectors item. I know I sometimes see these issues from a different view so I'll wave the white flag. I surrender. :)
Mickey,
There was no "air" to my initial post. It was simple and nothing was claimed other than there were "some nice add ons". I didn't call to discuss, I just placed an add for sale.

There are no forum rules, as on some other sites, about stating a price or commenting on the item/car being sold. I did not intend to set it up as an auction type sale or I would have placed an add on EBAY.

As stated previously, the car was purchased by a great guy that I hope participates in SoCal SOC events and I really hope he drives up to the BBQ in Vancouver.

As an aside, I really hope more of the SOC members drive up to the IM BBQ. It is NOT the IM LOVE FEST some of you think.

Like Vince, I love this site. 20,000

I totally understand where Mickey is coming from, especially since it is an IM...Typically when someone puts an ad on this forum, the first thing we ask is,
HOW MUCH, when it is not in the ad....
Dale Bates is an ole crony who has been around the block a few times, so why would someone of his "Caliber" not complete the ad..
I initially thought it was a little flakey myself....In fact, I'm still not totally satisfied...I may have to go satisfy myself....
damn it....
Dale, at the risk of beating a dead horse - No, there are no rules on this site about posting a price (though maybe there should be). I'm not saying you set it up as an auction because you didn't, but that's how auctions work, you place an item up for sale without a deignated price attached and wait to see what someone is willing to pay for it, in that lies the "air" I was referring to.
Maybe what you were asking was none of our (the potential buyers) business? Maybe you were afraid of getting blasted for asking too much or too little? When I see "email me and I'll give you a number if you want to discuss this very special Intermeccanica" I see "call me and we'll talk about price". I still fail to see why a price wasn't attached. I'm out.

Lane, I thought that made hair grow on your palms?

I actually do not think Dale was fishing to see what he could get, he had a minimum in mind, we all do when selling something, the "Air" I got was intentional but for other reasons, known only to Dale and left for the rest of us to surmise....but be sure, there was a reason....
I just like being an A-hole...

Oh, I love this..John B is a joker too....and he's my neighbor in Manhattan Beach, I wonder if that means I will be cruising with him in the future....I hope my Fiberfab doesn't catch anything from his newly aquired IM....
Jeff,

I did that about 4-5 years ago. Henry does them as an option and I bought the parts from him and installed them myself, almost. I got the rear bars on but could not get the front bar correct. I ended sending my front bumper and the parts back to Henry for a bumper repaint (I really did a number on the bumper) and bars install.

You are right. It is not inexpensive and you have to want it bad.
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.