Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This seller did a fantastic job with high quality photos, constantly adding videos up to the final minutes, & answering every possible question with knowledgeable, timely, & courteous responses. The car was color-sanded & is immaculate. Potential buyers who went to see the car in advance confirmed it was even nicer than the photos indicated. IMO, the winner's bidding pattern sent a strong message that he was going to take the auction regardless of the price. And yes DannyP, the 'not being manufactured anymore' factor was discussed right to the end. The seller was brilliant in letting no relevant stone go unturned. And on top, there's about $10K additional for the 5% BaT fee, state sales tax, & transport from CA.Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 4.34.42 AM

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 4.34.42 AM
@barncobob posted:

U can get a real nice 991 for that

Bob -

Respectfully, this isn't the first time you've pointed this out. You're aware that most anybody here could have bought a 911 (at the time they bought their speedsters), assuming that's what they wanted.

Speedsters are no longer $30K cars... but then neither are 911s. When Speedsters were $30K cars, so were 911s - and yet, we all made the choice to get what we've got. The heart wants what the heart wants.

As most of us have already decided that we didn't want a 911 and did want what we've got, I'm confused about what the point proves. There are no small number of people here who, like yourself, wanted and have both.

I never know what to do with the point (that a nice 911 is available for the same money).

I have what I want. Don't you?

Last edited by Stan Galat

And to put a slightly finer point on it: I do not think I would want a "real" Speedster, even if I could have one for "the same price".  At this day and age, the only reason to have a real one is to say that you have a real one, and are a big money-bags sort of guy who can afford to drop six figures on a collectors' item.  God forbid you should ever drive it in the rain.  I had two steel 356s and they both rusted out from under me.  The A Normal moved and ran well, if not at an exhilarating pace.  And while the S90 was a pretty sweet machine that I really do wish I still had, my not-really-real Speedster (2332) would wipe it off the road in any sort of race, for sure.  So there is that.

@Stan Galat posted:

Bob -

Respectfully, this isn't the first time you've pointed this out. You're aware that most anybody here could have bought a 911 (at the time they bought their speedsters), assuming that's what they wanted.

Speedsters are no longer $30K cars... but then neither are 911s. When Speedsters were $30K cars, so were 911s - and yet, we all made the choice to get what we've got. The heart wants what the heart wants.

As most of us have already decided that we didn't want a 911 and did want what we've got, I'm confused about what the point proves. There are no small number of people here who, like yourself, wanted and have both.

I never know what to do with the point (that a nice 911 is available for the same money).

I have what I want. Don't you?

How true this is Stan, we keep beating this subject around every so often and everyone has there own illusions or dellusions on our cars.  We also have those who feel second class as their cars were not made by P.  So, I  will simply state the obvious, we have cars that are CUSTOM MADE to our own likes, and doing so allows individuality not so with a standard 911 even if you can do some upgrades.  The fact that the bodies are glass is also substantially better from chasing the rust bug.  And,  as @El Frazoo says, rocket science comments, on a replica being a more fun car than an original for all the newer tech that they contain.

I passed on 911, Boxters etc.

P.S. Have you thought that at $86K plus all the fees the guy buying is really called Tucker! Maybe it should start with an S.  If the baby boomers finally get to the 80's we might be finding a lot more cars available,  or maybe in estate sales

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.