Skip to main content

Classified postings do not allow for discussion (replies are not allowed).  Direct message the member if you would like to discuss the item.
The Classified section is open to any individual (non-commercial firms) posting of items for sale. Members posting commercial advertisements must be enrolled in a Supporting Merchant program. 
Postings without relevant details (PRICE, location, condition, etc.) will be deleted.

I am starting to look for a 2006 to 2008 Cayman S. 

I have my eye on a couple now but wanted to check and see if anybody has one they want to let go of.

No black exterior or interior, (we live in Florida, it gets hot) automatic, (for the wife).

Preferably under 50k on the odometer.

I'm only interested in well cared for and maintained cars. No projects, etc.

Thanks!!

Bob

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Motocarlo:

I'm not interested in the 2.7 liter where the vast majority of the IMS problems are reported to have occurred. I'm looking for a 3.4 liter 6 cyl. From everything I've read, and I think I've read a hundred pages of details, reports and sales pitches, the 3.4's from 2006 forward have proven to be pretty much bullet proof. The comparable price difference between the two engine configurations with close to the same  mileage  and same year of mfg. seems to be $3k to $4 on average.

All things being equal, and with the cost of an LNG replacement bearing done right at about $3.5k to $5k with a clutch replacement thrown in with a manual, it makes sense to just buy a 3.4. Of course, the extra HP doesn't hurt.

I've promised my wife an automatic so she can motor along peacefully by herself. She learned to operate a manual driving Deere tractors growing up on her family farm, but she's over it now.

I've found two with less than 50k on the clock, well cared for cars that meet the parameters. Both appear to be immaculate examples with extensive maintenance records. I'll still have a PPI done. 

Planet 9, the Cayman and Boxster site has some good direction on what to look for. One thing was to have the water pump swapped out at about 50k miles.

What was your experience with yours like in terms of maintenance and parts?

Last edited by Panhandle Bob

I'd stay away from very low mileage cars, they need to be used to avoid cylinder bore scoring. At the least have a borescope done, but it's really involved. Sump must be dropped, borescope from inside the engine looking at cylinder when piston is at TDC.

These engines use Lokasil, not Nikasil. Nikasil is much more durable. Lokasil flakes off and can be found with oil analysis. I don't recall what elements to look for but the info is out there.

Also the 3.4 S engine had a later design larger IMS. It cannot be upgraded/replaced unless the case is split. However, they have less than a 1% failure rate, most often garage queen low-mileage cars. Again, drive them as stay away from low mileage examples. These are NOT the same as 986/996 Boxster or 911 engines.

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.