Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Louisa posted:

I have a list of options on the car which include 2110 engine, dual 44mm IDF Weber carb., full flow oil cooler with power fan and automatic temp switch..... 

Louisa: the full flow oil cooler helps cool the oil which "theoretically" helps keep the engine cooler than otherwise. My IM6 for instance has 2 remote oil coolers, each with a fan at the front of the car, to HELP keep the oil cool which HELPS, along with AIR, to keep motor cool....essentially protect it from overheating and destruction. My car AND the very nice IM Roadster that you are considering are largely AIR COOLED, helped a bit by the remote oil coolers.

As ALAN, a very knowledgeable gentleman, suggested above,  the car is AIR COOLED but the oil coolers help a bit by cooling the oil.....keeping oil temps in a quality range.

Last edited by Banzai Pipeline
Louisa posted:

P.S. Has oil cooled been replaced by liquid cooled ? 

Porsche now ONLY makes liquid/water cooled motors as they throw off considerably LESS pollution. The EPA guidelines are such that aircooled cars are now a thing of the past, largely to pollute less...... although collectors and PORSCHE aficionado buffs seem to prefer and collect air cooled cars.

Again oil cooled are actually "AIRCOOLED" with a bit of help from oil coolers. Water(LIQUID) cooled have replaced air cooled as they pollute less and are more efficient, better gas mileage. Most replicas are air cooled but recently, folks are opting for water cooled SUBARU motors when building a new replica or even replacing their old worn out air cooled motors with a Subaru motor.

Some prefer air cooled, others do not...personal preferences.

This IM Roadster is likely a great car but any purchase should be prefaced with a thorough PRE-PURCHASE INSPECTION by a master mechanic....expertise by someone familiar with these cars. Very important to have all of that information BEFORE buying so that you do NOT make a bad investment.

No one can predict the future...I bought a brand news 500G BENZ back in 2006 for $85,000 and it broke down on the way home from the dealer....SH*T happens

That is a very nice looking roadster indeed.....sort of the ROADSTER version of my speedster, with 2 LESS CYLINDERS and a 4 speed tranny as mine has a 5 speed. This ROADSTER also has A/C which is a nice option if you like A/C.

There are many folks on this forum that can offer great advice but insist on an inspection before buying so you are prepared to make a quality decision.

I haven't seen the 2007 but it does rather sound like a stretch at $70K with the options it has.   Just saying. 

It is over 10 years old and even if low mileage you need to look at it as many things will/may need to be sorted out.  Looking and good pre sale inspection brings wisdom.

At that price buy Banzai, you can drive it and keep it for a few years and get your money back .  Louisa, don't you need a Hawaian vacation to check out the car  

IaM-Ray posted:

I haven't seen the 2007 but it does rather sound like a stretch at $70K with the options it has.   Just saying. 

It is over 10 years old and even if low mileage you need to look at it as many things will/may need to be sorted out.  Looking and good pre sale inspection brings wisdom.

At that price buy Banzai, you can drive it and keep it for a few years and get your money back .  Louisa, don't you need a Hawaian vacation to check out the car  

Thanks for the support IaM-RAY....

One never knows what the market will bring on a given day....but certainly my car($102K build in 2008/$135K today) carries a bit of resale clout in the 70s and money down the road. Probably a bigger bang per dollar value than a 2007 ROADSTER, 4 cylinder, 4 speed @69.5K.....who knows?

Some folks like the Roadster room although tons of deep room in my speedster. I would have to say the pedigree of an IM6 is very desirable, if all systems crisp and clean......I am trying to talk myself out of selling although reminded as going for final nose surgery tomorrow morning.

Can't justify selling this beautiful growling animal but can't justify keeping it and having to drive only on overcast days, wearing 70 SPF sunscreen, at 7:30 in the morning.......... caught between the SUN and a HARD-PLACE.

Heck I'm grateful for the run....now time for someone else to get their freak moving!

A daily driver depreciates at a wholesale value by 60% at the 4 year mark but this market does not follow this depreciation curve. 

So Banzai, my comments were simply to try to inject a bit of reality into the pricing that we are now finding in the marketplace.  I am not trying to denigrate nor directly support a vehicle but in reality I am never the less making a value statement as to the depreciation curve.  

With an IM-6 the car was at the top end of the scale and where you have yours is in the market place in my opinion.  

IM's have sometimes been offered at what I consider is an astronomical price in this market. 

10 years ago a new IM 2110cc probably went for $70ish new!  Now 10 years later to ask the same price makes for an interesting marketing plan to say the least. 

I mean a 10 year old car, unless preserved in a time capsule, will have to have pretty much all systems gone over and like it or not all things go from an ordered state to a disordered state ... they simply age and dry out etc.  You cannot easily see this by a cursory look and a short drive. 

Enough said but

2007/12 y.o. being offered at 70K,    4 cyl 2110cc.

then a 2008 IM-6 $70K  2.7L    5 speed

and a near new 2017 IM-Subie for $79K   4 speed

What is wrong with this picture?  

At least one of the asking prices is out of range by a lot. 

Last edited by IaM-Ray

I actually think my car is a BARGAIN! It is one of a short dozen in existence, is in MINT condition despite its age, and the pedigree(if you excuse the expression) is without question. It is merely HALF the price of a new one and unlike almost every other replica on the planet.....ALMOST(BOB:IM6 of course).

AND....as you suggest....will likely fetch the same or MORE(?) 5 years from now(?).

The fact that the 2017 IM SUBIE is priced about the same as my car is a bit of an eye-opener...as is the pricing of the 2007 IM Roadie..

Truly do not know what to make of it other than it AINT apples and apples..

More like BELUGA and OSSETRA

I just thought the pricing exercise was warranted and I agree.

If I was a US citizen looking for an IM with some power your IM-6 would be on my radar. 

I mean a 2110cc is nice, having owned one for 5 years,  but it is no comparison to an IM-6 for power or handling with the IM-6 having the 900 series front end while the 2007 IM has beam front end. 

Tom's is a newer Subie IM with 900 front suspension albeit 914 but it is newer and also much different in power and drivebility compared to a 2007 IM.

In my opinion, IM-6 is the best value in the equation if you want a P engine and to get your money back should you want to get out of the hobby and Tom's for a near new build.

@Louisa. This is great information on the motor type and also the value of these replicas. But one thing stood out in your post about "I don't work on cars". I thing the understanding that these motors are old technology might assist.  Tuning Carberators and distributors.  Valve adjustments every 3,000 miles. A good VW mechanic can manage these  and should be found before a purchase of any replica with a VW motor. 

I write this not to detour you from considering a replica, but rather to give you knowledge and understanding that though it is a 2007 build, it is not the same as buying a 2007 Mercedes SL which could be found for a lot less money (turbo V12 model even).

Best,

Stephen

DannyP since Banzai sold his car the IM-6 is off the table so her choices are:

Roadster 2007-IM-2110cc $69500          (seems a bit high to me) 

or

Speedster 2017 IM-Subie 2.5L  $79K             (new build essentially)   900 series front end

or

soon to me on the market

Roadster 2003 IM-1835cc  $45K  ?     Redone except for paint. 

BTW I think @MotoCarlo is asking $45K but don't quote me on it. 

@Louisa

Yes, it is Lisa and Bill's it is probably the closest IM built to duplicate a Convertible D 1959 model. It was built in 2007.

I talked to Bill when I was looking into an IM and Bill had just completed the build. He was very interesting to chat with and owned originals as well. His goal at the time was to build a true recreation so he could leave his originals at home and drive the IM daily.  Rather his wife would drive it. 

It is a Very nice and complete replica. It even has an original steering wheel, and column and shifter. Rubber floors like the original.  It also has slanted front signal lights, those are like unobtainable today. 

Glad to hear that you reached a price that you could both live with and that we were able to maybe shed a little light in your process. 

Enjoy the car. 

Ray 

IaM-Ray posted:

Yes, it is Lisa and Bill's it is probably the closest IM built to duplicate a Convertible D 1959 model. It was built in 2007.

I talked to Bill when I was looking into an IM and Bill had just completed the build. He was very interesting to chat with and owned originals as well. His goal at the time was to build a true recreation so he could leave his originals at home and drive the IM daily.  Rather his wife would drive it. 

It is a Very nice and complete replica. It even has an original steering wheel, and column and shifter. Rubber floors like the original.  It also has slanted front signal lights, those are like unobtainable today. 

Glad to hear that you reached a price that you could both live with and that we were able to maybe shed a little light in your process. 

Enjoy the car.
Ray 

Who are Lisa and Bill? 

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.