Skip to main content

Exhausts are in the "ear of the beholder" Car companies spend huge sums for the "correct" exhaust note. Then the aftermarket thrives on what people really want, like Scott. Eveyone's opinion is valid, its their ride. Unfortunately we are somewhat limited in our choices, but they still have to work for the owner. As John can attest, it better to get it right the first time, or live near Vancouver!
I hear you Cory, the problem is that Ron is no longer a kid.

I agree with Scott on the loud and obtrusive issue. If the noise is too loud you just aren't driving fast enough to put it behind you. Obviously there is a compromise between fit, looks and sound but I think the MK will be just fine. If someone following you thinks it's too loud that's because they are following too close grabbing a look at that really neat muffler.
Howard,
We put the exhaust on steve's project cabriolet the other day. Car is a 3.2 with euro "pre-muffler" aka no cat. Installed a two in two out stainless steel Dansk. The exit pipes are big enough for me to stick my balled up fist into them and not touch the sides. WAY FREAKING COOL!!!!

We haven't finished wiring the engine yet, so we can't fire it but we bought it on good authority that the sound is somewhat loud but not obnoxious. Will set car alarms off in close proximity under full throttle but top down motoring will still (allegedly) be pleasant.

Want a pic? Looks awesome! Can't shoot pic until Sunday as we have plans for tomorrow.
angela
I dream of someday owning a car like this . . . It looks incredble. I really love the color. I sat in an IM at Carlisle and Henry had to pry me out before I drooled all over the pretty leather seats. Someday . . . Someday.

I'd have to sell both the Coupe AND the Beck to swing one the way I would want it done.
BUT . . . You gotta have dreams.

Congrats to you Rick and Howard to you too as well. Your cars are going to be awesome. Howard I'm just 5 miles over the Jersey border near Easton Pa. Would love to meet up with you sometime and see that new ride once it comes home to NJ.
Tom, thanks for your thoughts. You've got your coupe project to look forward to and I think that will keep you busy driving for a while.
These 911 powered IMs may not be everyone's E-ticket but it sure has me pumped! I've always been torn between my favorite look, the 356 and my favorite driver, the 911. We think this project will give us the best of each.
I dropped by IM yesterday and documented some more progress. All the suspension parts are apart, blasted and ready for powder coat etc. The engine is pretty well ready to install and Kevin created a nicely detailed wiring harness for it. Interior bits are almost finished and lots of other stuff going on, but it should all come together and be fairly complete by the IM BBQ which is a few weeks ahead of the deadline we had requested.

Attachments

Images (3)
  • _DSC3053
  • _DSC3071
  • _DSC3076
Rick, Now THAT'S WHAT i'M TALKIN' 'BOUT! I love to see it come together. I'm living off your photos. My car is in prep for painting, no pics as yet. My engine is being detailed,and gone over, I hope it shines likes yours! I really am interested in that MK and how it sounds. See in you in a short 3 weeks. Hopefully we'll have a Nassau/marina silver blue, IM GS speedster 6, to talk about also.
Here's some updates on the Roadster 6 taken by Henry on Wednesday. The visors are NLA and the instrument panel is near complete. All the dash nobs and pieces are being painted. We are in Vancouver on Monday to work on some final details with Henry before we meet everyone back at IM next Friday for the BBQ and weekend tour. This has been a fun ride and it's only going to get better once the rubber meets the road.

Attachments

Images (3)
  • Rdstr6-01124
  • Rdstr6-01125
  • Rdstr6_01126
Hi Rick, I spoke to Henry today. I was hoping, to "hear" something coming out of the MK system. Henry said this might not get done for the BBQ weekend. My body shell wont see any paint till after I get back home. No matter, I'm driving Henry's car for most of the weekend. Can't wait to see your part of the continent with the "faithful" 356 crowd. I love the pics your posting, keep em' coming. See you soon!
Howard, it's neat that you'll get to enjoy some open air motoring because the scenery is fabulous, as are the roads. You will have a good time, guaranteed!
I don't expect the car to be running by next Friday. Given the preparation for IM hosting the gang for the BBQ and Tour along with trying to get our car reasonably ready for "public" viewing, I am amazed at the progress. I really look forward to meeting you and Madeline and your friends. The project car will get finished soon enough so right now I'm more interested in the good driving and fellowship we're all going to have a week from now.
Rick, Its July 4th and were packed and ready to go early in the AM tomorrow, your car looks GREAT!!!! Your right, alot has been accomplished since your last set of pics. The wheel looks like it belongs, fuel cell in, everything coming together. I too, would have loved to hear that puppy fire up, well chances are I'll be out again when my car is ready for delivery. Am toying with the idea of driving it home. From British Columbia to New Jersey, can anyone say "ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!" See you SOOOOOON!!!
Its 8pm, the kids are ready for sleepovers with our fine neighbors, we'll get a good nights sleep and be half -way there when your got the coffee goin'. Life is for the living, family, friends and the hobbies that keep us interested. Damn fine car your building Rick, I just want to touch it! I'm bringing my D100, hope you can show me a thing or two. The opportunity for good photography abounds.
I've posted some update photos (rdavis) as of July 15. The rear wheels went out for widening to 7.5" on Monday, the front wheels remain at 15x5.5". We'll be mounting 205/65 and 225/60 when they return from the powder coating. With IM closed for vacation next week it will be early August before the engine breathes life. Getting pretty excited!

Attachments

Images (3)
  • _DSC3358
  • _DSC3373
  • _DSC3400
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.