Skip to main content

Well, I dunno what to say. Been lurking on this thread for a while. My keyboard has shorted out a few times on account of drool. This "rendition" of the 356 Speedster is so awesome, I really do not know how to consider it. A VERY fine machine, obvioulsy, and so far out of my class, it's hard to relate. It is a monster with complete finess. So well conceived and executed, it scares me.

It's what I might do -- if/when I win the lottery.
Again, thanks for your nice comments. I hope the crew at IM reads this thread because they deserve all the credit for executing our vision so nicely. Henry sent me some pics last night showing the top installed. The back window treatment was done as requested and blends the Roadster top shape with the low bow Speedster rear window. I'm happy with the results. Our MK muffler is built and polished and should be here by EOM so hopefully we'll get to hear that 2.7 fired up in early August. Can't wait.
By the way, those are temporary Fuchs wheels, our outlaw wheels are being widened and powder coated next week.

Attachments

Images (3)
  • DSC01224
  • DSC01228
  • DSC01232
Henry and the crew are back from two weeks of R&R and spent this week working on our Roadster along with several other almost complete cars. While IM was on vacation our wheels went to a specialty shop with the rear widened 2" on the inside and all four had that extra valve stem hole plugged. They are now 15x7.5 and 15x5.5, powder coated satin silver and have 225/60 and 205/65 tires mounted as shown in the photos (rdavis) file.
Could be running by mid week and may be licensed by next weekend which would be just a few days under 8 months from the day the first weld was struck on our chassis to a complete finished car. Keep in mind there were many custom features that prolonged the build plus the 911 cars take longer to build even without my special requests. I am very pleased with the creation time and it happened without any badgering of Henry and Co. I felt it was inappropriate to hover over the project when talented builders are trying to do their job and the progress was apparent with each update from Henry. My respect for the guys and gals at IM for their diligence and workmanship goes without saying, but I wanted to say it anyway just in case some of them read this.
I will post some final detail photos of the completed car after I get it home, hopefully in about a week.

Attachments

Images (3)
  • DSC01234
  • DSC01236
  • DSC01240
Hey Will, nice to hear from you. Glad your trip went well and look forward to seeing you and Tomm and Howard and all the other great folks at the 2008 version of the IM BBQ and Tour.

Cory, I hope nobody feels anything but a quickening pulse when they look at our new IM Roadster. I truly appreciate every car that SOC owners drive for personal enjoyment and be assured this car will be driven just like our old '78 IM Speedster... a lot!

I've just posted a dozen updates with some detail images as all the bit and pieces come together to complete the car. It should be running by Friday and go for inspection with B.C. issued VIN next week. Henry will be sorting throughout the week. Then comes the real fun!

Attachments

Images (3)
  • _DSC3908
  • _DSC3913
  • _DSC3934
NEWS FLASH!
As I type this the 2.7L engine in our Roadster is running on it's 20 minute break-in period at IM. Henry called me and held the phone to the car as Kevin blipped the throttle and I heard the sweetest sound ever. What a thrill that Henry called while it was running. Henry can now get it inspected, drive and sort the car and then it's our turn.
Well Howard, you've heard the old phrase, if one is good then two must be better?
Seriously, when we considered the kind of driving we do, where we go and the ambient temperatures some of these places offer we thought that overkill might be in order. There are no fans now but if needed in the future, the wiring is in place.

The horn button came out great, didn't it? At my request Henry had one of the boys craft this little jem from a original style Type A horn button and the IM hood handle crest.

Geez Howard, you should have been on my phone extension when Henry called with the engine running. I should have been wearing some Depends because I almost pissed myself when I heard that thing! This is getting just too exciting!
Rick, I hear you! I've e-mailed Henry, 4 times today about all matter of my build, your exhaust, those mirrors are exactly what I'm doing with the paint scheme, (did you steal my idea?) to match the car. I need a 12 step program!. I'm not going to make it w/o driving Henry crazy! I've got to calm down. Seriously though, I'm estactic for you and Brenda. This car will be amazing, well thought out, powerful, the Cat's meow. I hope my turns out half as well. Keep us posted, I'm particularly interested in the exhaust that MK built for you. It looks like fine jewelry.
Hey guys (and girls), don't tell Rick but I took his new car for a good long drive yesterday. Here's my report:

The first thing I noticed was the sound of the engine. It's pure adrenalin! I could listen to that engine and exhaust all day.

Next is the power. It comes on strong from idle. Forget the throttle, just let out the clutch and she just goes. Give her gas and your butt is pushed back in the seat as your ears are filled with music. You want torque, buckets of it at all rpm? This is the setup!

The shifting is smooth and clean, the pedals are setup nicely, and the leather seats........that leather is NICE! Its buttery soft!

What hits you later is the suspension. If any of you order IMs in the future, regardless of the engine, you have to get the Porsche suspension. The car handles like a race car, but at the same time soaks up every bump thrown at it. I drove the road to Whistler, and at the moment, that's the worst road on the planet. The car never bottomed out, and never passed a harsh bump to my backside. For me, that is probably the best feature of the car.

And the steering is light, precise and exact with no play. The car is a dream to drive. It's way too easy to go fast, and you don't feel the speed. This is a ticket making machine Rick, so be careful!

Henry and Rick, well done! I predict a number of IM 6s in garages in the future!
Thanks for posting your review Ron. I couldn't have said it better myself. I drove the car home yesterday and loved every mile of what is usually a tedious drive in our regular vehicles. The car is unreal!
Tomorrow Brenda and I leave for a planned two week vacation with the car to Tahoe. It shows just over 600 miles (thanks for adding some Ron) and ready for the road. We'll take lots of photos of the car on our travels and post some along with our impression of our first road trip with this wonderful IM Roadster 6.
Thanks again Henry and the great crew at Intermeccanica!
We're back from our two week tour to Tahoe and happy to report that we had a fabulous trip!
The odometer showed 656 miles when we left home which were previously accumulated by Henry and crew, Ron & Bev Leonard and ourselves as IM sorted and finished the final details on the car.
After a couple of days in Napa we arranged an appointment in Vallejo (thanks to Paul Harford) for an oil change and valve adjustment at the 1700 mile mark. We then toured Tahoe and Virgina City area before returning home via the Pacific coastal route. In total we drove 2849 miles averaging 19.6 mpg (U.S. gallon). We used virtually no oil before or after the oil change in Vallejo but the dry sump system and remote Mocal coolers hold almost 13 quarts of oil so we likely used some oil without a noticable change on the dip stick.
The car is way beyond what I expected. The ride and handling are pure 911 and the sound of that MK muffler along with the PMO's are music to the ears under both acceleration and deceleration. The engine sounds like a race car at WOT. It is intoxicating and I'm amazed that we got such decent gas milage since I was always testing it at every opportunity.
The Solex cams deliver smooth acceleration at all RPM's and make city driving as much fun as highway cruising and twisty roads.
We hardly listened to any tunes on our funky 50's Blauplunkt with iPod etc. since the engine sounded so good. Eventually the iPod will get some use, I hope.
To sum it up, this is a very fine machine and we truly appreciate the work Henry and the gang at IM did to create it and the eight month wait was worth every second.
Howard and Matt, you guys have much to look forward to with your IM-6's on the production line. Hope you are as satisfied as we are.
I've posted 6 pix of our drive in my photos (rdavis)

Attachments

Images (3)
  • _DSC4278
  • _DSC4301
  • _DSC4507
Rick-

It's been a pleasure to watch your car come together, albeit from a great distance. I'm really glad (but not all surprised) that the car has exceeded your high expectations. It really is a work of art.

More than that, I'm glad to see you doing what you do best with the car- traveling long distances without a second thought. My speedster is a little "closer to the bone" than my wife enjoys on longer trips, so I think the roadster was a really good call on your end as well (don't let Dale Bates tell you otherwise).

Anyhow, thanks for the posts, the pictures, and sharing your car with all of us!
Thanks Stan & Cory, this Roadster offers much comfort on long drives and will get mucho use over the upcoming years. This car is a blend of my favorite 356 physical features throughout the 50's but it has pure 911 DNA under the skin. It's our ultimate touring machine.
Cory, we did sell our '78 IM Speedster a couple of months ago plus our '32 Hiboy was sold last summer to make way for this project. I've said it before, this isn't everbody's dream car but it's the ultimate for our needs.
I'll post some detail photos of the completed car in the next couple of weeks. Right now I've got work to catch up on.
Ric, I have to chime in too. Great review, I appreciated your e-mail too. Yes Henry, and the crew are fast at work on my little project. As you said vintage look, will never get old, with 911 Double Helix at work underneath. Can you say the best of both worlds! Mt speedster might be a little less "cozy" than the roadster, but I love the wind in my hair and bugs in my teeth! Madeline may have a different take on it. We'll see. Coming to Vancouver, weekend of October 25 for the final "fitting". Would love to see the gang from the tour if possible. Matt and I have been in constant touch, were both juiced cheering on one another with each decision we make for our builds. Henry is amazing.
Long live Henry and IM...Henry saved me a bundle of cash yesterday actually when he diagnosed a problem over the phone. Could have cost me a lot of cash.

Anyway, I am usually a "buy it and sell it" kind of guy when it comes to cars... and somehow with the IM I have started down the path of long term toy ownership. Keep the great stories coming.

James
Tom's car may be green, but it does not compare to the envious shade on my face to see and hear about this masterpiece. I also recognize that this IM6 build is a cut above - way above - what is referred to too casually as a kit car. Running a full fledged 911 under a 356 body w/ special built chassis is not that same thing as a VW pan and powered replicar. And about twice or more the price, we need to keep in mind. So we're really talking about two different things here. But oh, what a difference!! Some other dude recently wanted to know about a Boxster under a 356 body. Hmmm. As others quickly piped in, that would be a really big deal, and I'm not sure even possible for a whole host of reasons. What that guy would really enjoy is this IM6: pretty much a Porsche through and through. Very, very nice.
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.