Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Rick -

I am SOOOOOO jealous of your new car build - exactly as I would have spec'd (with P-car drive train/suspension)...one of these days!

As would most of our colleagues on this site, I would enjoy your posting of a pictorial of the car's progress and eventually - a shake-down cruise evaluation. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that you'll be able to drive it to this year's IM BBQ. Did I mention that I am insanely jealous of your new toy?

Peace - Out!
Hey Dale, I tried sending 640 pixel images but the site kicked them back saying the maximum size file I can send is 150kb or about 280 pixels, thus the small size. I think Theron wants money to let me send the larger image files.

Jim, thanks for your thoughts. After a couple of years without any 911 cars in the assembly line Henry has 4 or 5 to do this year. This is a very exciting time for us!
HI Rick, Your frame must be the one Henry is working on before he gets to mine. Ive got a speedster 6 on order, 3.2l/915. Cant wait for him to get started. Seeing your pics gets me juiced. Im excited for both of us. These porsche 6 really define these cars , in my humble opinion. The performance, reliability, and value for the investment will speak for themselves. Henry has convinced me to do a fuel cell also. I think it makes sense given the additional weight, over type 1 or 4 motors. Good luck!
Of course my pimped out water cooled turbo will smoke all of you! Actually, your cars are making my brain hurt. I am going for the modern water cooled turbo with the ability to chip and such becaus of a personal choice. I really want to compare rides once we are all done. I will come to the BBQ (even without a car if I have to) this summer!

Tomm
Tomm's bringing chips to the barbecue!
If y'all get the chance, can you figure some way to have a friendly competition? Maybe throw out some cones or something? I'd be curious to see which powerplant does what in terms of performance and how the different makers' cars stack up for handling.
I envy you West Coast guys sometimes. Out here, we're talking about May, and who'll bring the snow-cones.
I've been tardy at updates with the progress on our new car so I've added some new photos and the build is coming along very well. The car was painted a week ago, is now polished with doors hung and should have a windshield installed today and the 911 suspension back from blasting and powder coating and installed this week. Upholstery and floor covering is in the works too. Wheels will be fitted and checked for clearance before they go for widening the rear pair and out for powder coating. The bare aluminum on them is too tough to keep clean so a satin silver coating plus clear will keep maintenance reasonable.
The RS 2.7 is patiently waiting along with the 915 ltd slip transaxle, to be installed. A Wevo shifter ass'y should work the gears smoothly. A ton of small details have been sorted with Henry and we'll be very close to Henry's self-imposed deadline of the IM BBQ weekend of July 6-8. I'm not pushing to have it fully finished by then but it will be very close. I know Howard & Madeline Bobrow are flying in from New Jersey for the BBQ weekend and to check on their 911 project and it'll be nice to show them ours.
The body color was special order in 1957 and is called orange but looks more like a burnt orange/brown color. It changes a lot depending on the lighting, like many colors.
We're pretty excited as we near completion. We've got the vintage '78 IM Speedster on the block and we hope some new owner will enjoy it half as much as we have.

Attachments

Images (3)
  • _DSC2931
  • _DSC2964
  • DSC01024
Hi Rick, I'm excited to see how far your build has come. I'm right behind you. Love your color combo, can't wait to get to the BBQ with Madeline and a couple of frends from the Big Easy, possibly looking for a car to build/buy? Tom and Becky are old friends and will be joing the fun in beautiful B.C. The kids are at home being looked after, so this trip is really special for us on many levels. Our car is being prepped for paint as we speak. Its a mid 60's Nassau/Marina corvette blue, with Garnet Red leather seats/silver blue piping accents and I'm still not sure of the squareweave color. So much to think about and consider. Can't wait to pick your brain. Henry has been great, appropriately keeping me on track. Looking foward to putting all the faces together.
Rick - you will love the PMO carbs. Absolutely wonderful units that put everything else on the market to shame (except really good fuel injection). Even gives really good fuel injection something to consider.

Love the color - can't wait to see that car in real life. The WEVO is a nice upgrade on the 915, but I've always liked 915's anyway. Amazing car, keep us posted.

angela
Thanks for your kind comments.
Howard, you guys are going to love the tour that follows the IM BBQ. It will give you a taste of just about every type of terrain B.C. has to offer from Pacific coastline forest to high desert and everything in between plus some great opportunities for fellowship among enthusiasts like yourselves. We look forward to meeting you, Madeline and your friends.
Angela, are you & Steve thinking about coming up for the tour? It is only a day's drive each way. Have a look at Henry's website: www.intermeccanica.com and check the details. If you could join us that would be great!

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DSC01023
Rick - Steve and I won't make the IM BBQ. Unfortunately... One of Steve's list of "must do" things is to see the fireworks over the capital for 4th of July. I have a business trip back there for a class I'm teaching starting July 9th. So I cashed in those frequent flyer mile and bought 3 more tickets for Steve and the children. We leave on the 30th of June and I won't get back until the 16th of July. Steve and the heathens get back on the 7th.

angela
Woops, I forgot to post a folder earlier with five pre-paint photos showing the car just after the polyester base paint was applied before final body work. I had just finished spraying the entire underside with a black truck box liner material. The pics show some detail on the chassis and the McPherson strut towers up front. This setup is used on all IM-911 cars.
If you look close at the rear wheel openings you can see the approximate 2" setback of the rear wheel opening for facilitate the longer rear suspension arms from the LWB 911's.
I'll post more painted and assembly photos as things progress over the next 4 weeks.

Attachments

Images (3)
  • Rdstr6_2831
  • Rdstr6_2834
  • Rdstr6_2835
Many of you are on the same page as me when it comes to creating your car your own way. Others prefer the all original look and it's all good. Our new project is a mixed bag of everything from the 50's that Porsche had to offer with a considerable dash of our own ideas. Incorrect as can be, but it's what we wanted.
Here's an update of one of the custom features that show how much Henry and crew will do to satisfy someone's idea. I wanted to have bumpers that virtually flowed into the body, almost like they were a part of it. I wanted the look of the very early Gm

Attachments

Images (3)
  • _DSC2950
  • _DSC2956
  • _DSC2955
Rick , I love what your doing! Those wrap around bumpers will look killer when done. Outlaw!!!! Im going for a GS speedster look, alittle more conventional, but witha mix of modern details, but maintaining the essence of the "original". Anyway you cut it, Henry goes and makes it happen. I have yet to hear the word NO. Sometimes maybe I should!
I hear you and I like both. I couldn't make up my mind until I saw Marco de Aquila's car in person, here in New Jersey. With the 3.2l, I wanted as much rubber as I could get. But what turned me, was how subtle and tasteful Henry's flare package was. If you didn't know it was there you could only really tell, if you had a non-flared version to compare it to. The cartoon flares from "other" manufacturers look to me out of place and yell, "KIT CAR". Either way these cars are just made right, down to the last nut and bolt. Sure there is a premium, but you can SEE where the funds go. I love the photos, keep them coming. I hear the Matt Stoich, who is in production with his IM 6 is "borrowing" your bumpers for his build. Ain't it GREAT!
Ron, I hope you made a typo on your descriptive word choice, otherwise I'm gonna be sick!

Henry sent me some update images last night which I've added to my photos. This is just one week after I last saw the car which at the time was getting wet sanded and polished. The "elves" at IM are keeping busy!

Attachments

Images (3)
  • DSC01058
  • DSC01059
  • DSC01062
Rick, It looks like your on the front burner now! I'm living vicariously through your photos,hoping that your car can be fired up by BBQ time. I'm particularly interested in your exhaust. It looks like an MK fabrication. Am I correct? If not how are you handling the rear end exhaust? It looks great, should come together rapidly now that final assembly has begun. I'd like to see my painted body by the time the Q rolls around. Keep us posted.
Howard, we waffled back and forth on the exhaust, looking at a 911 dual in/out muffler which is on the engine we bought, a 911 Sport muffler and the MK Sport which looks like a 356 muffler and the later won the toss. Good looks and great sound should make it a keeper. Noise could be an issue on a long drive but we'll cross that bridge later.
It's very possible that the Roadster will be running by BBQ time which would be cool.
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.