Skip to main content

I just ran around the neighborhood. I've got a route I like that allows me to get on it a bit without getting caught in traffic.

Yes Henry did say the gauge was going to be changed.

Did you have a chance to play with Rick's shifter? I've never had any trouble finding the gears with your current shifter, but I do like the short-shifter better.
Sounds like a neat combo for a speedster.
I really enjoy the same combo in a spyder. Wicked fast!!!

Here's a shot of a "vintage 356/550" boost gauge hand made from a modern VDO gauge
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/57_speedster/100_4334.jpg

Is the wastegate plumbed back into the exhaust or is it just dumped? Last spyder I did was a dump and you could watch the people turn their attention when the wastegate opened up... WOOOOSH. Fun stuff.

I noticed your comment about engine covers and if you don't feel like designing something, there ate TONS of covers already out there. Mostly plastic and carbon, but I've seen a few in polished or brushed aluminum and stainless too.
Tomm,

You are living in a different universe than I am and most of the others here as well. Very impressive deal, and my congrats to you (and the IM folks) for doing such a job. Sounds like you and this car are going to have a lot of fun together. All parked in a row somewhere, your car and mine and the others would look ~ the same, but you have something really special there underneath. Enjoy the madness (water cooled woot!) and please keep it out of the weeds.
Ron: I'm going to stick with the stock shifter as I had no issue with it in the test drives. I did try Rick's WEVO shifter and it is very nice, just not $600 nice for me.

Carey: The stock diverter valve is used so it is plumbed back into the intake. Because there is no airbox to muffle the sound, I get teh great WOOT! sound. No BOV needed.

The engine cover looks good and was modified from an Audi unit by cutting it to fit the fuel pressure regulator and the new intake manifold. Thru the engine lid you can read "TURBO" and see the 4 Audi rings.

Kelly: I will try my best to keep the car out of the weeds, rocks and water!

Tomm

Tomm, just reading the descriptions above made the little hairs on my neck stand up. I agree with the 'future of IM' comment -- sounds like the wave of the future to me, too!
It sure is a nice combination of what we'd expect to see from them and what you'd want in an IM. Are you planning to get a little track time to really open it up under controlled conditions?
Hi Tomm, Your pics bring back good memories of last January when mine came off the truck. It was 18 degrees and Madeline and I still drove with the top down. Great to see your car done finally, enjoy it and just know that the future will turn into a love affair, which will have to be worked through. Its good to have Intermeccanica at your side. Good luck and enjoy!!!!
All,

I need hints on licensing. I was pretty sure I could qualify for YOM plates (which I bought) but the local licensing office in Bellingham would not do it. I went to two offices looking for the right answer and got two! First was simple: "Thats a 2008 car and we will only license as such." Second was ominous: "That is a foreign car with no port of entry documentation, go back to the border and get it inspected. If customs says you have a 1959 Porsche, you are in luck. If not, we will not license it at all because it is not certified to meet CA emissions regs which WA now requires. Go to Montana and register it then bring it to WA after a year as a used car." IM does supply a valid Manufactuer's Statement of Origin for these purposes but the folks in B'ham wouldn't take it.

Any suggestions?

Tomm
Tom,

I am sure you have done this already, but if you have not talk to Henry. He will guide you through this process.
I did a quick look on Washington's DMV to see if they have a SPCN or specially constructed vehicle section in their registration similar to Ca. Did not find anything but I did not look very hard.
What does Henry say? You can also e-mail other IM owners in your state for advice.
I thing the registration issues are very interesting and the more posts we have on this the better for our general knowledge. Going through the reg process myself in Ca.

Good luck
Dave

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DSC00623
Tomm,
You could always title in OR. My experience with OR DMV was easily the simplest most painless thing I've ever done through any DMV office. They only inspected the VIN and reviewed the paperwork: BOS,MSO, and my application. Didn't even safety check the car! For all they cared there was a hole in the floor and I dragged my feet Fred Flintstome-style to stop! My 2006 Beck is titled as a 1957 Porsche, and it is branded "Replica." Total counter time couldn't have been more than ten minutes.
Rich
Tomm, Brooks Walton has a 2005 that is registered in WA with vintage plates, he may have some knowledge of the way to go on this. Also, I registered my car in Oregon. Scott Sloan gave me a few tips, and the DMV was knowledgeable and cooperative. My car was a used Washington title. I was in and out of the DMV in about 20 min. No sales tax either! Scott mey be able to help you. And of course Henry should know. Good luck.
The car is now legally registered and licensed in the state of Washington as a new 1959 replica roadster. I wasted plenty of time going to the mom and pop license stores and finally went directly to the WA DOL office where I was in and out in 20 minutes minus only the 8.7% fee plus misc crap. While everyone outside the DOL demanded a 17 digit VIN, the DOL knew exactly what to do with the IM serial number and we sailed through.

I went for a lunchtime drive today. Found a curvy deserted road and still didn't get the rear to break loose. No balls I guess. No sense of pushing and really fun goosing it out of the apex. Hard braking into hairpins was very controlled. Go fast run of xxxMPH in 4th at 6000 RPM, still had acceleration and still had 5th to get into. No instability at xxxMPH, car felt well planted.

Tomm

HA Ha HA, Cory, that is good! Yesterday I went to Griot's store in Tacoma and dropped way too much on cleaning and polishing stuff. My dear wife was along and was culpable in the selection of machines and chemicals. We then went to the grand opening of a new Nordstrom's where she nearly got quid pro quo purchases which I, naturally, encouraged.

Went for a nice drive between raindrops this AM early. Still love it...

Tomm
All,

I've been getting in short drives between the nasty snow here in Olympia (the snow has become a tiring occurrence). With the boost trimmed at 15PSI and no more surging issues, the car is a true joy to drive in almost any situation. I'm taking it up to Henry after the Calgary car show for him to install the roll bar and to sort out the inevitable minor nits I want changed or fixed.

The roll bar is a requirement for the Cascades Car Club driving school I plan to attend in Portland, OR soon. I am more convinced than ever that I need a track day to get my confidence level up to driving the car hard. This is my first high power rear engine-rear drive car ('63 1192 cc bug does not count) and I find myself fearful of taking corners aggressively. All I hear is 'don't lift!' playing in my head so I dump way too much speed before motoring through corners.

Snowed again this AM. Flew to OR on the corp shuttle and the wings iced up a couple of times climbing out of OLY. Thank goodness for deicing boots on the leading edges. Can't wait for the weather to clear!

Anyway, I still love the car.

Tomm
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.