Skip to main content

Classified postings do not allow for discussion (replies are not allowed).  Direct message the member if you would like to discuss the item.
The Classified section is open to any individual (non-commercial firms) posting of items for sale. Members posting commercial advertisements must be enrolled in a Supporting Merchant program. 
Postings without relevant details (PRICE, location, condition, etc.) will be deleted.

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@WNGD posted:

I don't even have any idea whether $65,000 is reasonable any longer in this crazy market.

The proposition is getting pretty skewed. A brand new Club MX5 is $27k, with a warranty and a dealer network. No weird-Al insurance, titling, or service work required.

A nicely appointed C8 'vette comes delivered to your door with a V8 and enough power to bury any replica in a shallow grave for about the same money.

@Stan Galat posted:

The proposition is getting pretty skewed. A brand new Club MX5 is $27k, with a warranty and a dealer network. No weird-Al insurance, titling, or service work required.

A nicely appointed C8 'vette comes delivered to your door with a V8 and enough power to bury any replica in a shallow grave for about the same money.

Hey Stan, as you know, this hobby more and more can't be justified on a cost-vs-the-alternatives basis. Particularly is you're going to compare relative reliability, safety, power etc.

You either love what these represent and the memories you have or the appreciative looks/thumbs up you get, or you can do without the associated hassles/drawbacks.

But there's zero chance you get the same SEG out of a Miata , maybe the C8 in a different kind of way, doubtful you're a Speedster buyer in that case anyways, with a few exceptions.

@WNGD posted:

Hey Stan, as you know, this hobby more and more can't be justified on a cost-vs-the-alternatives basis. Particularly is you're going to compare relative reliability, safety, power etc.

You either love what these represent and the memories you have or the appreciative looks/thumbs up you get, or you can do without the associated hassles/drawbacks.

But there's zero chance you get the same SEG out of a Miata , maybe the C8 in a different kind of way, doubtful you're a Speedster buyer in that case anyways, with a few exceptions.

Amen.

I've always said (and it's even more true now) - if something else will scratch the itch, than by all means: buy that something else.

If not... then welcome to the madness.

A new turnkey Spyder is 60k. Mine cost me half that, and includes heated seats, Webasto cabin heater AND defrost, bluetooth radio/amp/speakers, cable shifter, custom made front sway bar, suspension tuned by me, a killer Raby motor with custom EFI, and soon to be rack and pinion steering. It even includes an 80% fitted emergency top.

Even figuring 40k into it(probably fair) plus my 18k Cayman S Covid special, and I'm WAY ahead of the game. And I have choices! Plus my wife has an old Impreza and we have a Dodge 4x4 truck, so we still go in the snow.

Yeah, let's not talk about practical, sensible alternatives. Please!

Every once in a while I think about the NA Miata I had. And then I quickly try to think about something else.

Bought it used, two years old, with 30K miles. Kept it for 15 years.

Here's what I poured into it in that time:

- gas

- oil

- one set of spark plug wires

- one clutch slave cylinder ($50)

The, ahem, AC was still blowing cold when I let it go. And why would it not? It was only 17 years old at that point.

@barncobob posted:

u can get any # of used porsches for $65K

The flip side of that data point is the two late 60’s 911 S’ I saw on eBay for the Buy It Now prices of $196K and $210K. Or this:

The gal I lived with in the 90’s was a LCSW  She had a client who was the CEO of a pretty well known company. We went on vacation one time and none of the rental car companies at the airport had a car he liked, so he had a taxi drive him to a Jaguar dealer and he put an F-type convertible on his Amex  

That’s the kind of people that buy $65-$75K Speedster replicas.  And quarter million dollar 911s.  

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.