Skip to main content

Met our goal! Put in a 1000 miles in socal on our coupe. ...Just under 1100 actually. Oil change & readjusting/torquing here & there tomorrow.

Bout ready to put the car on the trailer and go home and fade away.

I showed to keep my patience on our JPS build. Wasn't easy at times. But... We were rewarded with a nice coupe. I'm on good terms with Mr. Steele. A few upgrades I would imagine in the future to improve the car.

...Life is like a box of chocolates.

Last edited by MaxMartens
ALB posted:

@4Banger@9971- would either of you care to share engine specs- specifically, what cam/rocker  combo and heads/compression ratio your engines are/will be? 

4Banger- I'd love to see some shots of your car, and my apologies if you already have, but have you posted any pics? My mind is drawing a blank here.  Al

@MaxMartens- please post pics when you take possession! Any details on how your car is being outfitted?

I'd like to know the specs of their 2232 as well. I'm running street 2276, but with higher compression (than 4Banger), a narrow LSA cam and high lift ration rockers albeit 1.25" and I could go higher. 212F is the hottest I've seen my engine after 30 min  at 3800 RPM on the I5 in the summer. I'm running an external remote cooler above the transaxle space on a Vintage. I use a calibrated dipstick thermometer shoved in the dipstick opening and the temp gauge sits a little over center. Center position is approx 190 degrees.

ZFNHSN posted:
ALB posted:

@4Banger@9971- would either of you care to share engine specs- specifically, what cam/rocker  combo and heads/compression ratio your engines are/will be? 

4Banger- I'd love to see some shots of your car, and my apologies if you already have, but have you posted any pics? My mind is drawing a blank here.  Al

@MaxMartens- please post pics when you take possession! Any details on how your car is being outfitted?

I'd like to know the specs of their 2232 as well. I'm running street 2276, but with higher compression (than 4Banger), a narrow LSA cam and high lift ration rockers albeit 1.25" and I could go higher. 212F is the hottest I've seen my engine after 30 min  at 3800 RPM on the I5 in the summer. I'm running an external remote cooler above the transaxle space on a Vintage. I use a calibrated dipstick thermometer shoved in the dipstick opening and the temp gauge sits a little over center. Center position is approx 190 degrees.

@ZFNHSN what is the HP on most of the big 2 liter setup?  130? 150?

Ok, its time for my review of my JPS coupe and my experience with JPS.

Most of us know how JPS goes. I have a different twist on it.

My car went over on build time. A year plus over. Going in, I knew JPS cars run behind. Even a couple of years of build time, which was health related in instances. My delay may have been shop relocation related. I'll go with that.

I have multiple pages of 'spec' for my car. My car was built to my spec. Outlaw & blacked out trim & no trim at all. Up-spec'd the Subie motor to a 4 cam. Pro street trans (some trannies are built up more than mine), cross drilled rotors. Black interior, blue piping & grey carpet. ...Etc

IMG_5394

I came to the area solely to pick up my coupe and shake it down. 1000 miles in 12 days. We put together a 29 point punch list. John took it in no problem and turned it out in a day (with 175 miles on it at the time). Drove it to 1100 miles and had another 12 point punch list, & oil change. Re-torqued each time. Done quickly (half day) the second time. John stood behind his car. His current three tech/mech's are busy guys right now. One office person too. The JPS shop is rolling along at the moment.

All that being said, I am giving a positive review. Beauty car, good build and JPS has stood behind it. And they serviced it. This is MY experience. ...I cannot say how future builds will go, or time lines.

And to add, I feel my car is a good canvas to improve on. Personalization or tasty upgrades in the future. This car moves out and rides decent. Good heat, a/c and power windows. Compliments abound... I feel lucky.

Well, there you go. I like my JPS car. The wife does too. We have lived in it for days. Comfort was decent for such tiny seats.

Now we head back to the great PNW, and back to our winter reality. Cheers  

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_5394
calmotion posted:
ZFNHSN posted:
ALB posted:

@ZFNHSN what is the HP on most of the big 2 liter setup?  130? 150?

@calmotion I can't speak for others, but my 2276 deivers approx 150 HP and 150 ft/pounds to the rear wheels as per the dyno chassis. I sacrificed top end power and RPMs for HP and Torque down low. It's a lazy mans engine so to speak. I do wonder how a twin spark high strung motor would feel like on the Speedster. It certainly would be fun, but the majority of my driving is all city and to the beach and back. Having power in any gear is fun as long as it is below 5K RPM 😁

It’s a lot of fun doing motorhead stuff with your kids.

A month or so ago I did a Cars and Coffee with my son in his Carrera and me in my Speedster.  My son brought his two boys, 7 and 9 years old, with him, stuffed in the back seats.   Halfway there, we both took off out of a stop light with the Carrera pulling away at Warp 8 while I was still running on thrusters.    😳

When we got to the C&C place, the 7 year old sees me and says “We smoked ya, Grampa!”

It’s a lot of fun doing motorhead stuff with your kids.

A month or so ago I did a Cars and Coffee with my son in his Carrera and me in my Speedster.  My son brought his two boys, 7 and 9 years old, with him, stuffed in the back seats.   Halfway there, we both took off out of a stop light with the Carrera pulling away at Warp 8 while I was still running on thrusters.    😳

When we got to the C&C place, the 7 year old sees me and says “We smoked ya, Grampa!”

@Gordon Nichols can’t beat that fun. 👍

@MaxMartens posted:

My kid loves his beemer - wishes it was the M3. His car is small, but huge next to my car. His car should roast me in the curves, but I kept it pretty nailed, and it was his first time on the road anyway. Good camaraderie for us as motorheads... Fun times with my 27 yr old.

I'm sure he loves his Beemer, it's a great car for what it is.

My brother in law had an M3 convertible and it did a ton of things well. Getting noticed at a stop light wasn't one of them. In the land around here, Beemers in all forms don't get a second glance amongst the sea of Teslas and Porsches.

My BIL has had multiple 5 series as company cars too and they've become the upscale Toyota Camry/Honda Accord of yore. Incredibly capable but boring. He sold his M3 and bought a Aston Martin coupe. That thing screams and is a blast to drive. Parked beside a 356, Coupe or Super Widebody, only one of those cars will get admiring stares and questions.

But expecting a 4 speed 150HP car on for the most part, ancient underpinning to hang even close to a M3, AM or even a Tesla makes no sense. Miles per smile there's simply no comparison though.

Well I guess it became a who's who of who has what. Bravo!

I am not a BMW enthusiast, but the E46 has its own following, just as 356 Porsches, or 356 Porsche replicas. My kid loves the 32x series.

Ok... my latest build is this. And no, I am not comparing how fast it is compared to something else. 396 small block or not.

Its about what you like. Enjoy it all!

IMG_8598

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_8598

Add Reply

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.