Skip to main content

Hello - I have a 2017 Vintage Speedster that I have recently replaced the headlight Buckets due to rust. I order the buckets from VS Parts and was able to get them seated properly with the gasket evenly around distributed around both chrome rings. The problem, once I tighten the screw at the bottom of the ring  the bucket pulls forward and comes off top hinge...on both sides. Question, is there a spacer that fits in the back of the body that allows the chrome ring to be tightened without having the bucket come off the hinge? Or am I doing something incorrectly? 

*Just an FYI - the tape was used to hold the buckets in place while I drove the speedster home. Nothing scarier than driving on highway 17 and you see your headlight gaskets flapping in the wind and the direction of your lights shine downward.

Any help or ideas would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks in Advance,

David Gomez

San Jose Ca 95129

Attachments

Images (4)
  • Resized_20200717_151334
  • Resized_20200717_151341
  • Resized_20200717_151347
  • Resized_20200717_151755
Last edited by GomezInSJ
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

And if that doesn't work, at the top of the bucket and attached to the body is that "L" shaped metal tab that holds the top of the headlight assembly to the body.  (I believe you call it a "hinge".)

Look at it carefully as you tighten the screw at the bottom of the headlight trim to see if it is too close together or allows the trim to be too far from the body or if it is not fully grasping the trim at the top.  Once you see what's going on, bend the vertical part of that tab one way or the other (in or out, up or down) to see if that cures the problem.  It may need some "fine tuning".

I have used both the "T" type and "L" type rubber gasket rings and either work OK and both are a PITA but the assembly method Wolfgang mentioned should work.

Also, I just looked at mine and I have a small spacer between the body and the bottom tab of the headlight to hold it out off of the body when tightening the bottom screw.  That should prevent too much torquing of the trim ring when assembling it and tightening it.

Last edited by Gordon Nichols
@WOLFGANG posted:

IMG_1452Install headlights and tighten without the gasket.  After installed slip the gasket over chrome to fill the gap. That's how I did my CMC - the little ridge goes in the gap.

Vintage Speedsters don't typically use that type of gasket.  They use a round gasket with a slit that slips over the edge of the chrome ring.

Sounds to me like you just didn't get the chrome ring over the flange correctly.  Possibly, one of the spring clips is in the way. 

Last edited by Troy Sloan

David:  I'm not sure that the 356 headlight seal will fit properly or not.

Remember that you have a VW headlight assembly, Not a Porsche, which might have subtle differences to the 356 (which can certainly look the same except for the flutes in the glass lens).

So, the rubber gasket you want is for a 1946 - 1966 VW any model and the VW part number is 111 941 191 and those usually sell for between $6 and $15 bucks a pair for decent ones.

https://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1643

Make sure it's for the right year range, as they changed headlight style in 1967.

Good Morning,

Thanks for all the advice...I'll be taking everyone's inpit and trying to get them seated correctly this afternoon.

Troy, you mentioned the spring clips possibly being in the way? Would that be at the top of the assembly near the metal tab...or L shaped bracket? Before placing the new buckets on the speedster I made sure the clips were as close to the same position as the old buckets I had removed....but I will doble check.

Thanks Again,

David "Gomez"

San Jose, Ca. 95129

I have a 2013 VS, and it came with nylon spacers between the body and the metal tab at the bottom of the headlight trim ring (like Gordon describes above).

HeadlightSpacer

It looks like these are to keep the metal tab at the bottom from bending as you tighten the screw, but not to keep the tab at the top from popping loose.

As Gordon suggests, the bracket on the car body at the top probably needs to be fiddled with a little. If the bucket seats on that properly, it shouldn't pop loose as you tighten the screw at the bottom.

Also, as Troy notes, VS shipped a U-shaped (in cross section) rubber seal that's different from the seals I find available from VW shops. They probably sourced it from Home Depot. It grips onto the trim ring (sort of) before you put the trim ring back on (you couldn't attach it after the trim ring is back on the car). My biggest problem is always getting that seal to stay on the trim ring as I fit everything back into place.

A final note: It could be just on my car, but I've never been able to adjust the headlight position with the adjuster screws once the buckets are back on the car. The buckets wedge in too tight against the fiberglass behind them. So, I put the headlights in, point them at a wall and turn them on, guess at how far off they are, take them out again and guess at how much to reposition them, put them back in, rinse and repeat. It never takes more than a half hour to adjust the headlights this way.

Good luck!

Attachments

Images (1)
  • HeadlightSpacer
@GomezInSJ posted:

Good Morning,

Thanks for all the advice...I'll be taking everyone's inpit and trying to get them seated correctly this afternoon.

Troy, you mentioned the spring clips possibly being in the way? Would that be at the top of the assembly near the metal tab...or L shaped bracket? Before placing the new buckets on the speedster I made sure the clips were as close to the same position as the old buckets I had removed....but I will doble check.

Thanks Again,

David "Gomez"

San Jose, Ca. 95129

Yes, the clips that hold the lens housing in the ring.  Coincidentally, I replaced both headlights on a Speedster I have today.  The first one popped off the flange that the headlight hangs from as I was tightening the bolt at the bottom.  I just needed to be sure it was firmly hooked on to the flange and I held a little downward pressure on the top of the ring as I screwed in the bolt.  No problem now. 

Thank you all for the advice, thoughts and input. I don't think I'm going to have time today to tinker with the lights. I was able to head out to lowes and purchase a spacer similar to the one Sactomitch shows in his pic. I'll be sure and post some pics as I begin to work on the buckets. 

Carlos, any advice on where the clips would create issues with seating properly?

Thanks,

David "Gomez"

San Jose, Ca 95129

Back in November I worked on my headlights to replace the rubber gaskets around the glass lenses (those are also a bitch to get them to stay on). If I remember correctly the black gasket is U shaped and bites into the chrome ring. At least that's how it looks in one of my photos. See if that helps. Let us know. I love your car's color; it's killer.6be2534f-e008-4ff2-9616-636ffb3d7fd8e6ffaa2e-76d9-46c0-a642-a242379cd2af

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 6be2534f-e008-4ff2-9616-636ffb3d7fd8
  • e6ffaa2e-76d9-46c0-a642-a242379cd2af
Last edited by Impala

Thanks everyone for the advice and input. I have ordered a few different types of gaskets from various sources and will be giving each one a shot until I find a pair that work. In the mean time I am riding around raw dog with no gaskets. I will confess I am using a 3m body shield cut to fit around the area as not to scratch the paint. The buckets fit and seat nicely. 

Stay tuned!

David "Gomez"

San Jose, Ca 95129

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 20200727_214228

Impala would be correct, the metal frames were pretty rusty. Not to mention the inside of the sealed beam housing being rusted as well. I'm assuming this occurs from regular washing and a build up of condensation. I'll post a few pics of the housing and rust when I get a chance.

Today I was able to install the rubber floor mat, front and back....I think it came out pretty good.

I should be getting a few gaskets in tomorrow, so hope all goes well with the gasket install.

GomezInSJ

San Jose. Ca. 95129

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 20200730_195752
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.