Skip to main content

Ryan, current plan is to do the drive from Auburn to the winery, drink wine, and then head home.

Car is currently hung up, waiting for some parts to cure an axle seal leak, but should be good to go in time.

Your route up is something like the route I led three years ago (before you joined the group, I think). We went Placerville - Pollock Pines - Mormon Emigrant Trail - 88 - 89. We were slowed a bit on 88 with some construction stops and then Terry Nuckels had to show off his one-arm-tied-behind-the-back roadside clutch cable change, but it just made the challenge of reaching Tahoe under the power of a lawnmower engine all the more rewarding.

Cheers!

Sacto Mitch posted:

Ryan, current plan is to do the drive from Auburn to the winery, drink wine, and then head home.

Car is currently hung up, waiting for some parts to cure an axle seal leak, but should be good to go in time.

Your route up is something like the route I led three years ago (before you joined the group, I think). We went Placerville - Pollock Pines - Mormon Emigrant Trail - 88 - 89. We were slowed a bit on 88 with some construction stops and then Terry Nuckels had to show off his one-arm-tied-behind-the-back roadside clutch cable change, but it just made the challenge of reaching Tahoe under the power of a lawnmower engine all the more rewarding.

Cheers!

Uh, you forgot to mentioned that I did it with my prosthetic hand while tying my shoe.

Sacto Mitch posted:

Cheers!

Mitch, I keep two spare axle seal kits at home, cause when you need one, you need one!

A few details were added to the Official Event Page for Tour d'Hoe 2018.

I'll recap them here too:

1. Download Offline Maps — Here's how on Android or iPhone & iPad. There are a lot of dead spots on our route this year.

2. Wine Tasting is free if we buy enough wine — and you should, because it's tasty. Otherwise count on $5-10 per person.

3. Lunch — Kit Carson Lodge only serves soup & salad bar this time of year for lunch. If you'd like something more substantial, you should pack a lunch. We can eat at the campground, overlooking the lake.

4. Weather forecast calls for zero precipitation. No hail this year!

Tour d'Hoe route maps printed! Please remember to fuel up before the start and to bring a picnic lunch — we won't be stopping for fuel and food prior to the start like previous years. Our 10ga tanks should be enough to make it each day, but I marked midway fuel just in case.

All roads are open, but I'll be checking conditions to see if we need to make alternative plans. There are a few spots where there is controlled 1-way traffic due to road maintenance.

See the Official Event Page for Tour d'Hoe 2018 for up to date information.

Last edited by Ryan (formerly) in NorCal

Early reports from the 2018 Tour D'Hoe are favorable.

Perfect weather, a great turnout, with Ryan setting a blistering pace and herding cats with aplomb.

Ryan was wheeling his Speedster with one hand, signaling turns with another, and snapping photos on the go, too. He also had his drone airborne, so expect film at eleven.

First pit stop at a hilltop Amador County winery:

Hoe_01

Hoe_02

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Hoe_01
  • Hoe_02

@calmotion , I've always thought the best road is the one that leads to a winery, so we ended our cruise in Amador on Saturday.

Besides, after chasing Terry Nuckels through the twisties all morning, my tires were mostly bald at that point, anyway. You can read all about it in Terry's next book, which is due out soon: IRS Is Not A Four-Letter Word.

By the way, the progressive, left-coast wing of the SOC may have developed the next great thing in Speedster cruises - the 'roll-your-own' cruise. Stay as long as you and your right-seater like. Peel off when you want. Extra days and extra miles for those who so desire. A one-size-fits-all cruise.

If the Donner party had taken that sensible approach, no one would have had to guess who's coming to dinner.

Add Reply

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.