Skip to main content

First of all, I doubt any of us will be slipping off solo like VFR Phil did years ago. Never go into the woods alone.

We have a standalone GPS for the Spyder plus a smartphone GPS. The standalone will get a map update the day before we leave.

We are also taking a week off. Two days down, two back, plus the 3 day drive, and maybe an extra day to visit Michelle's grandaughter in NC.

Carlos, I'm with Stan. BRING IT!

I suddenly have this recollection of one of our trips from South Carolina to the relative normalcy of Massachusetts, and leaving the West Virginia motel at 6am to get fuel for the tow-pickup for the rest of the day's trip.  Kathy and the dogs are back at the motel, waiting for me to return to get back on the final day of our trip of hauling Pearl between her two homes.

I'm sitting at the service station just up the street from the motel and fueling my truck, slight chill with fog in the air and a whiff of sulfur from the local coal mines.  The car hauler behind with "Pearl" sitting on top and the truck almost topped off, when this Pickup truck, West Virginia plates, slightly battered, fluttering exhaust note from a worn-out muffler, with a nice patina of surface rust and two women inside who, between the two of them maybe have a total of 9 teeth and a slightly disheveled look like they've been up and busy all night.  

They enter the gas station from the road and circle the pump island, slowly, checking out this strange truck, trailer and sports car sitting there in the mist.  As their pickup rumbles past, the passenger leans way out of her window and yells, "Hey!  Ah really luv yo cahr.....!"  

And I replied, "Hey!  Thank YU Honey!"

I mean, what else you gonna say to two young, West Virginia beauties like that??

Got fueled up in record time and bugged out back to the motel, loaded the dogs and wife and got the hell outa there!

Gordon Nichols posted:

I suddenly have this recollection of...and two women inside who, between the two of them maybe have a total of 9 teeth and a slightly disheveled look like they've been up and busy all night.  

They enter the gas station from the road and circle the pump island, slowly, checking out this strange truck, trailer and sports car sitting there in the mist.  As their pickup rumbles past, the passenger leans way out of her window and yells, "Hey!  Ah really luv yo cahr.....!"  

And I replied, "Hey!  Thank YU Honey!"

I mean, what else you gonna say to two young, West Virginia beauties like that??

Got fueled up in record time and bugged out back to the motel, loaded the dogs and wife and got the hell outa there!

You realize that with a fancy car like that on the trailer and a nice pickup they were checking you out as possible  breeding material, gordon- you're lucky you're short or you would have never been seen again.

I’ve had Maggie Valley weather on my phone since last year‘s tour. I’ve been waiting all summer for the persistent rain pattern to break  (as persistent weather patterns always eventually do).

I’ve got no idea what’s actually occurring on the ground, but my phone reports rain (or thunderstorms) every day. That’s not an exaggeration, that’s the forecast for every single day since May. There are two days in the next 10 with no forcasted rain.

That’s a lot of rain. 

Your right Stan, every damn day. Actually, this weekend, looks nice.

Transylvania county is at about 30" of rain above normal so far. We normally get about 66" per year. We're past that point now. Just West of us in Highlands, they've got 77" so far. This might be a record breaking year. They're saying we might hit 100" by the end of the year.

It ain't no fun driving a light topless car in a torrential rain. That's the way we've been getting it too. No light drizzle here.

Mmmm, I think I see a new kayak in my near future...…………...

Last edited by Carlos G

Yeah, but the raininess usually tapers off in September to really nice weather for the rest of the year, doesn’t it?  Or did it just change because we arrived down there?

Just got back from a few days up in New Hampsire “lake country” and then the Maine coast.  We were coming south from North Conway where we watched the start of the Mount Washington bicycle hillclimb (No, there is no way in Hell that I am gonna do that race...) and headed to Tamworth, NH, to see a Summer Stock play and got on NH RT 113 headed west.  It’s not the TOD, for sure, but is a roller coaster ride for mile after mile at 50 - 60MPH and for the hour we spent on it, NO COPS!  We were in my Rogue but it was one helluva lotta fun!  In fact, it was SO good (and we were a bit early for the show) that we went about 20 minutes past the playhouse and then came back!

At the B&B that night, a few Bikers arrived, the kind who are professional people who ride Harleys, and I asked where they were from to find that they lived in Rutland, VT, and wanted to take the slow way home so I told them about RT 113 west.

I really hope they took it. I would love to get Pearl up there  to do a BIG loop round northern New England.  2 days, 4 states, Infinite smiles.........

Last edited by Gordon Nichols

My drive is 8.5 hrs - I65 to I85 thru Atlanta.  Wife won't sit in cramped MX-5 for that long so dictates an overnight.  6 hrs puts me just around Atlanta.  Looked at stopping at Calloway Gardens but it leaves another 4.5 hrs the next day.  Helen GA (a pseudo-Bavarian Village in mountains of GA ) is about 2.5 hrs from Maggy Valley plus Octoberfest starts 14 Sep.  There are also a few Dahlonega wineries en route - anyone familiar with any of them that could make a recommendation on which one and a B&B near it?  Or another stopover idea (we have been to Stone Mountain but could visit it again). 

We were going to do Biltmore and dinner/lunch at Sierra Nevada Brewery on Thursday since she won't do another all day drive the first day.  I'd be up for dinner with Jack - and am flexible.

To the best of my knowledge we have:

• Me (SC)
  • Piet Van Rossum (not staying at hotel) (NC)
  • Cory and Jeni Drake (MD)
  • Danny Piperato and Michelle Parisi (NY)
  • Stan and Jeannie Galat (IL)
  • Tom Boney (IL)
  • Ron and Maddie Mullis (GA)
  • Phil Luebbert (sp?) (and?) (VA)
  • Carlos G-something (I forget ) (NC)
  • Bob Carley (and?) (ONT CA)
  • John Hallstrand (and Sarah?) (TN)
  • Jack and Alice Crosby (AR)
  • Greg (Wolfgang) Seitz (and?) (FL)
  • Marty and Sandy Grzynjhfdsglwiuerytoieuhfahfglakjehwicz (tentative) (IL)
  • Dianne Croxford and Michael Warjas (FL)
  • Joe Fortino (and?) (IL)
  • Michael and Jian Ping McKelvey (MI)

Please chime in here if you're coming and I left you out, or if I mistakenly included you.

Hey!  It looks like Illinois is the winner of the "Most Attendees" award.

Last edited by Lane Anderson

Add Reply

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.