Skip to main content

8DF534A6-7600-4DB6-8A14-0F74BB34292FHere is a picture of my cruise control. 370 ft-lbs of torque. 

I think we will need to find out how many folks will have the Dragon/Cherohala on thier bucket list. If some people aren’t arriving until Thursday we might need to change the day. Maggie Valley is 2 hours to the loop. It’s still a beautiful drive but much of the day is just spent driving to and from the loop. Last year we tried to start by 8am and I think we made it out by 830. But to beat the crowds we will need to leave early. Some folks may not arrive until later in the day. I actually love the Dragon/Cherohala loop. I’m happy to go again on Friday or Saturday if people miss it on Thursday. I think it’s the bomb. And my spyder can’t wait to hit those curves. 🐉

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 8DF534A6-7600-4DB6-8A14-0F74BB34292F

The "loop" could move to Friday but the closer it is to mid-week, the lower the traffic.  Based on last year's experience we also shouldn't do the BRP cruise on a Saturday for the same reason.  The Rattler seemed to have less traffic (and was the most fun IMHO), so it should stay on Saturday.  The BRP cruise is most definitely the most scenic.  I'll let y'all decide as I am fine either way.

Lane,

Leave it like it is. ToD Thursday, BRP Friday, Rattler Saturday.

I suggest we leave before 9:00 on Thursday, drive to the ToD, regroup at the gas station/store, run the dragon, and regroup on the other side. At that point, those that would like to go on with Phil to complete the awesome (but long) loop can continue, and those that would like more "campfire time" can turn around and run the dragon the opposite direction. As Phil said, getting to the ToD from the Maggie Valley takes a couple of hours, so a round-trip is 4 hrs. Throw in an hour or so (each way, with the stops at the gas station/store) doing the ToD, and that's 6 hrs in the car.

I loved Phil's "loop", but some people would probably appreciate calling it a day after 6 hrs or so. Splitting the group at about the half-way mark seems like a good idea.

I agree with you Lane-- I wasn't going to drive all the way to NC and not do the ToD, but for my money, the BPR and Rattler were at least as fun, closer, and a lot less crowded. OTOH, there are photographers stationed along the ToD, snapping shots of every car, and selling them for a few bucks online. I bought two of the best shots of my car that will ever be taken. I would have hated to miss that. I'd love to run that one backwards.

If you're looking for somebody to lead the Rattler run, I'll happily do it. I could drive that road all day, every day and never ever get tired of it.

Last edited by Stan Galat
Stan Galat posted:

Lane,

Leave it like it is. ToD Thursday, BRP Friday, Rattler Saturday.

I suggest we leave before 9:00 on Thursday, drive to the ToD, regroup at the gas station/store, run the dragon, and regroup on the other side. At that point, those that would like to go on with Phil to complete the awesome (but long) loop can continue, and those that would like more "campfire time" can turn around and run the dragon the opposite direction. As Phil said, getting to the ToD from the Maggie Valley takes a couple of hours, so a round-trip is 4 hrs. Throw in an hour or so (each way, with the stops at the gas station/store) doing the ToD, and that's 6 hrs in the car.

I loved Phil's "loop", but some people would probably appreciate calling it a day after 6 hrs or so. Splitting the group at about the half-way mark seems like a good idea.

I agree with you Lane-- I wasn't going to drive all the way to NC and not do the ToD, but for my money, the BPR and Rattler were at least as fun, closer, and a lot less crowded. OTOH, there are photographers stationed along the ToD, snapping shots of every car, and selling them for a few bucks online. I bought two of the best shots of my car that will ever be taken. I would have hated to miss that. I'd love to run that one backwards.

If you're looking for somebody to lead the Rattler run, I'll happily do it. I could drive that road all day, every day and never ever get tired of it.

This. Exactly. 

Well, I am starting to feel a little better about missing Carlisle this year.  It looks like the Tour de Smo' is going to be a great time:  good roads, good people, beautiful scenery.

After a two drive down from home to Nag's Head, and a few days on the Outer Banks, a trip across the state is something we have talked about doing for the past few years, and now we have a great excuse for doing so.  Asheville has always intrigued me, and that will be a stop on the way to Maggie Valley.

A different route on the way back to Canada will top off a great trip.  

And of course, the chance to meet - in person - people we haven't met before, and to see old friends once again is the bonus.

These cars are great, but it's the owners that make it all worthwhile. 

Yup.  No one is going to drive for hours/days to get to Deals Gap and not do the Dragon.  Of course we have to stop at the souvenir shop at the start of the Dragon.  At the end of the Dragon we'll stop along the river like we did last year.  Those that want to do the Cherohala can venture on.  Those that want to return to the hotel can do the Dragon backwards.  We actually missed one of the best parts of the Cherohala last year, stopping at the top.  The view is tremendous.  

I love to socialize.  And this is shaping up to be a great group of folks.  But honestly for me if I'm in a place that has some of the best roads in the world driving one of the best cars in the world, I want to drive.  

550 Phil posted:

Yup.  No one is going to drive for hours/days to get to Deals Gap and not do the Dragon.  Of course we have to stop at the souvenir shop at the start of the Dragon.  At the end of the Dragon we'll stop along the river like we did last year.  Those that want to do the Cherohala can venture on.  Those that want to return to the hotel can do the Dragon backwards.  We actually missed one of the best parts of the Cherohala last year, stopping at the top.  The view is tremendous.  

I love to socialize.  And this is shaping up to be a great group of folks.  But honestly for me if I'm in a place that has some of the best roads in the world driving one of the best cars in the world, I want to drive.  

I hear ya, Phil!  That is one of the reasons why we added more seat time to the Carlisle event this year.  However, we made it so that anyone who wants to - or needs to - opt out can do so at logical intervals.  That way everyone can get what they want. 

I loved the loop, but my legs and back just can’t stay in that little car for but so long... no matter how much my heart wants them to do so.  

Stan Galat posted:

The loop was great, except for the "shell the idler pulley" part, which thankfully came at the end of the day.

Honestly Stan the day would have not been complete without that stop.  And the spring from a fountain pen used to fix Lane's car.  Those are the things that make it a real "car" day.  And the stop to view the old Mercedes restorations.  Priceless.

So the day we do the Dragon/Cherohala loop one group will do the entire loop (about 8 hours with stops)  and the other group will go west through the Dragon and then head back east through the Dragon and then back to the hotel (about 6 hours with stops).  I will lead the group doing the loop.  Someone in the 6 hour group needs to be the leader on the return trip, that is, they need to have a GPS and some idea about where to stop for lunch.  Lane?

BTW even if my wife accompanies me on my trip she will not ride in my spyder.  Hair thing???  I don't know.  So, if someone needs a seat for the loop, one is open.

I'd like to get a roll-call of who has signed up for this.  I believe that we also have:

• Me
  • Piet Van Rossum (not staying at hotel)
  • Cory and Jeni Drake
  • Danny Piperato and Michelle Parisi
  • Stan and Jeannie Galat
  • Tom Boney
  • Ron and Maddie Mullis
  • Phil Luebert (sp?) and?
  • Carlos G-something (I forget )
  • Bob Carley
  • John Hallstrand (and Sarah?)
  • Jack and Alice Crosby
  • Alan and Connie Merklin
  • Greg (Wolfgang) Seitz
  • Marty and Sandy Grzynjhfdsglwiuerytoieuhfahfglakjehwicz (tentative)
  • a number of others that I don't remember off the top of my bald head have expressed some level of interest

Please chime in here if you're coming and I left you out, or if I mistakenly included you.

Last edited by Lane Anderson

Just to chime in, all late and everything: have room reserved Wed-Sun. My plan for the 500+ miles one way is like Carlisle: flat tow.  Or maybe rent a truck??  Love all the tours, and agree on the proposed order.  Will be lots of miles/hours in the seat, and many may not be able to swallow it all, me included.  will require some clear alternatives and break-out points to beat feet back to the fire-pit and well aged spirits.  Just sayin' . . .

Jeni: the heart is so willing, and the legs/backs/butts/bladders/whatevers will often pull out the ace of trumps, and crush the will to go on.  So there is a POR sort of thing going on . . .  press on regardless . . .

Kelly, I certainly understand the desire NOT to drive the whole way in the Speedster, having wimped out of my 750 mile (each way) trip myself a couple of times now, but you might find that you enjoy it - at least the first time or two.  You and I will never challenge the hard core guys like Jack and Stan, but I have faith in you!

Or you could just flat tow 😬

Last edited by Lane Anderson
El Frazoo posted:

Just to chime in, all late and everything: have room reserved Wed-Sun. My plan for the 500+ miles one way is like Carlisle: flat tow.  Or maybe rent a truck??  Love all the tours, and agree on the proposed order.  Will be lots of miles/hours in the seat, and many may not be able to swallow it all, me included.  will require some clear alternatives and break-out points to beat feet back to the fire-pit and well aged spirits.  Just sayin' . . .

Jeni: the heart is so willing, and the legs/backs/butts/bladders/whatevers will often pull out the ace of trumps, and crush the will to go on.  So there is a POR sort of thing going on . . .  press on regardless . . .

Kelly, at 52, I have no problem listening to my “Niki Lauda Ass” and turning around when it says it is time to go. 😉

Last edited by Jeni Drake
Carlos G posted:

Hopefully we're getting our rain quota for the year now and it'll be dry for this event.

This month we've had almost 14 inches of rain, average is 3.5.

For the year it's at 31 inches, average is 18.

Just saying.

Carlos send some our way (Calif.).   Our water district has just reduced, again, our allowable quantity.  My wife and I are sometimes  over the amount, and pay a fine.  We have virtually no landscaping.  House is on a 60 degree side of a mountain.

Coming up from NW FL - 540 miles and 9 hours.  Wife demands we spend nite on the way - looking at spending night in a Helen, GA.  Visited once before - its a pretty authenic Bavarian German Villiage.  Good German bier and gutten food!  90 miles south of Maggie Valley.  Would be a hoot to have 15 Speedsters in town!  Kind of a Disneyland for Germans!

Image result for helen ga

Image result for helen gaImage result for helen ga

Attachments

Images (1)
  • blobid0
WOLFGANG posted:

Coming up from NW FL - 540 miles and 9 hours.  Wife demands we spend nite on the way - looking at spending night in a Helen, GA.  Visited once before - its a pretty authenic Bavarian German Villiage.  Good German bier and gutten food!  90 miles south of Maggie Valley.  Would be a hoot to have 15 Speedsters in town!  Kind of a Disneyland for Germans!

That could totally be the fall tour for 2019!

@Art I wish I could. Where one place is flooding another is burning. We've got water coming out of the ground everywhere here, even when we have a dry spell. Our well water is fantastic. I can't even drink bottled water anymore. It tastes like something.

Daniel Falls 0618 s

Here is one of many water features that I saw during one of my mountain bike rides last week. It's so green and lush here in the Summer, it's gets claustrophobic.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Daniel Falls 0618 s
1A06243F-1AA3-4734-8D9C-77CF2A86FFEE02B47C9B-EAE1-476F-839A-5C79F95207F04BF6B148-313F-4E59-94A7-471519A05232Jeni Drake posted:
WOLFGANG posted:

That could totally be the fall tour for 2019!

Most people don’t realize that the southern tip of the smokies are in Georgia. I’ve been to Helen a couple of time. Cool town and great roads.  But it’s no Deals Gap. 

Attachments

Images (3)
  • 1A06243F-1AA3-4734-8D9C-77CF2A86FFEE
  • 02B47C9B-EAE1-476F-839A-5C79F95207F0
  • 4BF6B148-313F-4E59-94A7-471519A05232
Last edited by 550 Phil

Add Reply

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.