Skip to main content

Marty Grzynkowicz posted:

We are also in for the food events.  Sandy and me are in the luxury jacuzzi sweet.  So, I may cut out after Lola's, 

Joe had it booked for him and Tom but had them bumped to a standard room.  

Creekside

Well... Cory booked a jacuzzi suite for us too!  I hope they have more than one otherwise it might get cozy in there!!  😳😂

Folks, there is a 50/50 chance that I will have to cancel my attendance at this event.  Given Pam's mother's stroke last week and her need to be up there we will have to work out some sort of schedule mainly because of the dogs.  I am probably going to have to go to DC on business the week after, and I can't see putting the dogs in the kennel for a week and a half.  Hopefully I can figure something out as I've been looking forward to this for a while.  Schlitz happens...

Other than reducing the amount of comic relief, this shouldn't affect the good time you're all going to have.

Last edited by Lane Anderson

I'm going to stay optimistic that Lane will make it to the Smokies.  But just to keep things covered.  Who was going to lead the Rattler drive?  Lane?  Stan?  Carlos?  I've never done it.  I do however have a programmable GPS and can probably manage.  But it would be better to have a tour guide who has done it before.  Since it is a one road trip it should be the easiest route.  Stan if you lead then no one can slow you down.  But of course the rest of us will have to keep up  

Last edited by 550 Phil

This coming Friday we had house guests coming from Wilmington, NC and they just called to say that the latest estimate is that brunt of the storm will hit Wilmington rather then S.C and Charlestion and he is planning to start boarding up windows very soon and will postpone his trip to visit us.  there is a good chance that Lane will get only some rain and will be  joining us.

We probably won't know anything for certain until landfall so we'll have to wait and see.  Lane, don't cancel your  Creekside room until we really know what will happen.

Last edited by Jack Crosby

David, my potential absence wouldn't be due to Florence, but instead due to issues related to my mother-in-law's stroke.  I am hopeful that I can work something out, but if Pam's out of town and I have business travel the following week, I'm not comfortable with the dogs being in a kennel that long.  I still have my fingers crossed that things will line up in my favor.

EDIT: Besides, President Stan says I will be there.

"They are just dogs, and probably don't care.  Doggy camp -- they would probably enjoy socializing . . ."

These are dachshunds that, at least in my view, haven't been adequately socialized.  And if we evacuate we sure as heck aren't leaving them behind in Charleston.

"somewhat slower?  What means somewhat??  Seems I recall a neat red Speedster with matching red wheels trying hard to put the back end front-wise on the Rattler one time.  Just sayin' . . . And aren't you they guy who races his Bimmer??"

Stan would have been considerably faster through that turn, and probably not semi-sideways.    As for racing the Bimmer, nope.  I just do track days with it, a very (ok, maybe slightly) different thing.  

Besides, I can drive more slowly if that what people want. 

El Frazoo posted:

somewhat slower?  What means somewhat?? 

For the first time in two years, my car is running perfectly. It wasn’t last year. I’m excited for the chance to drive these roads again.

The thing that makes “the rattler” perfect is that once we are on it, there are no turns. It would be very hard to lose anybody. One may drive as briskly or slowly as one desires, because we are all ending up in the same place.

Last edited by Stan Galat

Leon, I had a very small but persistent vacuum leak and a problem with an idle circuit, both of which I finally hunted down yesterday/last night. I doubt either issue effected the rate of our progress up to Hot Springs last year, however, as that road is laid out perfectly for a short wheelbase sports car. I don’t think an extra 100 horse power would effect anything in any meaningful manner. The trip up and back was pretty brisk, and your enjoyment of it was priceless.

I sincerely hope we get the opportunity to get you in the right seat again. Let’s give that pacemaker a test.

Last edited by Stan Galat

Hoping someone local can check out the condition of the proposed roads to be driven  say on Sunday or Monday of next week and report to all if roads still call for a GO.  With Florence, it looks like a lot of rain expect which causes rock slides, road wash out and sand/gravel on roads.  I plan to head North on Wednesday 26th - think others on Tuesday 25th or earlier.  Hate to see event canceled but not worth doing damage to cars.  

Hurricane Florence Will Slow Down, Hammer Carolinas and Appalachia for Days with Catastrophic Flooding, Destructive Winds

Destructive Hurricane Florence to batter the Carolinas for days

Last edited by WOLFGANG
Lane Anderson posted:

You mean Wednesday of the week after next, right?  Remember, we’re still nearly two weeks out.

We are.

The hurricane has yet to make landfall. We’ll see where it hits, and what it does afterward.

I think Pete and Carlos will have a good feel for if this is doable once Florence peters out inland of wherever it hits.

We’ll know in a week or so. 

A little gravel here and there is normal around here. There are a lot of gravel driveways and roads that exit onto the paved roads.

If your skeerd of a little gravel, you might as well stay home, at least on Saturday.

There is one short section on our route that is having some work done that I need to check out before hand. I will not usually drive my car down any length of gravel, but if I do, I take it real slow. ****, part of the road to my house and my driveway are gravel.

Any trees down from the storm will be long gone by then, especially if it can be burnt for heat. It's funny how downed Pine and Poplar trees stay on the side of the road until they rot, but Oak disappears. This also goes for dead deer, bears and pigs.

ALL - PLEASE READ

Mike McKelvey has signed up to produce an email list of everybody's cellphones so that we can all get/stay in touch during the cruises in a couple of weeks, but only 9 folks have responded so far.  Please send your info to Mike so that he can put this together as it will be helpful to us all.  if you'd rather not share your cellphone number, at least let him know.

We now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Add Reply

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.