Skip to main content

Same here---we are all set to launch Tuesday morning.  Rather than drive the whole thing Wednesday we'll stop overnight near Nashville for a 450 mile day then finish the remaining 250 miles Wednesday.  I am sure we will have some gorgeous weather during our event no matter what the forecast says.  Alice and I are really looking forward to seeing everyone and the fabulous cruises.  I believe the only scenic routes that come close to these Smoky Mountains  ones are parts of the 101 on the left coast.  We cannot wait!  I don't want to see any  bailing out snowflakes either!  Even Lane has surmounted his three--count 'em, 3--- excuses, and will definitely join us.   Good man, Lane!

See ya'll soon!

IaM-Ray posted:

If you guys dont bring your cars how can you enjoy driving those roads  

Amen.

I’ve got three trailers, all of them capable of carrying a Speedster. I realize I’m just grouchy old man, but I spend enough of my life wheeling a work van and trailer, or slogging along in the minivan. I’m not going to do it on vacation.

Stan Galat posted:
IaM-Ray posted:

If you guys dont bring your cars how can you enjoy driving those roads  

Amen.

I’ve got three trailers, all of them capable of carrying a Speedster. I realize I’m just grouchy old man, but I spend enough of my life wheeling a work van and trailer, or slogging along in the minivan. I’m not going to do it on vacation.

Stan---I definitely share your sentiment about driving the car rather than trailering it. .  Three  years ago at Carlisle I saw a sports car---don't remember the make--but there was a plaque on the dash that said, "If you see this car on a trailer, call the cops because it has been stolen"!  Same for me.

This area is a Temperate Rain Forest and this year has been above normal. Two years ago, we had drought and fires. Go figure.

If it's calling for rain on Saturday for sure, I'll be there, but not in my Spyder. Driving in the rain in a light weight car with no roof kinda sucks. I'll see if I can borrow something worthy from a friends collection.

If there is just a chance of rain, then I'll drive the Spyder.

Even if it pours, I still want to come and get to know you guys. We could take the band to some brewery, restaurant or whatever to hang out.

The last few days it's been great around here, weather wise. I go to warm the Spyder up so I can tweak on the carbs some, and nothing. The battery was dead, and I even had it on a tender. It's had been acting up the last few rides. So I ordered a new one. I've got one of those silly small Mega Crank batteries in it, and didn't feel like pulling it out and dragging it to the FLAPS to try and find something that'll fit. I crashed on my mountain bike last Friday and my ribs are a bit tender.  Bending over or doing any torso exertion is not fun.

I even made some maps that I need to get printed.

We'll see.

FYI, we have a topless Spyder. We will drive it while we're down there even if it means getting rained on. Nothing I haven't done before.

We're dragging it behind us all the way. It's an 11 hour trip, that's the actual driving part. We're leaving Tueday and driving until exhaustion, but hoping to make Christiansburg VA.

The remainder of the trip we'll do on Wednesday, hoping to arrive early afternoon. The second day should be easier.It's much shorter. I feel better about breaking the trip up. We've done a straight one day run from home to Hickory, NC before. Not a fun day, towing a box trailer.

What is the hotel y'all usually stay at right off I-81?

Danny---Trip Adviser is a great site for locating motels---plus showing the best rates.  Go to T.A. and select hotels and put in the town nearest to where you would likely stay that evening and it will give you some choices.  Also it will show where restaurants are near there too.  You are an inspiration to many wanna be road warriors! 

Hey guys, I am sorry to say I have to bail. I need to be in the office (SantaMonica) next week. I thought I had all of my planning meetings sorted but this one popped up. Trust me I would rather be dodging rain, smoking cigars and catching up with friends then flying across the county. Notice I didn't mention the naked fire dancing.

I will be watching with a green eye of jealously.

DannyP posted:
Stan Galat posted:
Jack Crosby posted:

You are an inspiration to many wanna be road warriors! 

Pssst. Reread his post, Jack. He's trailering it.

Almost. Flat-towing, but yeah. We will drive almost everywhere once we fabricate a new top. To interstate down to NC topless would be tiresome at best.

Yes he is, but an 11 hour drive of over 700 miles still qualifies as a Road Warrior.   Same for you, Stan as I bet you are coming from at least the same distance.  Be safe!

Someone asked the best way to get to Maggie Valley going East on I-40.  (I can't locate that post.)   40- or 50 miles West of Asheville, NC you would turn South on Highway 276 for few miles to Dellwood, NC where you turn right onto hwy 19 for the short drive to Maggie Valley.  There will be signs along the way.   This is the most direct and quickest route from I-40 to Maggie Valley.

Jack, thanks. That's a real compliment coming from "Iron Pants"!

550 Phil posted:

I know I suggested this last year.  Danny and anyone else coming down 81 should consider stopping in Marion VA and drive the Back of the Dragon.  Goes from Marion VA to Tazwell WV. 

ClawOfTheDragon_Map

Great road and lots more great mountain cruises around there.  Not a bad place for a get together.

Phil, this is near enough to Christiansburg, where we plan to stop Tuesday night. The area would make it a one (long) day trip for us on a future trip, whether we live in the North, or in about 5 years, North Carolina. That would be a REALLY close trip, only a few hours.

You give it a name and they will come.  The "Back of the Dragon" is becoming a big destination cruise for bikers and car enthusiasts.  Good thing is, like the Smokies, there are plenty of other roads less traveled.  The "Back of the Dragon" is much like the Dragon but a little bit longer and has some less challenging stretches where you can relax a bit.  Other drives have rolling hills and country side.  Its a beautiful area.  Just no large metropolitan area near buy like Asheville.    Its NOT as nice as the Smokies, just different.  But in my opinion still pretty awesome.  Maybe people from up north could also take in historic site along the way like Monticello and Montpelier.  Charlottesville is just as nice as Asheville IMHO. 

I'm not going to name anything. I don't want any more people to come here. I want it all to my self. 

In the last few years, I've seen a dramatic increase in tourism around here. Trails wrecked where asshats are riding them when they shouldn't, traffic in areas that never had it, and people driving 20mph because they've never seen trees or curves before that won't use the turnouts to let someone pass. Yes, it's good for the economy, but at what cost. That laid back small town next to pristine forests is no more. Where's my gun? 

Last edited by Carlos G

I've decided not to bring my spyder to the smokies.  Weather Thursday and Friday still 60% chance for rain.  Pouring in Charlottesville now.  I'm not towing my new spyder through the rain just to drive in the rain.  I will be in Asheville Tues-Sat.  Hope to see folks on Thursday night in Asheville.  I will not be leading the Dragon run on Friday.  Sorry.  I told myself that if the chance of rain for Thursday or Friday was 50% or less this afternoon then I would load the car in the rain.  Looks like its going to be wet.  

Add Reply

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.