Skip to main content

I just left the hotel and the group rate is under “SOC”. 

The 2019 West Coast gathering will be June 7th, 8th, and 9th.

The host hotel is:

Quality Suites San Luis Obispo
1631 Monterey St., San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Hotel 805-541-5001
www.qualitysuitesslo.com

25 rooms at the rate of $229.00 have been secured for us for this event. You must call and reserve your room before April 29th, 2019. After that there is no guarantee you'll get a room. When you are booking your room tell them it is for the SOC.  If you call after that date let them know you're with the group and you MIGHT still get the price but is based on availability so book early.  If you book and need to cancel later on post it here first and maybe you can transfer the room to someone else.

There is no obligation to stay at the host hotel, it just makes it easier to socialize, mix, mingle, party, drink or whatever it is you want to do, and keep track of who is attending. If you want to stay somewhere else that's fine just make sure you make it there Friday evening to pick up your cruise packets with lunch and dinner tickets, t-shirts, cruise maps, and etc.

I'll be posting more information later regarding t-shirts, Saturday lunch, and the Saturday night dinner.

As always if you'd like to bring an item for the raffle it'd be greatly appreciated.

Robert M posted:

The host hotel is:

Hotel 805-541-5001
www.qualitysuitesslo.com

25 rooms at the rate of $229.00 have been secured for us for this event. You must call and reserve your room before April 29th, 2019. After that there is no guarantee you'll get a room. When you are booking your room tell them it is for the SOC.  If you call after that date let them know you're with the group and you MIGHT still get the price but is based on availability so book early.  If you book and need to cancel later on post it here first and maybe you can transfer the room to someone else.

There is no obligation to stay at the host hotel, it just makes it easier to socialize, mix, mingle, party, drink or whatever it is you want to do, and keep track of who is attending. If you want to stay somewhere else that's fine just make sure you make it there Friday evening to pick up your cruise packets with lunch and dinner tickets, t-shirts, cruise maps, and etc.

I'll be posting more information later regarding t-shirts, Saturday lunch, and the Saturday night dinner.

As always if you'd like to bring an item for the raffle it'd be greatly appreciated.

Bump

Robert M posted:
Robert M posted:

The host hotel is:

Hotel 805-541-5001
www.qualitysuitesslo.com

Bump

Bump

I, too, will be attending this year's soiree...so put me in the lineup. However, like last year, being the old retired guy on a fixed income, I'll be racking up the street at the University Inn @ almost half the price ($129/nt.).  We should have another exceptional weekend - especially the NorCal PCH caravan - just keep chanting the mantra: "No Slides...Open Road, No Slides...Open Road, No Slides...Open Road." Someone might want to kill a chicken or two, though, for good luck in that regard! 

Last edited by Napa Paul
Terry Nuckels posted:

We've been doing it at this hotel since 2013 at least. Before that we were at Morro Bay for a few years and Paso Robles before that.

All of these events were light years ahead of the original meets at Knotts Berry Farm starting in 2004...

John Leader Alfenito and Bruce Williams did the first one.

I was at '05 at Knotts. 

It was a weird car show in an amusement park parking lot- good people, good idea, but an unfortunate place for a "Replica Rendezvous".

Stan Galat posted:
Terry Nuckels posted:

We've been doing it at this hotel since 2013 at least. Before that we were at Morro Bay for a few years and Paso Robles before that.

All of these events were light years ahead of the original meets at Knotts Berry Farm starting in 2004...

John Leader Alfenito and Bruce Williams did the first one.

I was at '05 at Knotts. 

It was a weird car show in an amusement park parking lot- good people, good idea, but an unfortunate place for a "Replica Rendezvous".

I was fortunate enough to make your acquaintance there, Stan. Buddies ever since.

Panhandle Bob posted:

I lived one block south of Knott's growing up. There were no fences, admission fees or charges for parking back then. Great place to go play cowboys and indigenuous peoples growing up. 

Now you're really bringing back some old memories and, fortunately, they're all good! My Dad had already been working 12 years for the Southern Pacific RR (Brakeman/Conductor), when he took me to Knott's for the Grand Opening of their railroad in 1952. I'm sure his being the Union Local President (Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen) "greased the skids," because we rode that train on its inaugural trip around the Farm - they even had the "always kid pleasing" train robbers shooting and whooping! Thanks, Bob, for helping me pry this recollection from my rusted old memory bank.

In the fall we meet in Auburn, CA and head to South Lake Tahoe. Otherwise drive to the Central Valley in the spring or later in the fall and you can follow me around on one of my One Tank Adventures through the Sierra Nevadas. It's an easy 200 mile day with some fantastic views.

I may have to organize a hometown adventure for the West Coast crowd one year just to get in some extra driving.

Robert M posted:

In the fall we meet in Auburn, CA and head to South Lake Tahoe. Otherwise drive to the Central Valley in the spring or later in the fall and you can follow me around on one of my One Tank Adventures through the Sierra Nevadas. It's an easy 200 mile day with some fantastic views.

I may have to organize a hometown adventure for the West Coast crowd one year just to get in some extra driving.

Come on up, @Robert M. You, Teby and I can have a grand time up here for a full weekend of driving.

We'll leave the light on.

Terry Nuckels posted:
Robert M posted:

Come on up, @Robert M. You, Teby and I can have a grand time up here for a full weekend of driving.

We'll leave the light on.

You know I will. 

I have some friends that take part of a few of the classic car rally's/tours here in the US.  Each year, I drive over to the Fairmont in San Francisco to see the cars of the California Mille before they start their tour around California.  One thing all these tours seem to have in common is a name (Rallye Monte Carlo, Mille, Copperstate 1000, Colorado Grand, Peak to Peak, etc), and a way to identify the cars (meatballs or window stickers).  Perhaps this group isn't about that, and that's cool.  
That said, I have been thinking about our West Coast gathering for the past few days, and if there's any way some of these concepts could be used.  For starters, a name to identify this function.  With a few exceptions, one thing I thought was interesting about the route most of us take to get to SLO resembles the famous Amtrak Coast Starlight route from Seattle to LA.  Therefore, I simply borrowed that route for a tour name, the Coast Starlight.
The other thing was to come up with either a window decal or a meatball for the side of our cars.  Option 1 was inspired by a lot of the poster art / decals from the Mille Miglia; just relating it to our event.  Option 2 borrows from the graphics/logos of the railways of yesteryear.  Option 3 simplifies it all together.
Feel free to sing praises, fling insults (tell me this is the stupidest thing you've heard), scribble on the PDFs, etc.  I won't get butt-hurt.  

Attachments

I've been asking for a couple of weeks about Left Coast cruises and this is exactly what I've been looking for, I'll do my best to make it, even though I'll be out there in the early part of May for my brother's funeral service.  Of course another big IF is if I can get Carey to release my car from The Transplant Plant in Indiana . The snows have been so bad that they haven't been able to complete many cars this past winter.  They've had my car for about 6 months and said that it will be ready, possibly, in May.  It's cutting it kinda close but I'm going to try to make it.  

My mother used to live in SLO, up on the hill overlooking "The Rock" and the bay.

It is a great idea. I have been going through posts and videos from these type of events in Europe ( Tunnelrun, Targa Cannibale) and it looks like a good time. Some are focused on P-cars,  but welcomes everybody with something sporty to drive. Being a non-P-car, non-VW, the feeling of being on the Island of misfit toys pops up often. 

@Kevin - Bay Area, you'll see and feel the vibe when you come this year. The ebb and flow of new and old attendees seems to have no effect on the pace  or mood from year to year. We meet, we congregate, we drink, we eat, we drive a bit and laugh alot. But the cars and the drive aren't  what it's all about...you'll see.

That said, having a purpose event would be fun. We could easily do a West Coast event that would highlight the central valley, or the gold country, wine country, etc.. That event could easily replace Tour d'Hoe in September. It could be like the Spring Thaw from the great northwest. Perhaps this could be discussed starting another thread?

I have considered a much more ambitious event like a multi-day multi-city event. Start somewhere and end in a different place each day for several days or even a week. Connected by some of the best roads and scenery Mother Nature has to offer. Maybe when I retire and have more time to plan.

As far as this event, we just call it the West Coast Cruise. 

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.