Skip to main content

Mike needs to stop by a his local church and profess his thanks.... then proceed to a Lottery retailer and make a large ticket purchase.

When I was in trucking,  it was required to do a daily detailed pre tip and post trip inspection and document same. On occasion I have come across some issues that, I was glad I saw prior to heading to on the roads, the worst being   transmission cross member that had a large crack 3/4 of the way though it.   I strongly suggest that every speedster go completely though every mechanical component every month as these are for the most part hand built cars. 

Last edited by Alan Merklin

Got home at 2:30 p.m. 

Truck, trailer, and Spyder all performed perfectly all weekend. Lenny made it home safely a couple hours later. The 10,000 pound rig got 7.8 MPG average on the way down, but 8.9 on the way home. This proves that it is uphill to the Smokies(2000 feet plus), and downhill to the North(and 300-400 feet ASL). Really not bad considering 70 mph average speed.

@DannyP posted:

Got home at 2:30 p.m. 

Truck, trailer, and Spyder all performed perfectly all weekend. Lenny made it home safely a couple hours later. The 10,000 pound rig got 7.8 MPG average on the way down, but 8.9 on the way home. This proves that it is uphill to the Smokies(2000 feet plus), and downhill to the North(and 300-400 feet ASL). Really not bad considering 70 mph average speed.

Speed was the single biggest contributor to my less than stellar fuel consumption on my journey to/from Bremen. But it sure beat poking along in the slow lane.

There is nothing like pulling into a biker restaurant called the Buttered Biscuit in a six door stretch Cadillac Limousine with flags literally flying from it and then disgorging a motley crew of Speedster replica miscreants and watching people's faces.

The Buttered Biscuit alone was worth the trip.

We rolled in to Morton about 30 minutes ago. The car's still on the trailer, but I'm wiped out and tomorrow is another day. We'll deal with it then.

I wish I had counted number of cell-phone pictures taken of the rig in the past week-- I'll bet there were at least 20, just today. When I walked in the door, my personalized "STANSTN" plates and power-chip for the limo were in the stack of mail (several days too late, alas). The limo did great, but the mass air-flow sensor threw another code in the mountains. I'll deal with that tomorrow, as well. I think we averaged about 14 mpg, which ain't bad for a mighty 4.6 hauling around an extra car and a half. The cruise was mostly on 75, except in the mountains.

I loved pretty much every minute of this weekend, and I'd leave tomorrow to do it all again if I had the chance.

Last edited by Stan Galat

14mpg hauling a car behind that Limo is pretty darn good!

Hauling an enclosed trailer with a gas pickup/Limo at 70mph typically will give you 8 - 10-ish MPG YMMV.  Make it an open trailer and add 3-4 MPG to that.  Go to a diesel and you'll get 14+ with an enclosed trailer and 16-21mpg open trailer (but with twice the torque in the diesel, you won't notice that the trailer is back there).  

I got about 9-ish mpg with Pearl trailered behind a gas 5.4 liter pickup.  I got 16.5 with the same car/trailer with a 6 liter diesel.  Same car/trailer behind Chris' 7.3 liter chipped diesel got 21-ish.  Both of us saw a dramatic drop in MPG at 80 and above.

Last edited by Gordon Nichols

I'm thinking of doing one last video with all three days. A "best of" kinda. Taking some tips, I could show Danny, Carlos and Mike since I was behind all. Sunday, I have better shots of Stan. Plus, I have Friday, where Stan blew by us at.... *Ahem, a responsible 40mph. 

I still have Sunday footage to go through.

If you have pictures, please send them to me so I can fold them in. I have all the pictures here.

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.