Skip to main content

I have still been waiting for a couple responses for stuff I'm trying to plan but so far no luck. So without further ado here is what I have for the 2021 West Coast Cruise:

Because of the uncertainty of things I will limit the planning of this event, at this time, to the blocking of rooms at the hotel and organizing a drive with a lunch stop at an outdoor venue that serves food or has food within walking distance.

SLO still has limited capacity at its local restaurants and there are no large groups being allowed yet. The hotel is serving breakfast in the morning but you have to eat outside and there is still a "Manager's Reception", ie free drinks in the evenings from 5:00-7:00 (IIRC).

We won't have the use of the breakfast room for our Saturday night dinner/raffle but the hotel does serve bbq food on the patio every night so we could still get food from the hotel and eat outside in our small groups, much like we do on Friday evening. Or you can walk to one of several local establishments for dinner Friday and Saturday night then rejoin the group on the patio. We will still have the opportunity to partake of adult beverages and catch up with each other.

At this time I have secured 20 rooms at the rate of $229.00 per night for the weekend of June 11th-13th. Check in on the 11th and check out on the morning of the 13th. In the past if you've wanted to check out on the Monday following the event they will give you special pricing.

Saturday morning at 9:00 am we will meet at the Veterans' Hall for the driver's meeting and we'll get the driving started.

Quality Suites Downtown San Luis Obispo

1631 Monterey St., San Luis Obispo, CA, 93401, US

Phone (805) 242-0269

https://www.qualitysuitesslo.com

Call the hotel directly and reference the Speedster Owners.

At this point I don't see the need to spend time designing t-shirts or any other labor or time intensive organizing in case we have to cancel the event.

Bottom line, we might all still be able to get together, talk, drink, drive, and enjoy each other's company but it'll be a bit more subdued.

@MusbJim@Troy Sloan@Teby S@Ryan (formerly) in NorCal@Kevin - Bay Area@Dan Stewart@majorkahuna@Karyadi@GERD@goofer@Tom Murtaugh@*LongFella@Fast Eddy@Larry Bull@Rusty S@slofuzz@TheMayoMachine@Napa Paul@Dave Mitchell@Sacto Mitch@Dutch@VSpyder@Cory McCloskey@PaulEllis@IMDoug@aircooled@Rick99GSX@OCC@SimplifyTALightness

After you make your reservation send me a PM so I can keep track of who is coming. Or email me at robertDOTmcewen@comcastDOTnet

If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This sounds like it'll work! With that in mind, I'll ask again: Is anyone from Northern CA or, perhaps, from Central Valley interested in driving down (by that, I mean South)  Hwy-1 from Carmel By-The-Sea to the hotel in SLO? I plan on leaving the Chevron station at the corner of Rio Rd. & Hwy-1 at 12 noon on Friday, June 11.If so, why don't you send me a PM and I'll start a list of entrants for a "Clown Car Convoy - 2021." It's only 53 days away! 

I just made our reservation.  I referenced “Speedster Owners Group” and the lady at the desk sounded confused.  She was able to find the $229 rate under “SOC”.  All is well...for now.

All willing and the Creek don’t rise and we’ll be there.  I have a few things going on that may preclude us from joining everyone but I’m hoping things work themselves out.

If it all works out I figure we will hit the road Thursday AM...anyone want to caravan from the Central Valley?

I just made our reservation.  I referenced “Speedster Owners Group” and the lady at the desk sounded confused.  She was able to find the $229 rate under “SOC”.  All is well...for now.

All willing and the Creek don’t rise and we’ll be there.  I have a few things going on that may preclude us from joining everyone but I’m hoping things work themselves out.

If it all works out I figure we will hit the road Thursday AM...anyone want to caravan from the Central Valley?

I wish their right hand knew what their left hand was doing.

Thanks @Robert M for organizing all of that.  I don't think my coupe will be ready by then, so I'm unlikely to be coming.  I've got two shots of Pfizer and everything.  Oh, well, next one for damn sure.

By the way, once Greg does finish the car, I may need to hire you to trailer it up to Oregon if you're game.  I'd fly and drive, but he says he'd have to charge me the California sales tax.  Yikes! 

@Robert M posted:

I have still been waiting for a couple responses for stuff I'm trying to plan but so far no luck. So without further ado here is what I have for the 2021 West Coast Cruise:

Because of the uncertainty of things I will limit the planning of this event, at this time, to the blocking of rooms at the hotel and organizing a drive with a lunch stop at an outdoor venue that serves food or has food within walking distance.

SLO still has limited capacity at its local restaurants and there are no large groups being allowed yet. The hotel is serving breakfast in the morning but you have to eat outside and there is still a "Manager's Reception", ie free drinks in the evenings from 5:00-7:00 (IIRC).

We won't have the use of the breakfast room for our Saturday night dinner/raffle but the hotel does serve bbq food on the patio every night so we could still get food from the hotel and eat outside in our small groups, much like we do on Friday evening. Or you can walk to one of several local establishments for dinner Friday and Saturday night then rejoin the group on the patio. We will still have the opportunity to partake of adult beverages and catch up with each other.

At this time I have secured 20 rooms at the rate of $229.00 per night for the weekend of June 11th-13th. Check in on the 11th and check out on the morning of the 13th. In the past if you've wanted to check out on the Monday following the event they will give you special pricing.

Saturday morning at 9:00 am we will meet at the Veterans' Hall for the driver's meeting and we'll get the driving started.

Phone (805) 242-0269

https://www.qualitysuitesslo.com

Call the hotel directly and reference the Speedster Owners.

At this point I don't see the need to spend time designing t-shirts or any other labor or time intensive organizing in case we have to cancel the event.

Bottom line, we might all still be able to get together, talk, drink, drive, and enjoy each other's company but it'll be a bit more subdued.

@MusbJim@Troy Sloan@Teby S@Ryan (formerly) in NorCal@Kevin - Bay Area@Dan Stewart@majorkahuna@Karyadi@GERD@goofer@Tom Murtaugh@*LongFella@Fast Eddy@Larry Bull@Rusty S@slofuzz@TheMayoMachine@Napa Paul@Dave Mitchell@Sacto Mitch@Dutch@VSpyder@Cory McCloskey@PaulEllis@IMDoug@aircooled@Rick99GSX@OCC@SimplifyTALightness

After you make your reservation send me a PM so I can keep track of who is coming. Or email me at robertDOTmcewen@comcastDOTnet

Today is the last day to make reservations at the reduced rate. The hotel is filling up and if you make your reservation after today you'll pay the full rate or you may have to stay at a different hotel.

just curious since inquiring minds need to know...has any of the club up north been through the hwy 1  rat creek slide area since completed?...i cant wait to do so myself in my little black car...done it a bunch of times on a harley...but i wanna go do 17 mile drive in pebble beach (which FYI you can't do on a harley unless you live there ) in my car pretty soon....just watching weather so i don't do it in the fog  : (   been there done that

I don't know if I will be able to attend this year again. I am leaving on a Route 66 road trip and will be cutting it close in being able to attend.  If I do, it will be in my GMC !  No car yet !  But here's what I have in anticipation of my maiden voyage in my future new Spyder when the next West Coast Cruise happens.

New "Racing Shoes"------New "Steam Punk Racing Hat w/Goggles n Gears"------"Special Racing Shoes Key Fob" (with no key attached yet).............Bruce

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMG_3723
  • IMG_3725

@jncspyder

Just rode Hwy 1 yesterday Friday 5/7, and it was awesome! Barely any traffic, and all the one-way controlled traffic had no stoppage or if so, minimal. There are large sections that have been recently paved in the last 2 years.

A little windy north of Andrew Molera, but besides that it was clear, no fog yet either.

Campsites are open, as well as shoulders open for parking and pictures.

Is anyone bringing their guitar? Will we hear some sounds of Speedsters V 2.0?

@aircooled posted:

I don't know if I will be able to attend this year again. I am leaving on a Route 66 road trip and will be cutting it close in being able to attend.  If I do, it will be in my GMC !  No car yet !  But here's what I have in anticipation of my maiden voyage in my future new Spyder when the next West Coast Cruise happens.

New "Racing Shoes"------New "Steam Punk Racing Hat w/Goggles n Gears"------"Special Racing Shoes Key Fob" (with no key attached yet).............Bruce

You are looking quite fit Bruce. Whatever you've been doing is working. Keep it up.

@Cory McCloskey is that a photo from a prior West Coast Summer gathering?  Must be a brisk, chilly breeze off that West Coast water.......    Watch out for hail at higher elevations.  

It is, Gordon!  2019.

It was Friday morning, and I departed before dawn from Morro Bay to head north to meet up with Ryan McCarthy so that we could punish our Speedsters on the Old Coast Road that runs inland from Bixby Bridge and pops out on the 1 many miles south. What a morning!

I’m bundled up like I’m flying a Sopwith Camel because I hit the road with temps in the 40s. 🤪

Last edited by Cory McCloskey
@Rick99GSX posted:

Unfortunately we won't be able to make it this year as we will be out of country 😟

I was hoping that we would be back on time but all return flight were full so we will now get back on Saturday. Super bummed that we won't make it.

You WILL be missed! Maybe we can put together a Northern Cal Mini-Cruise this summer either east to the Sierras or west to the Coast?

Hey all. I would support a Tour d' Hoe in late August. I can take care of Hotel arrangements. Probably going back to the Beach Retreat would the best idea. Perhaps you and Ryan can arrange the drive up. For a Saturday drive a loop around the Lake is always great. Also some folks might want to go to Virginia City. The Hot Springs will all be Open in Aug as well. We can do a Saturday Dinner at the Hotel as long as we give them an advance notice.

@Robert M, reservation made. Let's do this!

I'll be bringing my eldest son, and driving down from the Carmel area on Friday for some extra adventures down the coast.

This will be one to remember.

@majorkahuna, August sounds good for Tahoe, but let's do it after Car Week. I'd like to take a trip down to see the classic races on the 7-8th, and the Concourse on the 14-15th.

Last edited by Ryan (formerly) in NorCal

Who’s all coming?

So far I see @Robert M, @Cory McCloskey, @Napa Paul, @curtissb, @OCC, @TheMayoMachine, @SimplifyTALightness, @MusbJim, @Troy Sloan, @jncspyder, @Butcher Boy reporting in.

Where are you at @Teby S@Kevin - Bay Area@Dan Stewart@GERD@goofer@Tom Murtaugh@*LongFella@Fast Eddy@Larry Bull@Rusty S@slofuzz@Dave Mitchell@Sacto Mitch@Dutch@VSpyder@PaulEllis@IMDoug!

@OCC just previewed the swag, and @Robert M is hard at work on the route and schedule. I’m going to print us some nice route books too.

If you’re coming, make sure to let @Robert M know (and so @OCC can make sure there’s enough tshirts and hoodies for us). I requested 5 shirts and two hoodies myself. Very excited for this trip!

We are working on getting some merch made up last min @Ryan in NorCal worked up a awesome design and I ran with it into some merch. Im am hopping to pull these off. There is a quick time line and small min I got to do to make happen. Let me know if you might be interested asap so I can pout you down and ideally make it happen. I have estimates on the items.

text or email me for best - 714 928 3438

scott at occsigns.com

Hoodies -$35ea

Shirts $15-20ea

Lanyards $3-4ea

Im not sure If I got every one but will post in the 2 caravans forms to.

@MusbJim @Ryan in NorCal  @Robert M @Tom Murtaugh @Cory McCloskey @*LongFella @Dave Mitchell @VSpyder @Terry Nuckels @TheMayoMachine @GERD @MusbJim @Karyadi @Troy Sloan @Teby S @IMDoug @Rick99GSX @Dan Stewart @Speedster Marc @Ryan (formerly) in NorCal  @montereybrian @Todd M @Markos

Attachments

Images (1)
  • soc

West Coast Cruise 2021 details, all in one place:

RSVP: @Robert M (robertDOTmcewen@comcastDOTnet)

Merch Orders: @OCC (scott at occsigns.com or text 714 928 3438 to make sure he prints enough!)

Friday, June 11 — 4pm - 8pm — Check-in, Reception
(805) 242-0269
(Likely sold out by now, but group rate for Speedster Owners Club was $229.)

Getting to San Luis Obispo:
NorCal Caravan Thread — 12pm Chevron, Carmel-by-the-Sea
SoCal Caravan Thread — 10am Topanga Ranch Motel, Malibu Beach

Saturday, June 12 — Cruise Starts at 9am @Veteran's Hall, SLO ⛽️ Fuel up first!

Sunday, June 13 - Check-out (by noon)

Make sure to get your merch orders in to Scott (@OCC) right away!

soc

(Please let me know if I missed something... the above is as much for me as for you.)

Attachments

Images (1)
  • soc
@R Thorpe posted:

It’s graduation weekend at Cal Poly no rooms left.

That's rough. It looks like there are still some options with AirBnB, VRBO, and HotelTonight. Here's one on HotelTonight at Vagabond Inn San Luis Obispo.

A few years back I even slept in a vineyard. Where there's a will, there's a way!

6-sunrise-2(Seriously. This was my view from my hammock.)

********UPDATE********

I have found a place willing to host us outdoors. After our morning drive through the Paso robles countryside we will end up at California Coast Brewing Company. This is a great local brewery with a good selection of beers. On the same property is a tasting room for wines. A local restaurant, La Reyna, will be on site serving food as they do every weekend. They will be there an hour earlier just for us. They serve a selection of tacos, quesadillas, burritos, or plates. Sides of beans and rice are also available. No money is needed up front as you will pay them directly. If tasty Mexican food isn't up to the standards of your advanced palette you can walk to The Backyard. This is a local eatery that serves burgers. However, I'd like to support the establishment that is willing to host us.

We'll hang out there from about 11:00-12:30/1:00 depending on how it's going. The second half will be a bit more driving than the first but we'll head up into the coastal mountains, down into Cambria, take a drive along Moonstone Beach Dr, and the crowd favorite drive back to the hotel along picturesque Hwy 1. No second stop at any of the wineries as they all require a reservation and no groups larger than what fits into a couple Speedsters.

Hey I can confirm that La Reyna is quality, and they car people too. They delivered us food at a PR car show once (wife also knows the owner).

CC Brewing Co (calcoastbeer.com) is a great little spot. Good choice Rob. They have flights, crowlers to go, and a decent variety on the menu. Pretty good looking merch too with the bear on the logo.

No off street parking at the brewing co., can we rope off a special section of the curbside? Any permits for that??? The surrounding streets can be busy but I'm always able to find a spot not too far away. Downtown is busy again and it's good to see.

-Marcel

Hey Ryan,

Sure! If y'all think it's okay, maybe I can talk to the staff and hash out an idea? I have some orange cones I can offer and then pick 'em up at the end of the day.

If we get the upfront parking it will make for some great social media posts for their biz.  I'll see what's up.

I’ve been in email conversations with Martha who is one of the owners. Her husband is Rich. If you go by there ask to speak to one of them and mention the Speedster Owners Group and we’re coming on the 12th. The art store lot is to the south and the lot owned by their friend is to the north. Rich offered to block off street parking last year before we cancelled.

Unfortunately we are not going to be able to make it this year.  Work, life, and mechanical updates to our VS are too much to overcome this year.

I hope the Tour d'hoe happens though as we need a drive and social gathering to bring back a sense of normalcy!

On that note: we have a reservation at the Quality Inn and Suites in SLO at the discounted rate.  As I understand it some members are having difficulty getting a room for the week-end.  If anyone wants to assume my reservation I'm sure the hotel would honor the change.  If you want the room PM me ASAP and I will gladly turn it over if possible. 

I will need to cancel by mid-morning Thursday June 10 so don't delay!

Unfortunately we are not going to be able to make it this year.  Work, life, and mechanical updates to our VS are too much to overcome this year.

I hope the Tour d'hoe happens though as we need a drive and social gathering to bring back a sense of normalcy!

On that note: we have a reservation at the Quality Inn and Suites in SLO at the discounted rate.  As I understand it some members are having difficulty getting a room for the week-end.  If anyone wants to assume my reservation I'm sure the hotel would honor the change.  If you want the room PM me ASAP and I will gladly turn it over if possible.

I will need to cancel by mid-morning Thursday June 10 so don't delay!

@TheMayoMachine, that’s such a bummer. Sorry to miss you.

@R Thorpe @GomezInSJ @RayRay19 now is your chance.

@Robert M

Yesterday I talked to one of the workers named Dustin who will be there on the 12th. He expressed the same advice, that the art store will be closed and has about 7-8+ spots. I would say it's the top choice right now plus street parking on both sides of Railroad St. The location of that lot is just on the other (south) side of the wine venue. Just next door.
Street parking is okay, not guaranteed, and I didn't get any traction on the cone setup and take down from him. There were a few scattered spots at 1130am, I was able to park my bike right in front. Maybe I'll pass by again this week for a beer and see if there are any other 'opinions' that come up in conversation with the staff.

@Robert M

Yesterday I talked to one of the workers named Dustin who will be there on the 12th. He expressed the same advice, that the art store will be closed and has about 7-8+ spots. I would say it's the top choice right now plus street parking on both sides of Railroad St. The location of that lot is just on the other (south) side of the wine venue. Just next door.
Street parking is okay, not guaranteed, and I didn't get any traction on the cone setup and take down from him. There were a few scattered spots at 1130am, I was able to park my bike right in front. Maybe I'll pass by again this week for a beer and see if there are any other 'opinions' that come up in conversation with the staff.

Thank you Marcel.

@Troy Sloan posted:

Is there a plan for Saturday evening when we normally have a dinner and raffle?  I know the hotel wasn't allowing us to use their room, but there's been a couple other posts about raffle tickets and swag. Is there something in the works?

Napa Paul would like to have some sort of raffle but he hasn't said where. Bring some SWAG anyway and we'll make it happen. Maybe just on the patio. SLO is still way behind the times with the opening of their city. I've checked with some local restaurants and they're still not taking reservations or seating large groups. We could try a hostile takeover of a local restaurant or the hotel will have their bbq fired up and serving burgers, dog, and tri-tip on the patio.

Effective Wed., June 9th, SLO County is in the Yellow Tier (Mininum Restrictions) until Tue. the 15th, when the state's entire Color-Tier program is dumped.

This means in SLO this coming weekend the following "rules" will be in effect for the Gatherings of Knuckleheads:

Restaurants (dine-in)

• Outdoors: 100 person maximum
  • Indoors: Max 50% capacity in settings where capacity limits exist or 50 people or whichever is fewer
  • Masks and physical distancing required

So, the number of Knuckleheads and guests in attendance will dictate where we can gather, break bread, and hold services.

I keep wondering why this isn't in the Events section.

It's on the Main Calendar:
https://www.speedsterowners.co...lendar/main-calendar

Here's the link to the Event:
https://www.speedsterowners.co...21-west-coast-cruise

I also linked to it above here. As well as the NorCal/SoCal Caravan threads.

You planning on joining us, @Michael McKelvey? I hope you're on the road already.

See you all soon!

Posting this on several threads to maximize exposure and catch those who are reading through several different threads regarding the SLO Cruise.

SoCal caravan to SLO rendezvous is 10:00 Friday Jun 11th at Topanga Ranch Motel on PCH in Malibu Beach. So far have received confirmation from @OCC and @Speedster Marc. Will leave that location by 10:30 (or possibly earlier) when those two SOCers arrive.

We will arrive at second rendezvous in Camarillo by 11:30 at the McD's on Los Posas, north side of Hwy 101. Usual SOCers at this location are unable to attend. Group from Malibu with top off fuel tanks at this location and continue on to Solvang for rest stop then onto SLO. ETA in SLO is 4:30PM.

@OCC @Speedster Marc @Jon T

@curtissb

Curtis, I'll see you there tomorrow. The brewery is on the east side of the street and Railroad is a wide street, looking at it I think we could start our own angle parking on that side, and fit several cars right up front.  It would make for some great pictures.

I might head over again today to chat with the staff, and prob have a sample of the product :-)

Rich/Martha had mentioned angled parking last time we spoke. The motorcycle clubs doit all the time and our cars are barely longer than a motorcycle. Lol

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.