Skip to main content

@slofuzz The usual Friday evening shenanigans around the fire pit. Meet at the Veterans’ Hall Saturday morning at 9:00AM  for the first half of the drive, lunch, and the second half of the drive. The after lunch half is sort of open. I have a route planned but we may discuss stopping at a winery and spending some time there after lunch. Love to have you two join us. It’s a small group. Hasn’t recovered since COVID.

We made it home safe!.. we were happy to see everyone and truly enjoyed our time with you guys.

Fun fact we somehow managed 33.5 MPG for the whole cruise (down and back) and the car is still in one piece 😜. The car does have a leak somewhere in the transmission,  possibly the axles 🤷‍♂️? I will be looking into that this week at some point once I finally tune the carbs properly.

20230603_12570420230602_11125320230603_093058

Attachments

Images (3)
  • 20230603_125704
  • 20230602_111253
  • 20230603_093058

Rick, can't remember what drivetrain you've got, but recently had some (VW) trans leaks fixed. Main one was reversing switch. These are apparently known to self destruct and start producing impressive flow rates down the side of the case. They're on top of the case and not easy to see or reach (maybe easier in a Spyder?). I ended up just having it pulled and replaced with a plug to prevent this ever happening again.

I hooked up a (what else) toggle switch for the reversing light for that one time every five years I'm out driving at night and backing up somewhere where ambient light or tail lights don't suffice.

@Rick99GSX posted:

Fun fact we somehow managed 33.5 MPG for the whole cruise (down and back) and the car is still in one piece 😜.

Wow!  33.5 MPG is impressive for that big motor and carbs...well done!

After measuring all of my trip segments between gas stops on Google Maps, I came up with a total of 546 miles and 22 gallons consumed for 24.8 MPG.   That doesn't include the last 80 miles of my trip since I didn't top off the tank when I got home.

Those two cruise's look great !  Weather appeared to be perfect too. I prefer it to be sunny but cool.  I will definitely attend next year. Once my car is completed I'd like to put together a couple local cruise's here close to Pasadena.  One up Angeles Crest Hwy to Mt. Wilson observatory for a picnic lunch or continue over the hill to a friend's winery for lunch.  

Then another up on Azusa Canyon Hwy all the way to Mt. Baldy Village for a late lunch and return down to the 210 fwy and home.  Susan and I just drove the Azusa Canyon run two days ago. We didn't encounter a single car for the whole trip. One motorcycle only.  That, my friends, is a beautiful drive and curvy as it gets on an old WPA built road.  At one point there is a turn-off to the famous "Road to Nowhere". built in the 50"s as an escape route in the event of a nuclear disaster in the LA basin during the Cold War.  It's always closed but I may be able to get the key to get in and drive up to at least the first tunnel.  The tunnel walls are covered with a lot of interesting graffiti.  Here's a couple photos of the tunnels...........Bruce

Attachments

Images (4)
  • IMG_1840
  • IMG_1846
  • IMG_1868
  • IMG_1916
@aircooled posted:

Those two cruise's look great !  Weather appeared to be perfect too. I prefer it to be sunny but cool.  I will definitely attend next year. Once my car is completed I'd like to put together a couple local cruise's here close to Pasadena.  One up Angeles Crest Hwy to Mt. Wilson observatory for a picnic lunch or continue over the hill to a friend's winery for lunch.  

Then another up on Azusa Canyon Hwy all the way to Mt. Baldy Village for a late lunch and return down to the 210 fwy and home.  Susan and I just drove the Azusa Canyon run two days ago. We didn't encounter a single car for the whole trip. One motorcycle only.  That, my friends, is a beautiful drive and curvy as it gets on an old WPA built road.  At one point there is a turn-off to the famous "Road to Nowhere". built in the 50"s as an escape route in the event of a nuclear disaster in the LA basin during the Cold War.  It's always closed but I may be able to get the key to get in and drive up to at least the first tunnel.  The tunnel walls are covered with a lot of interesting graffiti.  Here's a couple photos of the tunnels...........Bruce

What is WPA?

The weather could not have been any more perfect this year either. The high in Paso Robles was 82 and we were out of Paso by 12:30PM so it wasn't anywhere near there when we left for the coastal portion of the run.

Last edited by Robert M

WPA stands for Works Progress Administration. Those were put folks back to work programs brought forward by FDR. It provided government funded jobs for the 38% of Americans out of work. The evidence is everywhere, you just have to understand they were mostly make work programs. A lot of infrastructure was built during this times. Canals, sidewalks. retaining walls, Even the artists got work. The Timberline Lodge at Mt. Hood was built by artists as a WPA project. In a sense the GG Bridge and Hoover Dam were partially funded by the WPA.

@NTrav posted:

Completed the Relive videos for the 2023 WCC SLO.

A big thanks to @Robert M  @Rick99GSX  @SimplifyTALightness  @slofuzz  and  @MusbJim  for all the pix to embed in the videos!

2023 WCC - Morning

2023 WCC - Afternoon

That looks like a great cruise.  I’m sorry I missed it but the grandkids were getting baptized.  I must say it must have been nice being on paved roads the entire time.  I’ve had my share of fire access roads and cattle grates.

@majorkahuna posted:

WPA stands for Works Progress Administration. Those were put folks back to work programs brought forward by FDR. It provided government funded jobs for the 38% of Americans out of work. The evidence is everywhere, you just have to understand they were mostly make work programs. A lot of infrastructure was built during this times. Canals, sidewalks. retaining walls, Even the artists got work. The Timberline Lodge at Mt. Hood was built by artists as a WPA project. In a sense the GG Bridge and Hoover Dam were partially funded by the WPA.

They’ve mostly been replaced in the last 20 years or so but a lot of Nation Park infrastructure we grew up with was first built by the WPA and CCC.

Two of my favorite local roads, The Alpine Loop and the Mt Nebo Scenic Hwy were both partly  “make work” projects during the depression.

That looks like a great cruise.  I’m sorry I missed it but the grandkids were getting baptized.  I must say it must have been nice being on paved roads the entire time.  I’ve had my share of fire access roads and cattle grates.

All my routes are on paved roads. You followed @Ryan (formerly) in NorCal and either didn't read the fine print, forgot to sign the waiver, or forgot he slept in a hammock in a vineyard, forgot he jumped his Speedster over a rock on a 4x4 trail or was it a fire road?, traveled with @Cory McCloskey down a dirt road to Bixby Bridge, and many other off-road adventures when you followed him along the Challenge route that year. Granted, I did plan that but it did come with a caveat. LOL Seriously though, you knew what you were getting into and you loved every minute of it.

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.