Skip to main content

I have an Outlaw coupe replica with 2110cc motor. 8 to 1 compression dual webers

Carrera style exhaust with headers, heavy duty clutch. looking for an additional 10% power would be perfect. rocker ratio change help any? got stock ratio rockers. Does 1.5 rockers help duration and power?

Attachments

Images (1)
  • outlawreplicamotor
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've read NOT to use ratio rockers if you already have a high lift cam.  Here's chart that recommends what ratio to use with what cams.  Do you know what cam is in the engine?  Some are marked on end of cam drive gear - behind the oil pump.  The right cam will give you more horse power with right carb tuning. Did you go with larger than stock 1 3/8" header/J tubes and exhaust?  

http://www.phnet.fi/public/hefor1/eng/vwinfoca.htm

Last edited by WOLFGANG

As Greg said, it will depend on what cam is in it whether you can increase the rocker ratio, so knowing that little tidbit is a good place to start. There are lots of cams that have mild enough ramps that you can increase rocker ratio safely, but there are some that while it will work short term (and make fantastic power) and seem to be ok at a casual inspection, will beat the heads to the point where they are not rebuildable in only a few thousand miles, so you have to know what you have!!! What rockers are on it now?

With all but the mildest cams you could also increase the compression ratio for more through the rpm's power, but again, you'll have to know what cam is in it. Depending on what heads (and valve sizes/how much porting is done) there could be a bunch of power ready to be unleashed as well. How much do you know about the engine? Did you have it built? Again, as Greg asked, what size tubing is the exhaust made of? What size carburetors are on it? Are there heater boxes on it now? Will they stay?

A lot of questions, I know, but these are some of the things you need to know before proceeding. Al

Last edited by ALB

Yes heater boxes

2110cc VW Based engine

New Case full flowed for external oil filter, 82mm Counter weighted and balanced Crank, 90.5 bore Mahle barrels and pistons. Rods are stock VW,

110 Rated Scat Cam, VW stock rockers with swivel feet on 0.41 VW heads 40 X 35 Valves. 40 Dual Webers. CB Performance distributor.

Thanks for the help 

Scat makes a C35 which is similar to the Engle W110- is this the cam you're referring to? If it's the C35 then I believe you can go to 1.25 rockers, but check with the people at Scat to be sure. You could also increase compression up to 8 1/2 or 3/4 (which, as I said, will give a noticeable power increase from idle to redline), but that's a little more involved and the heads will have to come off. Whether the heads will need to be flycut or you can just pull (or change to reduce) cylinder shims will depend on what's there and what the deck height is now. Al

If you REVERSE the RIZZROD with the FOOFOO VALVE at 12a.m. without inverting the inverter retaining pin....you might see a slight improvement in the TORQUE CURVE when in REVERSE. Put 2 tablespoons of PEPTO in MARVEL MYSTERY OIL and lube the SPLINE SHAFT of the LIMITED SLIP EVAPORATOR adjacent to the slave cylinder. DO not use BLUETOOTH to TUNE FM for at least 24 hours to avoid the PI(PYONGYANG INDEX) especially when tuning in North Korean  SPORTS talk shows during the HARVEST MOON. Feel free to review the YUGO repair manual when attempting to clean the injectors as they flow BACKWARDS from the intake manifold INTO the fuel pump.....most think it was BORAT who developed this reverse flow concept but it was Lucretia Shelby....Caroll Shelby's first wife

ENJOY the BBQ...I started EARLY

Using higher octane fuel than the engine needs has no performance benefit (it's actually harder to ignite and needs the extra compression to help burn) and just wastes money. A C35 cammed engine with 1.25 rockers (which add 4-5 degrees of duration @ 0.050") at 8 3/4 or 9:1 with suitable heads, carbs and exhaust will make great power to 6,000 rpm (or a little over) with 91 octane pump gas. With proper tuning, adequate air intake into the engine compartment and a thermostatted auxhiliary oil cooler (if it's stroked) the engine should be easy to take care of and live a long and healthy life as well as being a blast to drive!. Al 

Exactly. New heads. CB Panchitos are a GREAT choice. Up the compression, either by changing the cylinder spacers or putting new jugs/pistons.

Figure out what rockers would work best with those heads. Maybe have to play around with jetting. maybe not. Easily  at least 10% more power, and still reliable.

FYI: I'm running 9.8:1 static with no detonation for 41,000 miles on the same heads and pistons/cylinders.

Raz posted:

running a pair of 44 idf's. heads are 040 with 35.5 mm intakes 32mm exhaust. running 1.1 rockers. changing dizzy springs, jets and 1.25 rockers. more than halfway there on your recommended mods

Stock valve heads have the potential of 120-125hp if they are ported properly. On a 2110 they will max out at about 5,000 rpm, and while adding 1.25 rockers may add a little more (4? 5? 7?) power to what you have, I agree with Danny. For a really noticeable increase in power, the 40x35 mm valved Panchitos are a great choice. You don't want to go to 42 or 44x37 mm valves as the engine isn't set up to rev high enough to take advantage of the even larger intake port volume these heads would have, and you'd also lose the nice, crisp throttle response in the lower midrange  you have now. Do you know what camshaft the engine has and the compression it's set at? Al

PS- Bill, stop it!

Last edited by ALB

Kevin, where are you located? If you are anywhere on the East Coast, I may be willing to lend a hand.

Absolutely, if the motor has good oil pressure, I'd say pull the motor and swap the heads. Possibly pistons and cylinders too. Do a compression check first, dry, then wet with a spoonful of oil in each cylider. Check the piston/head clearance(deck height). Use this calculator to get where you want:

https://www.cbperformance.com/Calculators-s/153.htm

If you don't know what cam you have, you can remove a valve cover and rockers. Put a degree wheel on the crank and a dial indicator to the lifter and measure your cam. Then get back to Al B and he'll steer you in the right direction as to rockers and heads. But I still go by my original assessment of Panchitos and reinstall your rockers and go have fun. They really are THE head for what you're looking for, and will give you what you want. You may have to re-jet slightly.

Oh, and if you can't just unbolt the compressor and hang it to the side, it's not a real big deal to recharge. I have a set of R-134 gauges and a vacuum pump, it takes  about an hour to suck it down and charge it up.

Last edited by DannyP

Danny-He's in Fox Lake, IL. And according to the pics he's posted he'll really, really young looking...

Kevin- All kidding aside, if new heads are in the cards, as Danny said, the Panchitos are a pretty good choice. When you get the engine out you could also pull the oil pump and see what's stamped in the end of the cam- usually the grind # is there. 

And just call me Al (come on, you know the tune!)

ALB posted:

Danny-He's in Fox Lake, IL. And according to the pics he's posted he'll really, really young looking...

Kevin- All kidding aside, if new heads are in the cards, as Danny said, the Panchitos are a pretty good choice. When you get the engine out you could also pull the oil pump and see what's stamped in the end of the cam- usually the grind # is there. 

And just call me Al (come on, you know the tune!)

Raz posted:

49 years young. boys 14,10 and 3 keeps me on my toes!

In comparison to Al then you are very, very, young. 

Just kidding Al!! LOL   

Add Reply

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.