Skip to main content

Classified postings do not allow for discussion (replies are not allowed).  Direct message the member if you would like to discuss the item.
The Classified section is open to any individual (non-commercial firms) posting of items for sale. Members posting commercial advertisements must be enrolled in a Supporting Merchant program. 
Postings without relevant details (PRICE, location, condition, etc.) will be deleted.

Not mine but looks to be a great deal on Face Book

Paul A. Fearon to Aircooled Life VW Buy, Sell, Trade Page
15 mins ·

2276cc rebuilt motor.
$3,900
Gorham, Maine

2276cc ready to go to a new home. Got this in a project beetle. Way too much motor for the beetle. details: 94mm pistons x 82mm scat crank, c45 cam, 1.25 ratio rockers, big valve mild ported heads with single hi rev springs, full flow, complete rebuild. Crank mag’d and polished all new bearings, seals, stainless pushrod tubes, alternator, electronic ignition and Kennedy clutch. This is turn key. Looking to sell it to someone that knows what this is. Not your everyday grocery getter. This will have some serious grunt. $3900 with a good dual port core as a trade in. PM me with any questions.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Alan Merklin posted:
Not mine but looks to be a great deal on Face Book

Paul A. Fearon to Aircooled Life VW Buy, Sell, Trade Page
15 mins ·

2276cc rebuilt motor.
$3,900
Gorham, Maine

2276cc ready to go to a new home. Got this in a project beetle. Way too much motor for the beetle. details: 94mm pistons x 82mm scat crank, c45 cam, 1.25 ratio rockers, big valve mild ported heads with single hi rev springs, full flow, complete rebuild. Crank mag’d and polished all new bearings, seals, stainless pushrod tubes, alternator, electronic ignition and Kennedy clutch. This is turn key. Looking to sell it to someone that knows what this is. Not your everyday grocery getter. This will have some serious grunt. $3900 with a good dual port core as a trade in. PM me with any questions.

Contact info would be good for those not on Facebook. 

I'm guessing the engine is slightly overcammed- the cam/rocker combo has the ability to rev to close to 7,000 rpm, but the heads are the big question mark here. The heads would have to have been ported by someone who truly knows what they are doing for this engine to make power any where close to 6500-7,000 rpm if valve sizes are only 40x35 mm. If valve sizes are 42 (or 44) x37 then there's more of a chance the engine will come close to it's potential, but the single valve springs won't let it rev nearly that high either. The ad also doesn't say how big the carbs and exhaust are, or what the compression is set at, so lots of unknowns.

Generally, overcamming an engine creates a powerplant that does nothing really well- the long duration means it doesn't make all the bottom end torque it should, while the mis-matched other stuff will cut the rpm's (1,000? 1500?) short of the cam's potential. Essentially you end up with a rather narrow poweband. Now, being a 2276, the larger displacement will hide a lot of this, but it just won't be all it could be. A cam swap (from the W125 to a W120 or even W110) may be just what this engine needs if you're looking for a true go anywhere, any time driver.

At the very least, you need to find out from the seller exactly what all the components are before making an informed decision.

Hope this helps. Al

Last edited by ALB
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.