Skip to main content

Lots of these I have, some of them I don't, but they're all good suggestions:

https://www.hemmings.com/stori..._campaign=2020-11-04

This article about keeping your garage/shop neat is pretty good, too:

https://www.hemmings.com/stori..._campaign=2020-11-04

Last edited by Gordon Nichols
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You know, back when I was a kid I did a LOT of tune-ups on GM 350 V8 engines in my Dad’s school bus fleet (mostly GMCs) and I was tickled to see a “GM Distributor wrench”  as one of the 23 tools mentioned.  I couldn’t find one of those way back in the ‘60’s, so I took a 1/2” - 9/16” dual box wrench, got out the Oxy/Acetlyne torch and made my own wrench with 90° bends.  I looked in my tool chest just today and, sure enough, I still have it!

Necessity is the mother of new tools!

I always wondered why GM put the distributor waaaay at the back of the V8 and up against the firewall, rather than up at the front where it was easy to work on like Ford did.  Just another example where the motor designer never had to work on the engine and probably deserves a good swift kick in the nuts from all of the mechanics who did.

I had a 1969 Chevy convertible and went through three dizzy caps ( they kept breaking) Lucky for me we had a an old neighbor guy who despite and an 8th grade education, was chock full of integrity and always would help kids find our car issues, For me, he found a broken motor mount, a half hour and a ten spot I was good to go. More importantly the one thing that echo's in my mind... he once told me:  "Always do the extras even if no one will ever see it, that's what makes for a good night's sleep, that's called integrity. "  I certainly keep that in mind and surely do miss old man Mr. Oscar Ratz

Just another example where the motor designer never had to work on the engine and probably deserves a good swift kick in the nuts from all of the mechanics who did.

I just had the starter replaced on my 4runner. I was going to do it, but when I found out that the engine had to be jacked up and one of it's mounts removed to get at the starter, I had someone else do it. WTF.

Most modern cars are so jammed packed that you have to remove 3 things to get to the one you need.

This is also rampant in the bike industry. Everything looks cool with internal routed brake hoses and shifter housing, until you have to replace them. Also, every time they come up with a new idea, a new tool has to be bought to remove or install it.

Standards, there are no stinkin standards.

Rant over.

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.