Skip to main content

https://roadscholars.com/wheel...y-porsche-road-rims/

Lots of good info here- those with small brainsFunny ALB's class- walk away before your head explodes!

PS- And for those who figure their brains are big enough- 

I've posted this before, but for those that don't know the difference between the earlier 'deep' 6 and later 'flat' 6 Fuchs-Fuchs- flat 6 vs deep 6

"older Intermeccanica Speedster (still under wraps in the garage) a pic wouldn't show much,what with all the junk piled on it..."

On a lifelong mission (much to my wife's dismay) to prove that immaturity is forever!

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere."- Colin Chapman

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Funny ALB's class
  • Fuchs- flat 6 vs deep 6
Last edited by ALB
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Funny that they showed the 4 bolt 914 Mahle wheels which are quite different from the 5 bolt 911 ones.  Did say the 5 bolt were rare, so maybe the reason. I never liked the look but, hey, 10# a wheel is great.

No Reserve: 15×5.5″ Mahle Gas Burner Wheels for Porsche

I do remember the Mahles painted orange red or yellow on the special edition Can-Am Cream Sickle or Bumble Bee 1974 914's (500 of each color were made).  

The 1974 Porsche 914 Limited Edition and 914 GT

Here's a good reference to 914 wheel options (a bit dated though)

https://www.pelicanparts.com/t.../914_wheel_types.htm

Attachments

Images (1)
  • blobid0
Last edited by WOLFGANG
Bob: IM S6 posted:

On a lifelong mission (much to my wife's dismay) to prove that immaturity is forever!

The consensus here, Al, is that you have already reached your goal...

Thank you Bob. And I mean that most sincerely!

@WOLFGANG- Both the 4 and 5 bolt Mahles are very cool, Greg! I like them both. And being magnesium and less than 10 lbs a wheel- talk about light! With such a limited run, not many of either wheel around. 

@Gordon Nichols - I'm guessing that with the title of "An Overview of Rare Early Porsche Road Rims" maybe a second article covering later wheels was planned? Other than that, I got nothin'. There are multiple part #'s for some of the 16" widths but don't know anything other than early/late. What constitutes an early or late 16x 6, 7, or 8" wheel- I have no idea. I do know they look enough alike that without looking at the part # they are pretty much indistinguishable (that was surprisingly hard to type out!). The only thing I can think of is that maybe as the cars got heavier they used a slightly heavier slug so the wheels would be stronger? A car manufacturer normally doesn't change part #'s unless something has changed- it doesn't make sense for there to be multiple #'s for the same part. But all this is pure conjecture. It would be interesting to compare and weigh an early and late same width wheel. Does anybody know what year 16" Fuchs started showing up on 911's? 1977? '78? Again, I'm just guessing.

PS- there is a good thread with a lot of info on 15" Fuchs in the "Custom Wheel/Tire" forum on the Samba (it's easy to find as it's a sticky at the top of the page). At 23 pages, lots of adolescent drooling/idolizing over the early "heart" wheels, but my buddy Bruce mentions me on the last page, so a totally worthwhile read! There's just not the same interest in the 16" wheels with the VW crowd, though.

@WOLFGANG- I'm not surprised the Pedrinis (as you mentioned, Italian, and cast) are heavier than the 2 L Fuchs (which, of course, are forged), but if you'd asked me specifically I wouldn't necessarily have put it together, so thanks for the information. Both are very cool wheels as well. The "Performance/Engines/Transmissions" forum moderator (Glenn) on the Samba has a red '73 or '74 bug with Pedrinis- it's a great looking car.

Last edited by ALB
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.