Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Here are somethings that make reproduction gauges fun. Perhaps Carey Hines or Henry Reisener can give the history of this to me strange situation. At some point replica Speedsters were being made, first by IM. They used 914 gauges I believe. The holes in the dash were made to fit these size dials. Then, much to my liking someone made the first reproduction 356 look gauge. I have no idea who it was, or more importantly, why they made the diameter larger than an original 356 gauge.
Ron,

Have you seen what those gauges are going to look like? Take a look at my car next time you are down at IM, I showed Henry these about a month ago and he agreed they looked more than alright. The recolouring and re-calibrating and new silk screening look very close to the original look. Good job NH Speedo!!! I think its the best you can do on repro gauges.

If you are doing all the paint and fibreglass work....Why not attempt to try the original gauges?
Bill,

This is what is going into my IM-6. North Hollywood put the wrong face on the tach. It should have the same style idiot lights as the combo gauge and have two digit numbers. Henry ordered it correct they will fix it. The combo gauge you are looking at was originally used in a Porsche 904. The outside size of the original 904 case is slightly larger than a stock 356 Porsche combo gauge more like the size of the 911's but it does fit with a little fileing. Lots of people use them. Henry is going to wire one of the idiot lights to be a low fluid in the master cylinder warning as it will be hidden behind a panel in the trunk.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • P1040235
I just returned from North Hollywood Speedometer. I met with Keven and he said the 3 combo gauge is almost $600 with the senders. For the VS cars you will need a gas tank sender as well.

The gauges can be made in any size, color, a cow pattern or even your face on the face. They can add a clock to the inner part of the tach or inside/outside thermometer if you want.

Dale is correct, I will need to use 911 rubber gaskets.

Joe, thanks for the picture of your early 914 set. I ordered a custom set similar to the early 914s' except all the same size. On the tach will be 2 lights, turn and high beam. The combo gauge will have the alt and oil lights in red. Stock 356s' used a green light for low oil pressure??? The speedo will go to 120 MPH with graduations every 20.
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.