Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Like @Robert M, I think the jacket is cool and all, but any one that has anything to do with this hobby (original or replica) knows that Emory's Outlaw badges are earned, not bought. And as Robert also said, if honored and actually given one by Rod(?) Emory, it's not something you're going to turn around and sell. If you're really ok with buying a fake crest and putting it on your car, go for it.

My understanding is that Rod Emory doesn't "bestow" these on cars he likes. They are provided to cars that go through his companies restoration process into "outlaw" configurations.

He did give one to the white coupe that was a subject of an Overhaulin' episode, but he and and one of his guys could be seen all through the episode working on the car with Foose' team so that apparently qualified.

I have become less and less comfortable with having any badging on my car that labels it as something it isn't.

Sometimes I'm not sure what it is, but I know it isn't a Porsche.

The iconic body shape is enough on it's own.  I could care less what anybody else does, and I don't see this as a good/evil, honesty/dishonesty issue, but more one of taste. I absolutely appreciate a faithful recreation of a 356 and understand the desire to make one of these cars all that it can be, whatever direction that takes.

Just my $.02, of no value to anybody but myself.

Birdwell makes them... Emory used to sell directly ( I attended an event where they had them on display for sale)... but I think they now re- direct you to Birdwell who sell them under their “custom” jacket line on their web site...  you define colors, stripes, collar, etc... and they put the patch ( licensed by Emory).  160$ is what I remember.  They are bulletproof well made coats, and surf shorts!!!

I like badges and the Emory Outlaw badge is cool but what's coolest is when people or clubs make their own badge and bestow it with meaning. This club has done that several times, I think, and those badges ought to go on all our cars.

As for fakery and its dishonor: guilty. Bridget sports both a New England T Registry badge, which I scored on ebay, AND a (low) numbered T Registry brass dashboard plaque,* which I peeled off a trashed original TD dash which I scored on ebay. 

She's also got a "Brooklands School of Flying" badge which I just think is cool but would probably offend someone...and a "TD Replica.com" badge which some guys from TDReplica.com had made a few years back. Very rare! Quite ugly!

So far, no one's ever made an issue of my badge bogusness but I guess that's because Little British Car enthusiasts are maybe slightly more laid back, in general, than our Porschephile brethren. Still, if anyone ever called me out for the T registry badge I'd have to bow my head in shame. 

I have a PCA badge someone left on the Carlisle raffle table a few years ago but I don't think I'll put it on the Spyder, pretty as it is. Maybe there's room for one more weird and inappropriate badge on Bridget?

--

*In my defense, I did contact the T Registry to see about returning the plaque to its rightful owner, but they informed me they have no records that could match the plaque number to any car or member. It also hides an imperfection in my dashboard mosaic. 

Panhandle Bob posted:

You guys attending the Tour de Smo' ought to be able to come up with a great badge. Lots to work with! Twisties, mountains, trees, speeding tickets and barbeque!

Perhaps a banjo, some missing teeth, and a fire pit. Maybe 10 empty hotel rooms. And Lane's dachshunds... we can't forget the dachshunds, rotting there in doggie prison. 

How about it @Rich Drewek? Let's get on it, Wisco Ricky.

Last edited by Stan Galat
Panhandle Bob posted:

I propose that the badge feature a "Jed Clampett" type guy behind the wheel of an airborne Speedster with a Pine tree and a mountain behind him. He should be hoisting a bottle of moonshine in his right hand and a barbequed rib in his left.

The lettering should read something like: 2018 Tour De Smo' We Grilled the Dragon!

I think I might have a “ Mountain Dew” font on file that would fit the bill ....

ALB posted:

Like @Robert M, I think the jacket is cool and all, but any one that has anything to do with this hobby (original or replica) knows that Emory's Outlaw badges are earned, not bought. And as Robert also said, if honored and actually given one by Rod(?) Emory, it's not something you're going to turn around and sell. If you're really ok with buying a fake crest and putting it on your car, go for it.

I would think most people who receive one would be interested enough with keeping the car period in every way that they might opt to frame it and hang in their garage.

Sorry, Ron P, I think you miss the point.  Anyone who is that interested in "keeping the car period in every way" would be unlikely to get an Outlaw badge from Emory, either Gary or Rod.  They are all about mods, many of which are subtle, but still mods.  Gary was called the Outlaw when he turned his back on the Porsche purists and began modifying 356's before Rod was born.

Jim Kelly posted:

Sorry, Ron P, I think you miss the point.  Anyone who is that interested in "keeping the car period in every way" would be unlikely to get an Outlaw badge from Emory, either Gary or Rod.  They are all about mods, many of which are subtle, but still mods.  Gary was called the Outlaw when he turned his back on the Porsche purists and began modifying 356's before Rod was born.

Had no idea who he was or what he did. Found his website, skimmed it, and seeing this "restored to better-than-factory standards from its metal unibody and exterior to its mechanicals and interior," concluded he focused on restoring to standard. Thanks for the info.

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.