Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@dlearl476 posted:

I seem to be missing something. Besides some fancy media and a glitchy website full of broken links, what does this place have over Special Editions or Vintage? Are these metal bodies?

A physical presence in a market that's not easy to get a car into? An understanding of local emissions laws and how to meet them with a local product? The security of dealing with a local company in a local currency? Potentially shorter wait times?

In the case of comparison with Vintage, cars with a Subaru drivetrain.

More good builders is better for the hobby than less.

@Marty Grzynkowicz   Renner is a colab between Renner Auto and Beck.

@dlearl476  Renner's chassis is quite impressive.  It is a mix of my suspension with quite a few "upgrades" to meet ADR.  It has ABS, traction control, ELR/ALR seatbelts, to name a few.  All done to meet ADR.  I don't know their exact pricing, so I won't post anything too specific, but I do know they're likely the most expensive 356 replica out there and definitely start well into the 6 figures.  Anyway, Jason, owner of Renner, is a retired engineer from GM and did an amazing job not only with the design and execution of the chassis but with his eye for the finer points and following my lead on final assembly and attention to detail.

@chines1 posted:

@Marty Grzynkowicz   Renner is a colab between Renner Auto and Beck.

@dlearl476  Renner's chassis is quite impressive.  It is a mix of my suspension with quite a few "upgrades" to meet ADR.  It has ABS, traction control, ELR/ALR seatbelts, to name a few.  All done to meet ADR.  I don't know their exact pricing, so I won't post anything too specific, but I do know they're likely the most expensive 356 replica out there and definitely start well into the 6 figures.  Anyway, Jason, owner of Renner, is a retired engineer from GM and did an amazing job not only with the design and execution of the chassis but with his eye for the finer points and following my lead on final assembly and attention to detail.

I guess that puts me firmly in the “not the targeted demographic.” Local regs aside, a replica appeals to me precisely because it doesn’t have all that crap. I’d rather have a Boxster and one of yours for less money.

If they were made with repro metal bodies, I could almost see the value, but for me a replica is about a vintage experience, not just vintage looks.

Most definitely beautiful, well-made cars, though.

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.