Skip to main content

Here's another take:

356TargaCab03a

Started with a '62 Cab and added Targa bits from a '73. But - danger Will Robinson - they didn't fit at all. The Targa bar and window had to be significantly reshaped and re-proportioned to come anywhere close to the 356. If you used glass for the rear window, it would probably have to be custom. (The angle of the Targa roll bar doesn't match the angle of the A pillar - and would be even farther off for a Speedster windshield.)

Making it look 'right' would take some serious fabrication skills.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 356TargaCab03a
@Sacto Mitch posted:

Here's another take:

356TargaCab03a

Started with a '62 Cab and added Targa bits from a '73. But - danger Will Robinson - they didn't fit at all. The Targa bar and window had to be significantly reshaped and re-proportioned to come anywhere close to the 356. If you used glass for the rear window, it would probably have to be custom. (The angle of the Targa roll bar doesn't match the angle of the A pillar - and would be even farther off for a Speedster windshield.)

Making it look 'right' would take some serious fabrication skills.

There, now we're onto something.  Go with a cab, but use a removable hardtop as a base for making the targa top.  There'd be a fair amount if fiberglass fab involved, but that was always part of the plan. Nice rendering, Mitch!

A friend of mine made a vacuum table with heat lamps to form headlight covers for his replica. It is a Manta Montage, and the headlights are early 70s Can-Am racer lookalike.

I suppose you could do that with a LARGE fiberglass mold for the rear window. The mold had a bunch of evenly-spaced tiny holes that a vacuum was drawn on. The trick is to heat the plexi to Goldilocks temp. Hot enough to form, but not too hot to melt and suck the plexi into the vacuum holes. I remember it taking a while to form, but it was 15 years ago, memory is a little foggy.

I’ve seen that bubble top episode.  Ian has a crazy imagination and now gets paid to play.  Here’s how I would mock up the rear Lexan:

Get the targa bar in place.  Build a wire frame representing the bottom edge of the rear window and attach it to the rear deck.  Stretch ceconite fabric from the targa bar to the wire frame.  Brush on epoxy resin and let it harden.  Then you have the shape of the glass and can make a vacuum forming mold.

I’m leaning toward a sunroof coupe as a first 356 replica.  It would be very unique itself and have great resale value.  There were 356 coupes with sunroofs.  Show me a replica one for sale? 😉  I’ve seen how these builds can drag on and become money pits.  The 356 targa may happen before the grave hopefully.

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.