Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@edsnova posted:

You can stretch a 165mm tire onto a 5 1/2 inch rim but it takes a bit of finesse. Unless the wheels you have don't fit well on your car, your best best is stay with the narrow wheels.

I’m currently have 5 1/2s on my car. Just wanted to know if there was a advantage or should I get the 4 1/2s. I’m running swing axle set up. I would like to put 185s tires but I have no clearance between the tire and quarter panel on the drivers side.

According to a couple different websites, 165/80R15 tires fit fine on a 4.0, 4.5, or 5.0 inch rims. The sidewall is 5.2, so it will fit just fine on a 5.5" in my opinion.

When I was younger, I worked as a tire salesman during my college years and then later ended up using the machines and mounted hundreds of tires.

A larger rim is better for roadholding/handling. The skinny rim allows the sidewall to flex more than if the sidewall is straight or the beads are slightly stretched by a wider rim. We of course will NEVER go into the realm of the idiotically-stretched tuner kids.

If the rims fit and tires don't rub, I'd get the 5.5" wheels. I know most 5.5" wheels have 4" backspacing so pop yours off and measure.

Last edited by DannyP

Don't know your car maker - roof appears to be VS.  Majority of VS are swing axle.  If you have 5.5" now most likely new same width will fit.  Your rims appear to be painted vs aftermarket chrome so they could be stock 4.5" OEM VW rims (or Porsche 914 5.5 or other).  Many rims are stamped with size to include ET offset (either outside or the inside). On aftermarket Mangels it is probably on inside (under tire so it has to be removed).  I have OEM Porsche 914 5.5" ET40 Fuchs on CMC IRS with 185/60x15", fit is tight on driver side rear.  You can sand fiberglass lip and inside of wheel well to get 1/4" or more. I'd love to put rear disc brakes on mine - but suspect even the zero offset ones would cause an issue.

The '70's Porsche 914 (with appearance group) came with 5.5 rims (steel or alloy) and 165/80 HR tires.  Back in VW bug days, I've always seen 155/80x15 used on the 4/4.5" VW rims.  Both 155 and even 165 are hard to find.

Your rims look clean in your avatar.  Why not sand and repaint them silver - or have them blasted and powder coated?  A lot of new rims are made overseas (and not Germany) - the chrome ones are pretty much junk.  They rust if you breath on them.

Marking on Mangels -

Image result for mangel vw rim size

914 Pedrinis -

See the source image

@DannyP posted:

According to a couple different websites, 165/80R15 tires fit fine on a 4.0, 4.5, or 5.0 inch rims. The sidewall is 5.2, so it will fit just fine on a 5.5" in my opinion.

When I was younger, I worked as a tire salesman during my college years and then later ended up using the machines and mounted hundreds of tires.

A larger rim is better for roadholding/handling. The skinny rim allows the sidewall to flex more than if the sidewall is straight or the beads are slightly stretched by a wider rim. We of course will NEVER go into the realm of the idiotically-stretched tuner kids.

If the rims fit and tires don't rub, I'd get the 5.5" wheels. I know most 5.5" wheels have 4" backspacing so pop yours off and measure.

My tires don’t rub now. I don’t want to sacrifice handling. Looks like the 5.5s

@WOLFGANG posted:

Don't know your car maker - roof appears to be VS.  Majority of VS are swing axle.  If you have 5.5" now most likely new same width will fit.  Your rims appear to be painted vs aftermarket chrome so they could be stock 4.5" OEM VW rims (or Porsche 914 5.5 or other).  Many rims are stamped with size to include ET offset (either outside or the inside). On aftermarket Mangels it is probably on inside (under tire so it has to be removed).  I have OEM Porsche 914 5.5" ET40 Fuchs on CMC IRS with 185/60x15", fit is tight on driver side rear.  You can sand fiberglass lip and inside of wheel well to get 1/4" or more. I'd love to put rear disc brakes on mine - but suspect even the zero offset ones would cause an issue.

The '70's Porsche 914 (with appearance group) came with 5.5 rims (steel or alloy) and 165/80 HR tires.  Back in VW bug days, I've always seen 155/80x15 used on the 4/4.5" VW rims.  Both 155 and even 165 are hard to find.

Your rims look clean in your avatar.  Why not sand and repaint them silver - or have them blasted and powder coated?  A lot of new rims are made overseas (and not Germany) - the chrome ones are pretty much junk.  They rust if you breath on them.

Marking on Mangels -

Image result for mangel vw rim size

914 Pedrinis -

See the source image

Don’t know who made the car. My rims I have now are chrome just have a lot of scratches from the previous owners taking off the hub caps and some rust.

2002 VS

165 HR15 Veredestein Sprint Classics all the way around.

Wide 5 Mangels - 4.5 on the front, 5.5 on the rear.

Ball joint front end with 2 1/2" drop spindles and discs on the front and adjustable beam.

Swing axle rear. Not a ton of clearance to the fenders but no rubbing, ever.

Some minor rubbing at the front when taken to lock, but beam adjustment lifting the front maybe an inch took it out.

Still sits well below stock in the front. Rear is restricted because of the exhaust.

Last edited by Panhandle Bob
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.