Skip to main content

Well the shroud is bolted to the motor in it's final state and the motor is awaiting an exhaust. Here is what I plan to do:

The motor:

1914cc freshly rebuilt and needs to be broken in.

Taking reading:

exhaust gas temp on all 4 pipe

have means of checking all 4 cylinder temps

I plan to take readings also with a Bluepoint infared thermometer

I have the stock 36hp fan shroud to use as a baseline.

Tach and oil temp and presure gauges have been installed.

The plan:

I was planing to run the motor for 20 mins on the first run.
taking readings off the motor after 2, 5, 8, 10 , 12, 14,

This needs to be done both under load and at idle... I am not sure which way exaclty first.... I want make sure my fan exceeds the stock one in every way.

Are there any other things I should take into consideration? I should start it on middle of next week...

Once I make sure it preforms I will be taking a unit to Jake Raby (at his convenience) and we will do some other head to head...I am not trying to be an expert but i want to see what I already feel is true and prove that this shroud will out perform any other shroud ever put on a type I motor....

Let's wait and see....any help would be appriciated

Dario

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well the shroud is bolted to the motor in it's final state and the motor is awaiting an exhaust. Here is what I plan to do:

The motor:

1914cc freshly rebuilt and needs to be broken in.

Taking reading:

exhaust gas temp on all 4 pipe

have means of checking all 4 cylinder temps

I plan to take readings also with a Bluepoint infared thermometer

I have the stock 36hp fan shroud to use as a baseline.

Tach and oil temp and presure gauges have been installed.

The plan:

I was planing to run the motor for 20 mins on the first run.
taking readings off the motor after 2, 5, 8, 10 , 12, 14,

This needs to be done both under load and at idle... I am not sure which way exaclty first.... I want make sure my fan exceeds the stock one in every way.

Are there any other things I should take into consideration? I should start it on middle of next week...

Once I make sure it preforms I will be taking a unit to Jake Raby (at his convenience) and we will do some other head to head...I am not trying to be an expert but i want to see what I already feel is true and prove that this shroud will out perform any other shroud ever put on a type I motor....

Let's wait and see....any help would be appriciated

Dario

Dario: I would break a new engine in first on the dyno using the traditional fanshroud set up. This will rule out any engine problems on a freshly rebuilt engine.

Then you can get your carbs set up or any ignition timing items out of the way. Once everything is running smoothly I would get the base line figures with the 36hp fan shroud set up.

Then as the engine cools off disassemble the engine tin and install you 4cam fan shroud kit (very cool). Check the valve lash and run the engine with your 4 cam fan shroud.

This way any problems you encounter will be easy to spot. We build quite a few engines at out shop a year. When we rebuild and engine and the customer adds a Super/tubro charger, we always break in and set up the engine on the dyno without that equipement (keep it naturally aspirated). This way if there is a problem with an after market item, it is easier to spot (it ran well in stock form but does not idle when some high performance items are added. Or runs too lean/hot).

Where are you mounting your oil cooler?

My 10 year wedding aniversary is in sept 04. The traditional 10 year gift is tin. So I hope you have it all set up by then. I already showed my wife your jpgs.
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.