Skip to main content

I searched this topic but couldn't find any results was wondering if anyone that bought becks 4 lug 10 hole wheel had any success with any other hubcap than a "c" cap which is my last resort because I didn't want the look of a flat cap and/or a Crest. Wasn't sure if anyone experimented by customizing a moon cap to fit etc. I wasnt aware until yesterday when I went to put my new stainless steel baby moons on that they don't fit . I like the wheel gap in my fender well and with a flat cap it takes away the look I want and makes the gal to big looking odd. I can't find any moon caps with an inner dimension of only 6.5 inches and it appears only 3 of the 4 bumps have ridges that aren't deep enough to hold a cap on so the clips seem the only option unless hopefully someone crafted a nifty way . Finger crossed 

Cheers!

Jane

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I believe that in order to make a moon style hubcap fit the Beck wheel you have to re-profile the ridges on the rim where they grab on to the hubcap. At @chines1 might be able to answer this question more definitively. I have the Beck 10 slot rims and used the C-style hubcap because I didn't want to alter the rim. If you don't want the crest on the hubcap you could have someone fill the small hole in the center of the hubcap and have the hubcaps re-chromed; I almost went that route but eventually custom fit my Porsche crests to fit the C-style hubcap. I had to do that because the crest had three posts and there is only one hole in the Beck hubcaps. Seems a bit excessive but the heart wants what the heart wants.

Hubcap

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Hubcap
Last edited by Robert M

I have been contemplating a wheel swap for some time.  I, too, want ten slot wheels and there are a few options:

1. Ten D slot wheels from Beck.  The hubcaps can use the crests or you can have the hole filled and cap re-chromed like @Robert M mentioned above.  A good chrome shop can make the modifications and you won’t even be able to tell.  If you go this route, I’d suggest using their caps and modifying the crest mount as opposed to trying to make a different cap fit the wheel.  The wheel is powder coated and not chrome.

2. Ten slot five lug wheels from Vintage Motorcars.  This entails a fair bit more work including changing spindles, hubs, etc.  Not an impossible job but it can get kinda pricey...partly because I’d convert to rear disc brakes if I’m going that far.  These wheels are chrome or polished but could also be painted or powder coated.

I haven’t made up my mind yet but those are the only two options I am aware of at this point.  I’m still not sure if I want chrome wheels or powder coated grey wheels with chrome baby moons.  Both shops have all the little bits you’ll need no matter which direction you go.  I’ve talked to both Greg at Vintage and Carey at Beck about this and both have been incredibly helpful and resourceful.

I’ll say this though: every “little” change I make seems to bring a “big” list of additional things I didn’t initially think about.  Add wheels to that list!

I have (well, now Pete has) a set of 4-lug, 10-hole Beck wheels from an earlier run Carey did back in '08.  They've had baby moons on them since I got them, without one ever falling off, but these wheels look much different than the current Beck rims, which more closely resemble the disk-braked C model.  That car also had the flatter hubcap with a center crest.

That reminds me - Hey Pete, I have some extra hubcaps at home I'll bring to Carlisle next year just in case you need a spare.

chines1 posted:

Yes the nubs have to be massaged in order to fit moons or nipple caps.

You can buy hubcaps with no holes drilled from several of the Porsche parts suppliers, or we have them with a single centered hole.  The are the same as 356C and 912.

@chines1 excellent information Carey. I didn't realize there were C-style hubcaps without holes available. I like mine with the crests but that information will help others who might want a C-style hubcap with no crest.

Thanks all great suggestions 

Appreciate the picture of your Beck Robert

I never really took notice before  but looking at your crested c caps I'm pleasantly surprised I'm not even sure if I didnt know they were flat that I'd take notice I think because they rest on the outside of the raised 4 pointed area which I didnt consider when comparing to my old 8 holes wheels. Really appreciate  it I just bought the c caps without the holes which leaves me with the 4 stainless steel moon caps that are a year old if anyone is interested let me know I can take pictures paid $100 will sell for $50.

Cheers!

Robert M posted:
Tom Buchanan posted:

Will the C caps from Beck fit on a stock 4 lug VW wheel ???

Yes. I have the 10 slot 4 lug rims from Beck and the only difference between them and the 4 lug Mangles is mine Beck rims have a clip that is riveted to the rim. I’d need I can take a hubcap off and send a photo. 

Tom Buchanan posted:

That would be great !  Thanks

I hate it when I use my phone to post and don't proofread it first. I sound like a blathering idiot.

Yes. I have the 10 slot 4 lug rims from Beck and the only difference between them and the 4 lug Mangles is mine the Beck rims have a clip that is riveted to the rim. I’d If you need me to I can take a hubcap off and send a photo. 

IMG_5373IMG_5374

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMG_5373
  • IMG_5374
Last edited by Robert M
Robert M posted:
Robert M posted:
Tom Buchanan posted:

Yes. I have the 10 slot 4 lug rims from Beck and the only difference between them and the 4 lug Mangles is mine Beck rims have a clip that is riveted to the rim. I’d need I can take a hubcap off and send a photo. 

Tom Buchanan posted:

I hate it when I use my phone to post and don't proofread it first. I sound like a blathering idiot.

Yes. I have the 10 slot 4 lug rims from Beck and the only difference between them and the 4 lug Mangles is mine the Beck rims have a clip that is riveted to the rim. I’d If you need me to I can take a hubcap off and send a photo. 

IMG_5373IMG_5374

@Tom Buchanan Here are the photos I promised you. Apologies for the delay.

Thank you.  That's what I need !!

On Thursday, November 7, 2019, 03:37:20 PM EST, SpeedsterOwners.com <**************> wrote:

New Topic Reply Mention
| == To reply by email, write above this line. == |
|
| |
| Hello, Tom Buchanan: You were mentioned by Robert M in the following topic reply.
| Subject: 4 lug 10 hole hubcaps Reply By: Robert M In: Speedsters / General (Non-Technical) | |

Robert M posted:
Robert M posted:
Tom Buchanan posted:

Tom Buchanan posted:

@Tom Buchanan Here are the photos I promised you. Apologies for the delay.
  View This Topic Reply SpeedsterOwners.com - 356 Speedsters, 550 Spyders, Replicas and more https://www.speedsterowners.com To adjust your email notifications for this site, please update your notification settings. To suspend ALL email notifications from this site, click here. |
|
------------------- Speedsters For Sale -------------------
------- www.DrivenToys.com ------
|

|
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.