Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

4x130, 5x130 and 5x205 all use different hubcaps and attach in different manors.

4x130 can have the small flat hubcap on clips or a large moon that holds the ID of the cap with bumps on the wheel.

5x130 has a small flat cap that holds the OD of the cap with bumps in the wheel.

5x205 has a large moon held by clips.

Although they have very similar visual cues, they all have different shapes to the back side and inner, and are not interchangable.

Thanks much for the detail.

Yeah in my case with my 4 lug wheels that only have 4 bumps  I cannot get an EMPI or so far any nipple cap to seat. You would ruin the cap.

I have the JBUG's wheels (4.5")  but had the same issue using a 914 wheel from Sierra Madre Collection (5.5").

All 4 x 130mm, no clips.

The caps are around a 240-241 mm diameter at the mounting edge.

That "large moon" you refer to....manufacturer? That would be my 2nd choice.

Years ago on SOC, Annaliese picked up a new VS and on drive home lost 3 of the 4 hub cabs. She didn't keep the car very long! VS solution was silicone caulk.

hub cap problem | SpeedsterOwners.com - 356 Speedsters, 550 Spyders, Replicas and more

AnnalieseAnnaliese

i have officially lost 7 hub caps in a total time of about 10 minutes because of whatever the problem is. the 8th is sitting behind my driver's seat right now.

Last edited by WOLFGANG

The problem with the 4 lug wheels today re: moon (or nipple) hubcaps is that the tooling for the wheel itself is old and over time it lost the sharp edge required to hold the caps in place.  I can tell you from experience, even when they were "correct", that they look like they'd never fit and they take a hard and swift hit to get them on.  Plus you have to hit the edge or you'll dent the cap.  BUT, today it's pretty pointless on a stock wheel.  Even if you get them on, they'll usually pop off the first time you hit a good bump in the road.  I HAVE taken a dremel tool and reshaped this area to better hold the cap, however it leaves raw steel and is a royal pain to get it to hold...  Thus, the only cap that fits and holds is the one on clips.  You can buy the clips and drill and rivet them on.

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.