Skip to main content

Classified postings do not allow for discussion (replies are not allowed).  Direct message the member if you would like to discuss the item.
The Classified section is open to any individual (non-commercial firms) posting of items for sale. Members posting commercial advertisements must be enrolled in a Supporting Merchant program. 
Postings without relevant details (PRICE, location, condition, etc.) will be deleted.

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have seen this before while purchasing my Healey. Be very careful!

All photos where of a car that was up for sale by some body else and when I ordered the PPI it was a no show. Cost me a couple $$$

i would ask for a third party that has known a car. For example the shop that is was last worked on. Call them and ask questions

i would do a little research on the seller. Not a  hard thing to do.

if it is too good to be true then.. ya’ll know the rest of the story 

WNGD posted:

You don't see scams with this lavel of photos and detail. The seller has been an ebay member since 2011 although with limited feedback. That's a long time to plan a car scam lol

Almost non-existent feedback (4) with nothing current, all feedback given or received is more than a year old and the seller's response to someone was "awesome sauce". Not a very promising endorsement for this being legit.

The legitimacy of the ad is being discussed on several other boards. 

I just noticed that the VIN # of this car is 1965356 as in 1965 Porsche 356. Not very creative.

Last edited by Robert M
WNGD posted:

You don't see scams with this lavel of photos and detail. The seller has been an ebay member since 2011 although with limited feedback. That's a long time to plan a car scam lol

The actual eBay user who owns that name was probably hacked.  The hacker changes the password and takes over the identity and then posts the car at a very low price.  They don't expect to get the full amount, just a deposit to "seal the deal." The buyer is excited to get such a great deal and sends the money and the fake seller disappears.

Exactly what happened to me on SAMBA a few months ago.

They are very creative about how they get the password.  In my case they actually created a SAMBA login page that looked exactly like the real SAMBA page.  Then they sent me a text with a link to the fake SAMBA page, telling me they saw my car priced very low and thought I was hacked.  I clicked the link and it looked just like the SAMBA page so I tried to log in and, of course I couldn't, but they had my password at that point.

The next thing I did was contact the SAMBA admin to ask him why I couldn't log in and he informed me what had happened and fixed it. 

I'm pretty tech savvy, but they got me anyway. The lesson learned was ALWAYS look at the actual address not just the page.  If I had done that I would have seen that even though it had SAMBA in the address, it wasn't at the start of the address, like http://www.thesamba.com

I HATE SCAMMERS. 

Last edited by Troy Sloan

Yup.  They are hoping that you will act quickly and make the deposit because it's such a great deal.  Typically, but not always, you can't actually talk to them on the phone, only via text or email.

Just in case there is anyone who doesn't already know, you can send text messages via the Internet without even owning a phone.

I was jerking around an obvious scammer once who told me he was deaf and could only communicate via text.

Last edited by Troy Sloan
Troy Sloan posted:

Yup.  They are hoping that you will act quickly and make the deposit because it's such a great deal.  Typically, but not always, you can't actually talk to them on the phone, only via text or email.

Just in case there is anyone who doesn't already know, you can send text messages via the Internet without even owning a phone.

I was jerking around an obvious scammer once who told me he was deaf and could only communicate via text.

Was the seller deployed overseas but the car was safely in storage and could be sent to you after a small deposit so he would "take all the risk" and you could decide to pay only after you have possession of the car and have it inspected?

That guy has a lot of cars for sale 

Troy Sloan posted:

...I clicked the link and it looked just like the SAMBA page so I tried to log in and, of course I couldn't, but they had my password at that point.

NEVER log into any page that you arrive at through a link. 

Even if you're already on a web site you trust and they want you to log back in for some reason. THEIR site may have been hacked.

Bookmark any page that you log into regularly - your bank, credit cards, etc., and if you must log into those sites for any reason, use the link in your bookmarks list to get to the log-in page.

Be careful out there.

Not making light of your troubles, Troy.

Just trying to show how easy it is to copy the look of a web page. They don't have to recreate the graphics, they can just steal them and put up exact copies.

I think that's why most banking and credit card websites incorporate animated graphics - they're harder to fake.

OurSponsor02

Attachments

Images (1)
  • OurSponsor02
Last edited by Sacto Mitch

I know Mitch and you're not really jerk.  It's a good topic that hopefully we can help others avoid.

I'm seeing more and more use of dual authentication and I like it.  I'm sure you already know how it works, but I'll explain for anyone who doesn't.

When I log in to Yahoo from my computer, I get a text message on my phone asking if I'm attempting to log in.  I need to reply to that text that I am logging in and if I don't I can't get in.

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.